U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2010, 06:53 AM
 
247 posts, read 411,919 times
Reputation: 168
Default Supposed to fly out of Dulles Friday afternoon

Anyone wanna make a prediction??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC (formerly Vienna, VA)
5,624 posts, read 5,421,904 times
Reputation: 4029
Good luck with that. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 07:51 AM
 
1,258 posts, read 1,047,961 times
Reputation: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpascal View Post
Anyone wanna make a prediction??
Eh, I'm supposed to fly back into Reagan on Friday afternoon, but I'm not counting on it at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 08:05 AM
 
2,439 posts, read 5,693,501 times
Reputation: 894
We had friends from DC visiting us in the strangely snow-less snowbelt this past weekend who were supposed to fly back on Friday night. That didn't happen, and the Saturday re-book was cancelled too. They could not get a flight into Reagan anytime on Sunday, but did manage to get a flight into Dulles on Sunday afternoon. Apparently the snow removal process is more complicated at Reagan because, since there is no place to dump it, it has to be hauled away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Loudoun Cty, Virginia
732 posts, read 1,510,864 times
Reputation: 574
My Roommate's flight actually took off this past saturday evening. Her Friday flight was obviously cancelled, but apparently it gave Dulles time to clear all the runways and allow international flights to proceed on schedule.

I was rather jealous that she was leaving for Dubai while we were stuck here with multiple feet of snow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 04:21 AM
 
Location: Gainesville, VA
1,167 posts, read 3,492,546 times
Reputation: 569
Put a snow shovel and brush in your car is all I can say. We were due to land at Dulles at noon on Saturday after being in Ethiopia to pick up our adopted son. We got stuck in NYC for Saturday night at our expense! Luckily the flight I chose for Sunday was able to make it to DC, but was delayed by almost 2 hours. We finally landed around 9 pm. We asked the shuttle bus driver if they had people to dig our car out. He said sure sure... I'll call them right now. Rolls eyes. Yeah right. There's like 1 group of snow shovelers for an entire parking lot, or so it seemed. So I had originally parked at the end, so hubby only had to clear out one side and the spot in front of us was already cleared. It still took awhile to get the car cleared. It was an adventure driving down 28 at 11 pm Sunday. Can't see where lanes are, so just followed the car in front of us. A trip that normally takes 30 minutes or less, took 1.5 hours.

Also the shuttle bus driver teased us about dropping us at our car. He kept asking where we parked. So when we were right at it, he refused to turn the bus right and go another couple hundred feet to put us right by our car. Needless to say I was extremely upset with a child and 8 pieces of luggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 04:26 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC (formerly Vienna, VA)
5,624 posts, read 5,421,904 times
Reputation: 4029
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Put a snow shovel and brush in your car is all I can say. We were due to land at Dulles at noon on Saturday after being in Ethiopia to pick up our adopted son. We got stuck in NYC for Saturday night at our expense! Luckily the flight I chose for Sunday was able to make it to DC, but was delayed by almost 2 hours. We finally landed around 9 pm. We asked the shuttle bus driver if they had people to dig our car out. He said sure sure... I'll call them right now. Rolls eyes. Yeah right. There's like 1 group of snow shovelers for an entire parking lot, or so it seemed. So I had originally parked at the end, so hubby only had to clear out one side and the spot in front of us was already cleared. It still took awhile to get the car cleared. It was an adventure driving down 28 at 11 pm Sunday. Can't see where lanes are, so just followed the car in front of us. A trip that normally takes 30 minutes or less, took 1.5 hours.

Also the shuttle bus driver teased us about dropping us at our car. He kept asking where we parked. So when we were right at it, he refused to turn the bus right and go another couple hundred feet to put us right by our car. Needless to say I was extremely upset with a child and 8 pieces of luggage.
Congratulations on the adoption! How exciting for you. The weather must be a huge change for him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 04:38 AM
 
Location: Gainesville, VA
1,167 posts, read 3,492,546 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Congratulations on the adoption! How exciting for you. The weather must be a huge change for him!
Thanks! He was familiar with the snow since we were able to send him a video that included footage from the December 19 snow. He told us when he is hot he would lay down on the snow. This I have yet to see When we got to the hotel in NYC, he found a little patch of snow and picked it up and was playing with it. He played with the snow a bit on Monday. I think he's over the snow at the moment. Haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 04:44 AM
 
510 posts, read 543,324 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Thanks! He was familiar with the snow since we were able to send him a video that included footage from the December 19 snow. He told us when he is hot he would lay down on the snow. This I have yet to see When we got to the hotel in NYC, he found a little patch of snow and picked it up and was playing with it. He played with the snow a bit on Monday. I think he's over the snow at the moment. Haha.
Congratulations, I knew you had been working on this for a very very long time now. How odd is it though for you to bring him here in the middle of the worst winter this area has seen in maybe 30 years or more? He may soon, like the rest of us say, "stop the snow"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 04:48 AM
 
Location: Gainesville, VA
1,167 posts, read 3,492,546 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
Congratulations, I knew you had been working on this for a very very long time now. How odd is it though for you to bring him here in the middle of the worst winter this area has seen in maybe 30 years or more? He may soon, like the rest of us say, "stop the snow"!
We certainly won't forget his arrival that is for sure! Everyone who was picking up their kid at the same time us told him to tell him we planned all this snow for him. (It's more like this is my bad luck at play) I wonder if he thinks the snow is a permanent thing.

I think one other family was affected by the snow. They were supposed to fly from Ethiopia, refuel in Rome and then on to Dulles. The airline told them if they got stuck in Italy, they would have to send them back to Ethiopia because their child did not have a visa and could not exit the plane?!? Crazy/doesn't make sense. In the end the flight was cancelled and they did get into Dulles Sunday afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top