Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:46 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,323 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my sister just called me about visiting here later this year with her husband and two-year-old daughter. She opened the conversation with something like - "You know how you're always telling me there aren't any yuppie-cutesy historical towns/neighborhoods in Northern Virginia?" (she means the Fairfax Co. area - everything minus parts of Alexandria City, basically; and, as a person who hasn't spent much time on the East Coast, she's always been really incredulous towards my assertations about NoVA). "Well," she continued, "I found a place that looks just awesome - Tysons Corner! Have you ever heard of that? It looks like it's sort of out in the woods, so maybe there'd be hiking trails or something like that, plus it has a cool little downtown area where we could grab a bagel or something in the morning."

Once I finally stopped laughing, I was like, "whoa, whoa, whoa... WHAT? Tysons corner is out in the woods and has a cute little historical downtown? No, no, no. Exactly where did you get this information?" She explained that she found it on the web page for the Ritz-Carlton's Tysons Corner location (apparently, you can stay there for something like $130/night, which is almost unheard of for that chain). So I looked at the web page, and - sure enough - there was a slide show-type thing with pictures of people walking in the woods, a guy dressed up in American Revolution-era garb, and a shot of some cute little (unidentified) historical-looking downtown location - somewhere in DC proper? (Mind you, Ritz-Carlton has two DC-proper locations, plus one in Arlington [Pentagon City], which have totally different marketing copy and images.) They even have the gall to mention the convenience of DC Metro's Silver Line, which is coming very soon!

One of the funniest parts of the crazy spin they put on the Tysons Corner location is that rooms on one side of the hotel have "Blue Ridge Mountain views." Does that mean that I'll be living in the Blue Ridge Mountains when I move to Fairfax? I'd maybe accept Piedmont/foothills, but that's obviously not the impression the R-C's ad people are wanting to give.

Anyway, to get to the main point of all this, does anyone know what location is depicted in this photograph? (It's the one that made my sister think she could run down the street for a morning bagel in the adorable little town of Tysons Corner. Incidentally, she was strongly opposed to staying in a resort in a large suburban shopping mall, however, um, 'nice.' )

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 02-08-2010 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 03:52 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,575 times
Hahahahahahahahahahaha *dies*

What? That picture is just like Tysons, I don't know what you're talking about.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Looks a lot like this.

Inmagine is a stock photo company. Lame, Ritz-Carlton!

Old 02-08-2010, 04:14 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Ooooo, Ritz Carlton.... liar liar pants on fire!

Except, of course, for the photo of the guy dressed up in American Revoluation-era garb. Everyone around here dresses like that. As long as it's not casual Friday of course.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:31 PM

You can see the image comparison a little better here. I wish I knew where the photo was taken, though!

Old 02-08-2010, 04:39 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Kinda looks like Leesburg, which means 45 minutes after getting dressed, she could grab her bagel.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,323 times
That is downright bizarre!! I, too, would really like to know what location is shown in the photo. Maybe it could be a contest for the C-D community at large... ?

Hehehe... it'd be funny if the American Revoluation [sic - hehehe... thanks for catching my typo, normie ]-era-looking guy is from some re-enactment event in Boston or Philly or someplace (or, even better, totally staged in some non-East Coast city like LA).

Old 02-08-2010, 04:53 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
It's Georgetown. Here's the link on the English version of Inmagine's site, with caption: http://www.inmagine.com/gwis008/gwj29365443-photo

Quote:
Buildings along a road, M street, Georgetown, Washington DC, USA

Old 02-08-2010, 05:02 PM

Good catch! "Buildings along a road," it's heart-stirring!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:05 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
But actually, from the Tysons Ritz, you can see the Blue Ridge waaaaaay in the distance on a very clear day. And in the other direction waaaaaay in the distance on a very clear day, you can see the National Cathedral. Tyson's sits on a high spot and the Ritz has quite a few floors. So, I'll give them that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia