Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times

Advertisements

For those complaining about this law and the tickets you receive. Here's why the law went into effect.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=db2_1265764396
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:55 AM

147 posts, read 410,238 times
Who's complained? The only complaint I had was when I moved here, I didn't know what the hell "Slow Down Move Over" meant. To someone who doesn't know and sees a sign like that for the first time, it sounds like when a cop is coming up behind you, you should slow down and move over. To which the response is, "no kidding." It's not the most intuitive thing and someone in marketing probably could have come up with a better tag line.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 AM

There have been complaints on here. Some from people getting tickets and some from supporters of those complaining about the tickets. I still maintain that there is no need to advertise the law as it should be common sense anyway.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 AM

509 posts, read 974,105 times
I've seen the complaints on here too. It is kind of common sense, but too bad it has to be a law. Sometimes unfortunately you have to "legislate common sense".

Old 02-10-2010, 08:25 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
There have been complaints on here. Some from people getting tickets and some from supporters of those complaining about the tickets. I still maintain that there is no need to advertise the law as it should be common sense anyway.
That video proves that it is not common sense.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:37 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
I had to stop watching after the first couple.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,668,849 times
My objection to the law is:

a) not well publicized
b) vague and subjective...how slow?...how can an officer, who can't see what you can see in your mirror decide if it is safe for you to move over.
c) severity of penalty...it's a class 1 misdemeanor...the same as DRUNK DRIVING and reckless driving!

And it WON'T increase safety...anybody that can't pass a vehicle on the shoulder without crashing into it...is stupid/clueless. No law will change that.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 AM

10 posts, read 32,964 times
Bigfoot..... Thanks for posting this. It should be better publicized, but your effort provides an even better margin of safety for our officers, deputies and troopers.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:08 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
My objection to the law is:

a) not well publicized
b) vague and subjective...how slow?...how can an officer, who can't see what you can see in your mirror decide if it is safe for you to move over.
c) severity of penalty...it's a class 1 misdemeanor...the same as DRUNK DRIVING and reckless driving!

And it WON'T increase safety...anybody that can't pass a vehicle on the shoulder without crashing into it...is stupid/clueless. No law will change that.
The cops could also use better judgement on where they have cars pull up to when they get pulled over. I saw an Arlington cop have someone stop right on Glebe Rd. Not only did it hold up rush hour traffic it is just plain dangerous. Interstates are one thing but they should just have the person pull right to the right edge of the road.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
The cops could also use better judgement on where they have cars pull up to when they get pulled over. I saw an Arlington cop have someone stop right on Glebe Rd. Not only did it hold up rush hour traffic it is just plain dangerous. Interstates are one thing but they should just have the person pull right to the right edge of the road.

An officer is trained to make the stop in a place that causes the least amount of aggravation to other motorists and with safety in mind. unfortunately many people panic at the sight of red and blue lights and stop in the worse places. Officers will have the driver move to a safer location if at all possible but some people are so nervous that making them move might make things worse. I once told someone to move 30 feet up to the entrance to a parking lot and they put the car into reverse and backed into my car.
And Alanboy--Do you know for certain the officer stopped this car right there or could it have been a stranded motorist? Based on what you wrote I doubt you know but you've already formed the opinion the officer screwed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia