U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,347,655 times

Advertisements

Me and the gang are being docked personal leave for the snow days. It does not seem fair that the snow caused me to loose a day of my vacation. What's everyone else doing? using sick time or vacation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM

738 posts, read 2,617,651 times
My office requires us to charge vacation time as well due to the snow. They claim that they have the parking lots cleared and ready for us, so it's up to us to get here. I don't agree with it either, but not much I can do about it. I'd actually feel better if we were allowed to use sick leave or something too, we stay home due to safety and possible health risks so that would make sense.

I came in everyday but wednesday this week, and ironically our office closed on wed. It was only the second time in 40 years that they've closed the office, so it was a historic event, haha.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:35 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,553,761 times
I'm very lucky that working from home is a viable option. Individual projects sent out emails telling people to work from home if possible, or to use vacation days. (We don't have a difference between vacation/sick/personal days, it's all the same)

Old 02-12-2010, 01:43 PM

509 posts, read 853,376 times
My company never closes for snow. We are a federal contractor and if we don't work billable hours then it would come out of the corporate bottom line. They say the shareholders would not be happy to see a line item like that. It is a business decision. I don't agree with it.

Anyway, I can't work from home due to needing to work on classified equipment.

So, all I can do is try to make up the 2 days I was out (Monday & Wednesday). I may work some this weekend so I don't have to burn 2 vacation days this pay period (which ends a week from today). If I work 8 hours this weekend, and work late a few days next week, I may be able to salvage those two vacation days.

I agree, it stinks. But such is life if you work for a federal contractor - we can't bill the gov't for hours we don't work on the project. It would have to be charged to overhead, and charging overhead is "bad".

There is no such thing as sick leave for us either.

I know awhile back there was some nasty thread on here that several posters made it sound like federal contractors were overpaid, underworked, etc. etc. compared to their federal gov't counterparts. We don't get sick days, we don't get snow days, but we may get paid better, and we get a pension plan (at least at my company, but some others as well). There are pluses and minuses, but many of us would have liked to have not burned vacation time this week, or else have to work weekends/evenings the rest of the pay period to make those 2 days up. It isn't always "the grass is greener on the other side" so to speak. I suspect it kind of evens out, but depends what is important to you in life. In my company we don't get off for President's Day either, by the way!

Old 02-12-2010, 01:55 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
My company is going to virtual work anyway so didn't really care that I worked from home on those days. My co-workers are all over the country and I can VPN and phone in so it's business as usual whereever I am. I can't believe more companies aren't like that around here.

ngadude - you should start looking around. I work for a federal contractor and it's nothing like you describe here. We even have have unlimited sick days. You might want to think about switching to a fixed price contract rather than cost-plus.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:05 PM

509 posts, read 853,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
My company is going to virtual work anyway so didn't really care that I worked from home on those days. My co-workers are all over the country and I can VPN and phone in so it's business as usual whereever I am. I can't believe more companies aren't like that around here.

ngadude - you should start looking around. I work for a federal contractor and it's nothing like you describe here. We even have have unlimited sick days. You might want to think about switching to a fixed price contract rather than cost-plus.
I like the project I'm working on, there's perks like overseas travel to where the equipment is as well as in Hawaii where it also is at a US Navy base on Oahu (14 trips to Hawaii in the last 9 years for about a month duration each - sometimes even during the winter months!). It isn't as bleak as I paint it. I also have ownership of this project as it is just me and one other person. This is a subproject of a bigger one, and the high up customer determined the contract structure.

Also, my pension is growing, so I have no incentive to leave. Not to mention the company's 401K match is very good in addition to the pension plan that I pay nothing for.

As I said, there's pros and cons to any company. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. To each his own. I could not do my work from home, no way. Much of the equipment is in the back of a Humvee behind several locks. The rest is in a classified lab. No way I could do my job "virtually" as it were.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

The contract I worked on for 20 years was, at first, cost plus incentive fee and then on the last go round in switched strictly to fixed fee. We suffered more under fixed fee. I guess it all really just depends on how your contract rates are worked out.

I also did not have a pension plan nor did I have unlimited leave; however, I knew other contractors that had been with, say, Lockheed Martin and had great benefits but that were long-timers there. The new employees didn't get that.

Towards the end of my federal contractor tenure, my company started to pay for things like an extra day off here and there and they even added two holidays but we were a very small group and had some good profits over the past few years so the company funneled it back to the employees.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,210,284 times
Fed gov worker, so the days are admin leave. I'm not charged.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:57 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,011,340 times
usually unless the company itself is closed, you will have to take vacation or PTO time. If the company closes or tells you to stay home, normally that is paid. They are not required to pay you however.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:39 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,776,806 times
We closed early Tuesday and all day Wednesday and paid workers for that time. We opened Thursday and all but one employee came in. We set up a babysitting area with movies and some games, since two employees had kids they had to bring along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia