Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,822,471 times

Advertisements

I understand that we all need to be informed about the weather and closings, but is it necessary for the news to be all about the snow for hours? I hate when the newscaster is standing in the snow and asking various people walking by, dumb questions about how they are dealing with the snow, or when he is describing how big the snow flakes are etc. I also dislike it when the reporter walks thru the store and talks about how much bread and milk people are buying! What about Chocolate and junk food, Beer?! On one station the reporter was interviewing a woman with garbage bags on her feet, jogging! We are stuck inside and our favorite shows are cancelled because of the snow news! It is comical, but what a pain to miss Cops on Saturday!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:03 PM

26,688 posts, read 41,593,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I understand that we all need to be informed about the weather and closings, but is it necessary for the news to be all about the snow for hours? I hate when the newscaster is standing in the snow and asking various people walking by, dumb questions about how they are dealing with the snow, or when he is describing how big the snow flakes are etc. I also dislike it when the reporter walks thru the store and talks about how much bread and milk people are buying! What about Chocolate and junk food, Beer?! On one station the reporter was interviewing a woman with garbage bags on her feet, jogging! We are stuck inside and our favorite shows are cancelled because of the snow news! It is comical, but what a pain to miss Cops on Saturday!!
It cost me a good NASCAR race on Saturday.

I'm just tired of it. Uh news, anyone who watches you has eyes and knows the snow is up things. No need to KEEP broadcasting it.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,374,263 times
This is a once-in-a-lifetime event, folks! I grew up near the Poconos in PA and never had a winter like this in my 23 years. 21" in December followed by 30" with one storm and then quickly followed by what may be another 12"? After tomorrow we may officially have our snowiest winter on record!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:11 PM

83 posts, read 181,123 times
Well I don't think that we need the news to tell us how much its snowing. I was so p.o'd on Friday night when the local channel 5 decided to broadcast over my shows on Fox. I mean honestly people, if I want to see the snow, I don't need to watch the television, I can look out my window! Its just snow, nothing more nothing less, I don't think we need 24 hour coverage about it.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:14 PM

26,688 posts, read 41,593,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigkan View Post
Well I don't think that we need the news to tell us how much its snowing. I was so p.o'd on Friday night when the local channel 5 decided to broadcast over my shows on Fox. I mean honestly people, if I want to see the snow, I don't need to watch the television, I can look out my window! Its just snow, nothing more nothing less, I don't think we need 24 hour coverage about it.
Yeah, Fox5 and I have a little beef especially after they broadcasted over my race on Sat. But I will say Julie Wright who does traffic in the mornings is cute.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:22 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,664,568 times
Yeah, be done with it already. Those who care can use the internet (as we are doing here ).

Old 02-09-2010, 07:31 PM

15,124 posts, read 27,630,660 times
I'm over the news stations trying to get ratings? by being on the whole time. Seriously, give us a break - put the regular programming on, we really can figure out the forecast if we want to watch that non-stop.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:43 PM

51 posts, read 132,974 times
Yes, welcome to Northern VA.

Solution: Just turn the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post

Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,637,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Guru View Post
Yes, welcome to Northern VA.

Solution: Just turn the station.
Or just shut the thing off! The local news shows became too inane for me years ago. Heck, I didn't even watch the Super Bowl...I just don't care anymore.

I'd put the TVs out in the trash, were it not for....The Deadliest Catch....Ice Road Truckers....Man vs Food....Axmen....Dirty Jobs....Swamp Loggers and a few others. That's the stuff I watch!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 PM

92 posts, read 153,489 times
The news always overloads us with information. We went from 24/7 news about Tiger's escapades, to All Haiti...all the time....to now the Snowzilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia