U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:36 PM

738 posts, read 2,619,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Are the P-Nats moving to the Dulles area? If not, then what is the affiliation of the new team? I'm a baseball fan, so this is something I can follow. Of course, I will still go to Nationals Park, but Minor league baseball is cool too!

The P-Nats are staying put at Pfitzner stadium, and I don't think they have plans of leaving the woodbridge venue.

The new team in Loudoun is going to be a part of the Atlantic League, which is a non-MLB affiliated minor league program. Here's an old article:
Deal Is Reached on Loudoun Minor League Team - washingtonpost.com
From my understanding, it's an independent league that's the equivalent of AA- to AAA-level ball play with teams primarily in the Northeastern US.

Actually, here's a wikipedia link on the league I just found, as I was curious as well:
Atlantic League of Professional Baseball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 01:48 PM

147 posts, read 367,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It sounds like a name that has potential--wouldn't it be fun to bark and woof and howl at the moon as our special way of cheering them on?
This would be reason #1 to NOT name them that. I wouldn't want to go to a ballgame where I would be embarrassed to be associated with my team.

Not to thread-jack, but on a related note, does anyone else think it's about time U of Maryland students retire the 'tradition' of yelling "HEY, YOU SUCK!!!" at opposing teams at every sporting event?

Old 02-15-2010, 05:21 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,638,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
The P-Nats are staying put at Pfitzner stadium, and I don't think they have plans of leaving the woodbridge venue.

The new team in Loudoun is going to be a part of the Atlantic League, which is a non-MLB affiliated minor league program. Here's an old article:
Deal Is Reached on Loudoun Minor League Team - washingtonpost.com
From my understanding, it's an independent league that's the equivalent of AA- to AAA-level ball play with teams primarily in the Northeastern US.
Actually, the Potomac Nationals have expressed an interest in building a stadium at Loudoun Station.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,658,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Actually, the Potomac Nationals have expressed an interest in building a stadium at Loudoun Station.
They may as well. The stadium they play in now is awful.

(btw: For the other team, I voted for Blue Heron)

Old 02-16-2010, 06:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,858,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
This would be reason #1 to NOT name them that. I wouldn't want to go to a ballgame where I would be embarrassed to be associated with my team.
LOL, you certainly don't want to sit near my family, then. Not only will we be woofing and barking, but we may even wear hats with long bassett hound ears!

BTW, why not suggest the stadium create something like a "no-embarrassment" zone where you can sit far apart from people barking? Now's the time to make a suggestion like that, when they can use it as part of a PR scheme. I can see them creating barking and no-barking zones and having a lot of fun playing it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
Not to thread-jack, but on a related note, does anyone else think it's about time U of Maryland students retire the 'tradition' of yelling "HEY, YOU SUCK!!!" at opposing teams at every sporting event?
OTOH, I'd most certainly in favor of retiring the idea of yelling something like this. That's bad sportsmanship. You're supposed to cheer for your team, not yell at the other team.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
or the Sterling Park Grits.
LOL, I think the hound allusion is to Loudoun's foxhunts. It's not a redneck reference. But speaking about Sterling, instead of Virginia Silver Stars, the 3rd option should be the Sterling Silver Stars. That's not only more clever, but it's more appropriate for a minor league team. The team represents Loudoun and will be based in Sterling. It's not a statewide team.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:55 AM

738 posts, read 2,619,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Wow, I had no idea. I thought I had read somewhere they were staying put.

I'm not sure what I'd think about two large baseball complexes so close together. I think it'd be a little silly to have both teams within a few miles of each other, but who knows. The economy in loudoun could probably support having both, and I suppose I'd go to a few games. I grew up going to P-Nats/Cannons/PW Pirates games, I remember when Barry Bonds started his baseball career there!

On top of all this sports complex construction, has there been any progress on the supposed "Loudoun One World Trade Center"? I saw that they cleared land, but haven't heard any other updates on that in recent months.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what I'd think about two large baseball complexes so close together. I think it'd be a little silly to have both teams within a few miles of each other, but who knows.
VERY silly. I don't think it'll happen. IMO, they're just trying to copy Kincora's because Kincora got a lot of attention, and when sanity returns they'll come up with something better to use as a proffer. Offering to pay for road repair may be boring, but it's something we need a lot more than 2 stadiums in Loudoun.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:59 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,237,116 times
Quote:
Wow, I had no idea. I thought I had read somewhere they were staying put.

I'm not sure what I'd think about two large baseball complexes so close together. I think it'd be a little silly to have both teams within a few miles of each other, but who knows. The economy in loudoun could probably support having both, and I suppose I'd go to a few games. I grew up going to P-Nats/Cannons/PW Pirates games, I remember when Barry Bonds started his baseball career there!

On top of all this sports complex construction, has there been any progress on the supposed "Loudoun One World Trade Center"? I saw that they cleared land, but haven't heard any other updates on that in recent months.
I'm a little skeptical about that too! I assume that this the P-Nats moving to Loudoun is just a rumor? They are probably trying to negotiate a better stadium.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I just realized that Dulles is two letters short of Dallas, no wonder it has a bit of a ring to it, haha.

I haven't followed the new team progress much. How much longer till the start and planned opening for the stadium and team?
Apparently they've decided to go ahead with the stadium, whether or not Kincora gets the final approval. The deal is that if Kincora gets final approval, tickets will be cheap--if not, then ticket prices will be $36-48. The season starts 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or