U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:31 PM

15,400 posts, read 17,622,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I believe they could dismantle, brick by brick, the best pizzeria or deli in NYC, Joisey, or Philly and truck it down here, along with the exact same cooks and ingredients....and people would say, "ahhh, it's ok, but it's not as good as New York!".

You see, there's more to it than just the food. Like Dorothy said, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home...".

Capiche?
LOL, this is so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:39 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,821,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Italian Deli in Herndon

The Deli Review

Santini's Deli

http://www.santinisdeli.com/

The subs at the pizza carryouts Paisano's and Vocelli's are also very good.
Hmmm.... The Deli is close to work, I may have to check that out. There's a Russian grocer on that plaza where I often stop to pick up some stuff for my wife and a so-so Chinese buffet where my co-workers like to go.

The Philadelphia Mike's in Reston was good until it was sold to a bunch of Koreans some time ago. Now it's just okay but not near as good as it was. It sorta lost something in the translation...

Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 PM

845 posts, read 1,437,911 times
I think they may be Vietnamese in many cases.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,960,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I believe they could dismantle, brick by brick, the best pizzeria or deli in NYC, Joisey, or Philly and truck it down here, along with the exact same cooks and ingredients....and people would say, "ahhh, it's ok, but it's not as good as New York!".

You see, there's more to it than just the food. Like Dorothy said, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home...".

Capiche?
I disagree. If I find anything like back home here in NoVA, I promote it. I don't cut it up. There just aren't that many.

In Philly, Jersey, and New York there are several very decent sub shops, delis, pizza places (NY and NJ more so than Philly), etc. in EACH town. Even the mediocre ones are pretty darn good.

I think there are a few good places down here but they are FEW and FAR between. There's just no comparison.

For example, last summer we were up in New York. On the way home, we got off the NJ Turnpike and stopped at some random New Jersey town and found a small strip shop with pizza and subs. We stopped there for dinner and their pizza and subs were GREAT! Did we by chance just happen to pick the best sub shop in all of NJ or the best sub shop in town? Most likely, no. It's just that most of their sub shops are decent, and there are ton of them!

I experience this all the time. Same thing when we drive to Cape May. We stopped at some random sub shop a few years ago. The place is GREAT! When I visit my parents in suburban Philadelphia in a town I never set foot in before we can choose from several pizza and hoagie places and get a great meal.

In NoVA there are some good ones - but you have to look for them. A random stop at one (if there's one to be found) will not usually yield a great sub.

I'm not one who puts down NoVA very much, but this is one area I feel strongly that this area is lacking in.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:47 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,315,868 times
My favorite place for sandwiches is The Bread Line on 17th & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. in the District. The guy who opened it studied bread-making in Paris before opening the store. I believe it's only open for lunch. He also offers a few home-made pastries that are as good as anything I'd had in France.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:11 AM

628 posts, read 1,093,159 times
The best subs (we called them grinders back home in CT) are made at home by me!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:07 AM

182 posts, read 329,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I disagree. If I find anything like back home here in NoVA, I promote it. I don't cut it up. There just aren't that many.

In Philly, Jersey, and New York there are several very decent sub shops, delis, pizza places (NY and NJ more so than Philly), etc. in EACH town. Even the mediocre ones are pretty darn good.

I think there are a few good places down here but they are FEW and FAR between. There's just no comparison.

For example, last summer we were up in New York. On the way home, we got off the NJ Turnpike and stopped at some random New Jersey town and found a small strip shop with pizza and subs. We stopped there for dinner and their pizza and subs were GREAT! Did we by chance just happen to pick the best sub shop in all of NJ or the best sub shop in town? Most likely, no. It's just that most of their sub shops are decent, and there are ton of them!

I experience this all the time. Same thing when we drive to Cape May. We stopped at some random sub shop a few years ago. The place is GREAT! When I visit my parents in suburban Philadelphia in a town I never set foot in before we can choose from several pizza and hoagie places and get a great meal.

In NoVA there are some good ones - but you have to look for them. A random stop at one (if there's one to be found) will not usually yield a great sub.

I'm not one who puts down NoVA very much, but this is one area I feel strongly that this area is lacking in.
COMPLETELY AGREE with every single thing you just wrote!

Old 02-13-2010, 01:19 PM

320 posts, read 391,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
My vote is for "The Italian Store" in Arlington. My husband took me there a few weeks back and the sub I had was delicious.

The Italian Store

I would love to try the pizza and they have authentic Italian food.

The best sandwich is the mufaletta -- it is round and huge and yummy!

Old 02-13-2010, 01:59 PM

4,480 posts, read 4,988,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post

I experience this all the time. Same thing when we drive to Cape May. We stopped at some random sub shop a few years ago. The place is GREAT! When I visit my parents in suburban Philadelphia in a town I never set foot in before we can choose from several pizza and hoagie places and get a great meal. In NoVA there are some good ones - but you have to look for them. A random stop at one (if there's one to be found) will not usually yield a great sub.

Used to live in NJ and NY, and I agree with Michgc. They take their prole food much more seriously in those states, there's more of it, and it tastes better, too. Here these places tend to fall more into the "eat to live/get free WiFi" category. On the bright side, we have great Vietnamese food here, and pho is probably healthier for you than a good calzone or veal parm sub.

Last edited by JEB77; 02-13-2010 at 02:27 PM..

Old 02-13-2010, 02:14 PM

722 posts, read 1,213,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Awww... c'mon... no love for Jerry's?? (Just kidding.) Seriously, though, Jerry's isn't that bad... but everything about it is just so quintessentially Mid-Atlantic that it begs to be mocked.
Hahahaha, no! I loathe Jerry's with the passion of a thousand burning suns! I don't even care what the food is like, it's those hideous radio ads where they do poor impersonations of people whose 15 minutes of fame ended 3 years ago.

If any of you see me purchasing food at Jerry's, assume I've been kidnapped and forced to do so at gunpoint, and call the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia