Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
Not in my situation--the Catholic school I send my kids to is appears to be more racially diverse than the local public school.
Elementary or high school? I've noticed the white flight phenomenon around here tends to rears its head once the kids reach high school and all those adorably diverse small children turn into gangstas that scare the heck out of conservative moms and dads.

I'm also curious about these "non-diocesan" independent Catholic schools. Are they generally tilted to the conservative, opus dei "Irish Catholic" traditiionalists? Again are thee high schools or just elementary schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:29 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Elementary or high school? I've noticed the white flight phenomenon around here tends to rears its head once the kids reach high school and all those adorably diverse small children turn into gangstas that scare the heck out of conservative moms and dads.
Elementary.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:00 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Elementary or high school? I've noticed the white flight phenomenon around here tends to rears its head once the kids reach high school and all those adorably diverse small children turn into gangstas that scare the heck out of conservative moms and dads...

Don't you mean "...all those adorably diverse small children turn into gangstas that scare the heck out of LIBERAL moms and dads"?

If they were conservatives, those black and brown kids would have always scared the heck out of them....from kindergarten on.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:06 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Don't you mean "...all those adorably diverse small children turn into gangstas that scare the heck out of LIBERAL moms and dads"?

If they were conservatives, those black and brown kids would have always scared the heck out of them....from kindergarten on.
Nah, liberal moms' and dads' kids are usually smart and get segregated in the AP and IB classes.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:20 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
Not in my situation--the Catholic school I send my kids to is appears to be more racially diverse than the local public school.
Catholic schools in most areas have fewer African-Americans (although there are some) than public schools simply because not many blacks are Catholic. But there are many students of other backgrounds -- Spanish, Filipino, Vietnamese, etc. -- who are traditionally Catholic. At my children's Confirmations I was surprised to see how much higher the percentage of white students was among the CCD students, who attended the surrounding public schools, than among the students at the local Catholic school.

In private high schools the number of non-white students may drop because it costs more than elementary, and some of the immigrant or first-generation-American parents can't afford it as easily. But that has nothing to do with "white flight."

Catholic school graduates also have an almost 100% college-attendance rate. It's rare to have more than a couple of kids in a graduating class who aren't going straight to college. Of course that's not due solely to being in Catholic schools -- there are many factors. But it exerts peer pressure in a positive way; it just doesn't occur to anyone NOT to apply to college and then go.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Nah, liberal moms' and dads' kids are usually smart and get segregated in the AP and IB classes.
You know, I actually do hear that sort of thing occasionally. I have had people (including non-Catholics) tell me that their neighborhood elementary and junior high are fine but when high school rolls around they're going to send their child to Bishop Ireton rather than TC Williams, for example. But the Catholic high schools give first priority in admissions to students who went to Catholic elementary schools so it usually doesn't work. Which is fine because that's not really the right motivation for going to a Catholic (or any religious) school.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Catholic schools in most areas have fewer African-Americans (although there are some) than public schools simply because not many blacks are Catholic. But there are many students of other backgrounds -- Spanish, Filipino, Vietnamese, etc. -- who are traditionally Catholic. At my children's Confirmations I was surprised to see how much higher the percentage of white students was among the CCD students, who attended the surrounding public schools, than among the students at the local Catholic school.

In private high schools the number of non-white students may drop because it costs more than elementary, and some of the immigrant or first-generation-American parents can't afford it as easily. But that has nothing to do with "white flight."

Catholic school graduates also have an almost 100% college-attendance rate. It's rare to have more than a couple of kids in a graduating class who aren't going straight to college. Of course that's not due solely to being in Catholic schools -- there are many factors. But it exerts peer pressure in a positive way; it just doesn't occur to anyone NOT to apply to college and then go.

As mentioned, you don't have to be Catholic to attend Catholic school.

Recently I took a well-regarded FCPS men's varsity basketball team to Paul VI, and we got THRASHED...if that tells you anything...

Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 PM

Yes, but nearly all are, or they started in Catholic schools before high school. The WCAC is considered one of the most competitive sports leagues in the country. I've heard of even lower-ranking schools in the WCAC crushing FCPS Schools. Consider your team lucky they weren't playing a school like DeMatha or Gonzaga!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Yes, but nearly all are, or they started in Catholic schools before high school. The WCAC is considered one of the most competitive sports leagues in the country. I've heard of even lower-ranking schools in the WCAC crushing FCPS Schools. Consider your team lucky they weren't playing a school like DeMatha or Gonzaga!

Oh OK, I thought you said that not many blacks are Catholics. But I guess, co-incidently, the few that are...play basketball!

Mmmm, I wonder if WCAC does a little "recruiting?...

Old 02-13-2010, 09:13 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
I would only send my kid to a Catholic school if the teachers were still able to beat the misbehaving kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia