U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:04 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,598,005 times

Advertisements

Okay, this may be dumb, but...why not have school open even if the buses can't run for a day or two? I grew up in California where there haven't been school buses for at least 20+ years (unless you live more than 10 miles from school, you were responsible for getting there yourself). Parents carpooled and dropped their kids off before school, or if you lived close enough you walked or rode your bike (obviously not possible with current sidewalk conditions).

It's nice that there are buses here, but are they really a necessity for schools to operate? I would think that it's more important to get a few days of education in, even if it means some kids will be late or not all kids will make it. I would think parents would rather be a couple hours late to work in the morning because they have to drop their kids off than miss work entirely because the schools are closed.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 07:08 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,373,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Okay, this may be dumb, but...why not have school open even if the buses can't run for a day or two? I grew up in California where there haven't been school buses for at least 20+ years (unless you live more than 10 miles from school, you were responsible for getting there yourself). Parents carpooled and dropped their kids off before school, or if you lived close enough you walked or rode your bike (obviously not possible with current sidewalk conditions).
It's nice that there are buses here, but are they really a necessity for schools to operate? I would think that it's more important to get a few days of education in, even if it means some kids will be late or not all kids will make it. I would think parents would rather be a couple hours late to work in the morning because they have to drop their kids off than miss work entirely because the schools are closed.
Just a thought.
Good post! I'd think that the traffic would be absolutely insane in the morning if everyone dropped their kids off. In the LCPS message, they specifically told parents not to drive if at all possible. I guess their parking lots are still a mess or something. I have to drive my son and walk him in the school so we'll see how that goes tomorrow..

Old 02-15-2010, 02:36 PM

8,128 posts, read 12,714,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Well, we didn't do the entire school lots...contractors/school plows did so previously. But many schools had buses parked in the way of the contractor/school plows, so our task was to clear the snow that the contractors couldn't get to...plus making sure all the would start (and as usual, some wouldn't..that's why we had a mechanic on the teams).
So car54, how do you think you'll fare tomorrow?

I got stuck AGAIN coming home from our workday today. My car just can't handle the neighborhood streets. It looses traction on the hills (Yeah, it is a rear wheel drive Mustang, but it is all we have). I am having a fellow teacher with an SUV pick me up in the morning. I'm just tired of not being able to make it up the street and scraping bottom every time we have to go out.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 PM

696 posts, read 1,501,272 times
Car54 - you are popular this afternoon. I'm also wondering about your thoughts tomorrow.

tgbwc - sorry you keep getting stuck. It's pretty bad on some of those side streets.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
Car54 - you are popular this afternoon. I'm also wondering about your thoughts tomorrow.

tgbwc - sorry you keep getting stuck. It's pretty bad on some of those side streets.
With only one car I am seriously thinking about going out and purchasing a used AWD vehicle. My wife likes the Volvo XC wagon. We've been looking at a bunch online. Of course, do that and we won't have much snow for years.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:23 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,373,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
My wife likes the Volvo XC wagon. We've been looking at a bunch online. Of course, do that and we won't have much snow for years.
Maybe all of us snow haters can pitch in if your new car guarantees snowless winters. Just kidding..

Old 02-15-2010, 05:30 PM

696 posts, read 1,501,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
With only one car I am seriously thinking about going out and purchasing a used AWD vehicle. My wife likes the Volvo XC wagon. We've been looking at a bunch online. Of course, do that and we won't have much snow for years.
Careful with the Volvo's. They have a lot of electrical problems (some of the older models). My mom has driven them for years and seems to always have electrical problems.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:42 PM

207 posts, read 662,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Good post! I'd think that the traffic would be absolutely insane in the morning if everyone dropped their kids off. In the LCPS message, they specifically told parents not to drive if at all possible. I guess their parking lots are still a mess or something. I have to drive my son and walk him in the school so we'll see how that goes tomorrow..

Its already insane on "normal" days!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Maybe all of us snow haters can pitch in if your new car guarantees snowless winters. Just kidding..
Ha! True. Kind of like when you take an umbrella it doesn't rain and vice versa.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
Careful with the Volvo's. They have a lot of electrical problems (some of the older models). My mom has driven them for years and seems to always have electrical problems.
I'm open to other suggestions too. Also looking online at Subaru Outback. Something better in snow and a few years older that we can throw baseball stuff in the back of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia