Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,625,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax View Post
...Large parts of Loudoun County seem to be hit or miss...

You must be mistaken.

We've been assured that Loudoun County does not allow a snowflake to hit the pavement...they catch 'em on the way down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 01:35 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,844,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
Also, I hope that the plow drivers are able to get enough rest between shifts...I've heard that in some cases they just keep going for 24 hours+ straight...which can't be a safe thing to do while driving a massive vehicle.
Amen! Snow plow drivers deserve (and need) to rest. It's not safe for drivers to just work-work-work-WORK until every little side road is completely cleared. And I don't mean to sound annoyed, but it grates on my nerves when people complain about roads that are "only" passable. If roads are passable, for the next few days that should be good enough.

Pardon my sarcasm... but is it really the end of the world if someone on a residential side street has to drive slowly today? Patience is a virtue, remember?

Last edited by normie; 02-09-2010 at 03:03 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 01:45 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,443,077 times
I think they're doing the best they can...they're certainly not sitting on their duff. I drove from Round Hill to Middleburg - most decidedly not what I'd call a major route - and every road I went on was absolutely clear and down to blacktop. I passed at least 6-8 plows working to widen the roads. I'm actually pretty impressed, 3 feet of snow considered.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
You must be mistaken.

We've been assured that Loudoun County does not allow a snowflake to hit the pavement...they catch 'em on the way down!
It's our secret strategy-- we zap 'em with flame throwers!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I'm actually pretty impressed, 3 feet of snow considered.
Yes, three feet of snow is a massive amount to clear. In other storms one old lady (i.e. me) has been able to clear our long driveway in about 2 hours. This storm it took my three beefy grandsons a full day, and all they cleared was a tunnel wide enough for our skinniest car. And they were using the snowblower.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:02 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,574,586 times
I'm trying to figure out VDOT's reasoning or method of plowing without being too critical. I live in Eastern Prince William County and, while we didn't get 30 inches of snow, we got close to 24 inches.

I think VDOT has done a phenomenal job in PWC. Yesterday was sort of sketchy but today all the major secondary roads were in excellent shape and they were out in full force with bulldozers today pushing back the snow around the entrances to neighborhoods. My neighborhood, which has no contract for plowing, has seen a VDOT plow eight times.

I have three friends in FFX county (one in Fairfax near George Mason, one in West Springfield, and one in Clifton II (Centerville, really) and neither of them have had ONE plow come through their neighborhood. I think it's crazy. How is it that PWC is getting so much attention and others getting none?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:03 PM

131 posts, read 424,921 times
actually the roads ScranBarre is talking about looked pretty bad. haven't driven on them but saw some cars stuck there trying to pull onto baron cameron this morning. Sunset hills surprised me too, monday morning westbound was already 2 lanes clear and east was about one and a half lanes clear, while baron cameron, reston parkway, sunrise valley, etc. were still pretty bad. Market street in RTC was also awesomely cleared.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 PM

26,680 posts, read 41,537,277 times
SB, I hate to use the "this is Virginia" excuse but the reality is this is not normal for Virginia. I can understand your frustration. I went to run a few errands today and I think the way the snow in the roads in the immeadiate Landmark area are appalling, but how often does VDOT deal with 20-30 inches of snow? I've been in Virginia 19 years (NoVA for 5, Hampton Roads for 14.) and this is the worst winter I can remember.

The thing that makes this worse is people still driving like they have no sense.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 02-09-2010 at 02:23 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 02:10 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,574,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
S I went to run a few errands today and I think the way the snow in the roads in the immeadiate Landmark area are appalling, but how often does VDOT deal with 20-30 inches of snow?
I heard from someone today that 95 is pretty good but 395 "sucks."

Old 02-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
SB, I hate to use the "this is Virginia" excuse but the reality is this is not normal for Virginia. I can understand your frustration. I went to run a few errands today and I think the way the snow in the roads in the immeadiate Landmark area are appalling, but how often does VDOT deal with 20-30 inches of snow?

The thing that makes this worse is people still driving like they have no sense.
Thanks Alanboy--those are all things I wish I had said. Especially the sentence "I can understand your frustration." I should have said that, but forgot. We all DO understand the frustration, and we do feel sympathy. It's just that complaining about people who really are doing the best they can doesn't help. Right now the only thing to do is hunker down, keep your chin up, stay off the roads so road crews can do their job, and remember in a few days things will be much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia