U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:17 PM

26,275 posts, read 46,100,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
Here in Arlington it is coming down like crazy! This is really thick snow, too - I was wearing my 180's home from work and had a pile of snow on top of my head by the time I got home

From what I've read the snow is arriving in a wacky pattern - at least per Capitol Weather Gang's predicted snow-bands: (is Reston in that coveted, well for snow lovers, 8 - 16" band?)
Oh yes! Reston sits in that 8"-16" band for sure. The intensity did increase for a brief period not long after I posted this thread, but at last glance it is just coming down moderately again. I can't really tell how much snow has fallen, but I'd imagine we must be closing in on two inches soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 PM

26,275 posts, read 46,100,393 times
Well we must now have over two inches. My complex dispatches its contracted snow plow once we surpass that point. He's been blaring his horn incessantly as he makes his rounds to alert vehicles nearby due to the reduced visibility and the huge snow banks from the last storm blocking the line-of-sight. My neighbors' dogs upstairs should be barking all night at that horn. Superlative!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 PM

5,226 posts, read 6,596,341 times
I think it is looking like a "dud", like you said. We got about 3" and it seems like it is done. Maybe a couple more inches in the morning and then that's it I bet.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 PM

404 posts, read 601,898 times
Forecast begs to differ, however it has quit in Old town as well...

Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 PM

510 posts, read 570,187 times
The storm was supposed to be in 2 phases. This is the lull between the first phase and the much more intense second phase.

The second phase may not spin up until 7 AM in the morning. When it does, that's where the heavy accumulation will be, as well as strong gusty winds. This first phase was always expected to not be very much. It still looks like we're in for a lot of snow from maybe 7 AM this morning to 7 PM this evening, with wind gusts to 45 mph. It is deceiving now as the snow has stopped in many areas, but more is on the way, unfortunately.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:36 PM

404 posts, read 601,898 times
I'm normally at work between 6-7 AM... even though I'll be making up the time, I sure hope I don't catch **** for not being there tomorrow morning.

BTW.. who else works for a gov't contractor and is required to work regardless of the Gov't operating status? I've been going into empty buildings to work , while gov't workers are getting the ole impromptu 10 day vacation (more days overall than I've saved in 2 years). I worked 11 hours today, will do 11 on thursday & friday, will work saturday and then on Presidents day just to avoid taking Vacation. Does this appear as screwed up to anyone else here as it does me? Keep in mind I'm a gov't contractor and not a VDOT employee...

Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,170,934 times
True, contractors work more but they also get paid more.

It's still snowing here in far north east Loudoun county, but it's very light. It looks like we've had about 3 inches so far.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
I'm normally at work between 6-7 AM... even though I'll be making up the time, I sure hope I don't catch **** for not being there tomorrow morning.

BTW.. who else works for a gov't contractor and is required to work regardless of the Gov't operating status? I've been going into empty buildings to work , while gov't workers are getting the ole impromptu 10 day vacation (more days overall than I've saved in 2 years). I worked 11 hours today, will do 11 on thursday & friday, will work saturday and then on Presidents day just to avoid taking Vacation. Does this appear as screwed up to anyone else here as it does me? Keep in mind I'm a gov't contractor and not a VDOT employee...
I do work for a gov't contractor, but it's just the nature of the job. My company's policy is: the company never closes for snow. Employees make their own decision to come in or not. If they don't, either take a vacation day or if early enough in the pay period work extra hours other days to make up the time. I don't necessarily like it, but understand it from a business point of view. We bill the gov't for work, and can't bill them for days we are not there. So it would come directly out of the company's bottom line. It is a publicly traded company on the NYSE, so shareholders would not be thrilled about seeing some large amount of money lost to closing the business for a day due to snow.

Likewise, we just get a bucket of vacation time and don't get sick leave either. But, pay is very good, so makes up for a lot of that. Also the benefits are excellent, we have a pension plan for one thing, in addition to 401K match. There's pluses/minuses for any company, comparing it to another company or to the fed gov't.

One final note, I've worked at several different companies in my career. I've never ever gotten off for President's Day! My current company however has a lot of holidays at the end of the year - as we have off as holidays from Christmas through New Year. As a result, maybe half of our holidays are in December.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 AM

In Gainesville, snow has stopped temporarily and we only got about 2" so far. However, the next wave is coming maybe at 6 AM and that's when the really heavy snow hits, and high winds. It could still easily amount to 12 inches or so by the time it stops after sunset.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 AM

5,698 posts, read 5,637,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post

I was a government contractor for about 20 years and, yes, I remember coming in for work when the government was off. As ngadude said, you can't bill the government if you shut down and no company wants to pay for employees to stay home out of their bottom line. I know that some contractors have it written into their contracts that if the government client shuts down, so does the contractor and the contractor gets paid. That's smart. But most contractors aren't able to get away with that.

I finally joined the Feds about 2 years ago. I must be the sole person who got paid more as a Fed (and more leave) than I did as a contractor but I'm not an engineer or in any of those tech fields so that is probably why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia