Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 AM

106 posts, read 238,724 times

Advertisements

I have a wood shelf above my fireplace like many do. Possibly it is a 4" by 8". My father-in-law has a real railroad tie instead of the simulated one in my house. I was wondering if any one has ever went over to the few railroad stations in the area like Robinson Terminal in Springfield and just asked them if they can spare one. Then I would just swap out my fake with the real McCoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 03:05 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,157,241 times
I would not recommend a used one from a railroad. They are soaked in creosote which will produce nasty burns on your skin if you get it on you. And they are really heavy, a full 8' long one. I used to do track work for a museum and they get used ties from the class I railroads. Perhaps you should check with garden centers which sell ties for landscaping purposes and ask about which preservatives are used on them. Ask your FIL more about the tie at his house, preservatives, age, etc.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,921,240 times
I've never GONE (not went) to ask for one but I wouldn't imagine that RR's would have extra ones just laying around. could be wrong...........

Old 10-10-2010, 10:18 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,295,317 times
I think you could buy an 8" x 8" treated piece of wood at lowe's, or something of that size.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 AM

628 posts, read 1,926,968 times
Used RR ties are too heavy and smelly from the creosote. If you insist, however, I purchased some at Betty's Azalea Ranch for a landscaping project a couple years ago for about $14. I believe Craven's Nursery also sells them. If you are looking for an antique or rustic look, try a used barn beam. You could have it cut or milled to your specifications. Off hand, I don't know where to purchase these, but there are places that deal in used lumber. Google is your friend.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:40 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,249,164 times
I know someone who has purchased reclaimed timbers for an old house from this company. They should be able to meet your fireplace needs. Reclaimed Beams - Hand Hewn, Circle Sawn and Resawn

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 PM

628 posts, read 1,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I know someone who has purchased reclaimed timbers for an old house from this company. They should be able to meet your fireplace needs. Reclaimed Beams - Hand Hewn, Circle Sawn and Resawn
Exploring the log cabin photos in this website was a pleasure. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:57 AM

106 posts, read 238,724 times
Thanks for all the input. i am surprised that my post got interest. I actually got a letter from CSX Railroad telling me that they did not have any surplus and then remind me to stay off their tracks but in a nice little paragraph I will keep searching as it is mostly for my little boys who would probably think it was really "cool" to have a part of Thomas Town. Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia