U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:06 AM

8,113 posts, read 12,682,638 times

Advertisements

All staff are to report.[SIZE=2]We are still working our way through the ramifications of this unprecedented snow storm. While we have made good progress on school sites and parking lots, neighborhood sidewalks and bus stops continue to be a safety concern. As a result, school will be closed to students on Monday, February 15th, in order to give VDOT and neighborhoods additional time to improve this situation.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Since teachers and other school staff need time to plan and organize instruction to adjust for the snow storm, teachers and other school and central office personnel should report to work on Monday. To offset this day, the last teacher work day in June will be waived.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]We are also developing plans as to how to add time to the school day to make up for lost time instead of extending the school year in June. As soon as these plans are ready they will be shared with all employees and the community.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Thank you for all of your efforts to help us work through this snow emergency. On Tuesday we are anticipating a delayed opening and although school will be back in session, the conditions will continue to be less than ideal. I appreciate your flexibility as we work our way back to normal operations.[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Jack Dale[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 11:13 AM

247 posts, read 612,266 times
We heard this from a friend who teaches in FCPS. They really messed this up though, since as of now the FCPS page still has not changed the info. to alert parents school is off. Going back and forth is going to really aggravate parents who had to find and change day care arrangements, considering it's sort of late already to make this change. Glad to not have to be in on making such decisions.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 PM

262 posts, read 503,152 times
I realize that there are many sidewalks that are impassable and bus stops are going to be dangerous, but are things really going to be any better on Tuesday or Wednesday or the rest of the week. (especially if we get snow on Monday).

The staff can try to clean up the school property, but that is not going to help the neighborhoods.

I don't know what the solution is. I strongly believe in err-ing on the side of caution but the kids HAVE to go back to school sometime and the snow will be with us for weeks. I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 PM

320 posts, read 614,405 times
We got the email announcing the cancellation from Fairfax awhile ago. Also if there is school on Tuesday -- it will be a 2 hour delay so kids don't have to compete with rush hour vehicles while they stand in the middle of the street waiting for their buses.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:42 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,134,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadgirl View Post
I realize that there are many sidewalks that are impassable and bus stops are going to be dangerous, but are things really going to be any better on Tuesday or Wednesday or the rest of the week. (especially if we get snow on Monday).

The staff can try to clean up the school property, but that is not going to help the neighborhoods.

I don't know what the solution is. I strongly believe in err-ing on the side of caution but the kids HAVE to go back to school sometime and the snow will be with us for weeks. I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.
I agree. At some point, you just have to suck it up and go in. I don't believe the neighborhood roads and bus routes will be any better by Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday for that matter. The stuff that is left that didn't get plowed is pure ice and it keeps refreezing each night.

At some point, you just have to go on (if it's not actively snowing) and get out there. If some buses are late, so be it.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:16 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,615,349 times
I read in an email that one Virginia legislator has proposed a bill in the General Assembly excusing schools from the mandated 180 days this year. If that happens, there will be no requirement to make up the snow days as required now.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:22 PM

154 posts, read 329,367 times

Not unless the general public helps out... I spent some time this afternoon shoveling sidewalks in our neighborhood that kids use to walk to school. We'll probably be out again tomorrow at a few spots. If everyone with kids would spend just an extra hour tomorrow clearing some areas not immediately in front of their residence that would help.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:36 PM

4,787 posts, read 4,032,092 times
I just got an email from my daughters' principal that her school (a private one which goes by FCPS schedule) will be open tomorrow in spite of the county's decision to close. I feel for the parents who are now scrambling to make other arrangements for child care or have to burn more leave time.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:56 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,134,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I just got an email from my daughters' principal that her school (a private one which goes by FCPS schedule) will be open tomorrow in spite of the county's decision to close. I feel for the parents who are now scrambling to make other arrangements for child care or have to burn more leave time.
Maybe the county is thinking that a lot of people are off work tomorrow anyway and it won't be a hardship. I know that is a myopic view to take but people who work for government institutions often lose sight that private companies don't give all the holidays.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:35 PM

616 posts, read 1,058,807 times
My kids' school (Cardinal Forest) is having a community workday tomorrow from 9:30-12 and is asking everyone to come help shovel the sidewalks, etc. Apparently, the fire marshal requires that all exits out of the school be cleared of snow in case of emergency. And all the parking lot black top has to be cleared as well so the kids have somewhere to stand in case of an evacuation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia