Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 04:19 PM

5 posts, read 6,980 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-

I'll just accept an offer to work in DC. I am married but my wife will not move with me this time. What would be an ideal place to live? VA, DC, MD? I still have a mortgage payment in another state so I am looking for a place that less than $1000. I will be working in DC Monday-Thursday and work at home on Friday. Any suggestion i would greatly appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 04:22 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnph View Post
Hi everyone-

I'll just accept an offer to work in DC. I am married but my wife will not move with me this time. What would be an ideal place to live? VA, DC, MD? I still have a mortgage payment in another state so I am looking for a place that less than $1000. I will be working in DC Monday-Thursday and work at home on Friday. Any suggestion i would greatly appreciate.
An apartment less than $1000? I'm not sure, but I think that's going to be hard to find. You might need a roomate situation to achieve that.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:06 PM

313 posts, read 551,730 times
so I am looking for a place that less than $1000

not possible without a roommate or a generous offer to live in a basement and even then you're gonna hate your commute. Any apartment offering less than a grand around here has something extremely fishy about it. My advice would be to convince your wife to make the move with you.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 PM

446 posts, read 1,648,184 times
Yeah, an apartment with rent under $1,000 is probably not going to be an environment you're going to want to live in.

Check Craigslist for a roommate situation OR have your wife come here. Sounds like it may be tough to sell your home out of state though first. Where are you coming from?

Old 02-07-2010, 06:13 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Hold on... I think it's possible to find a decent place for $1000. You might have to settle for a basement apt, or a studio/efficency, but it's possible. There are people who are renting out their condos. I suggest searching on Criagslist just to see whats out there. You will have to sift through all the junk ads, but there might be some legit rentals that suit your needs. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:41 PM

372 posts, read 1,116,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Hold on... I think it's possible to find a decent place for $1000.
No, they don't. The cheapest is about $1250

Old 02-07-2010, 06:54 PM

569 posts, read 1,058,702 times
where in DC is your job? Is that $1000 / month including utilities and commuting costs? This makes a big impact as to the recommendations...

as Guamanians suggested, check out craigslist and other places where people in trouble with money would rent. Also, make sure that you research the area that its in. You can probably get a good deal this way, but it might take a while. Other than renting phrom a person that really needs to rent out a space you're likely going to have these options to spend under $1000 / month:

many options in SE DC and parts ov MD bordering it - you're literally risking your liphe living in most ov these places though

get an income-assisted apartment in a decent area. I can't imagine that they're the best places around but they should be serviceable assuming the area is good. You need to make under about $45k / year phor this though

get a roommate and split a 2 BR place in a decent end-ov-the-metro suburb such as Huntington (Alexandria), VA, Vienna, VA or Gaithersburg, MD where you'll likely have a commute anywhere phrom about 30 min iph you're lucky to a little over an hour iph you're not.

get a roommate and live in a 2 BR place a couple miles outside ov the metro area such as Centreville, VA, Manassas, VA, Woodbridge, VA or Germantown, MD. You will likely save a lot more money here as you'll personally be spending about $700 - $800, but your commute will be about an hour to an hour and a 1/2 or more.

get 2 roommates and split a 3BR place in a good part ov the city or a good, close-in suburb like Ballston, VA, Crystal City, VA, or Bethesda, MD. This will give you the shortest commute, most convenience, etc. but you'll obviously have to deal with 2 other people.

you also might be able to get a place in the city with 1 roommate but it will probably be bordering right on your $1000 limit phor something in a good area.

(BTW, my eph key is broken so I've had to get creative with some spelling ...)

Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
To be honest, I think you're better off taking a gamble on roommates than getting one of those places that appear to be exceptional bargains on Craigs List. If it sounds too good to be true, something's wrong. It's probably a swindle.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:16 PM

313 posts, read 551,730 times
BTW, my eph key is broken so I've had to get creative with some spelling

I was seriously impressed how far you made it before you had to use the "f" key. well done.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:46 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_monk View Post
No, they don't. The cheapest is about $1250
So, the absolute cheapest place he can find is $1250? Apartment complexes love for people to think that...
It might take awhile, but if he shops around he can find something for $1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia