Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:25 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,696,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Ghetto? Ummmmm, no. Not unless your definition of ghetto means "lower middle class suburban." Also, the word ghetto means all one race or religion lives in an area--Huntington is the exact opposite. People of every color live there.

Some of your comments lately have me scratching my head. Like the time you said there were boarding houses along the frontage roads. I'm curious, have you ever lived here? I know you live in Phoenix now, just wondering if you're basing your comments on any actual time spent living here and how long ago that was.
His definition of ghetto must be chain link fences, metro bus stops, and 7-11 stores run by foreigners. yes, Huntington has all of those features, so don't say that I didn't warn you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:30 PM

845 posts, read 2,320,755 times
Quote:
Ghetto? Ummmmm, no. Not unless your definition of ghetto means "lower middle class suburban." Also, the word ghetto means all one race or religion lives in an area--Huntington is the exact opposite. People of every color live there.

Some of your comments lately have me scratching my head. Like the time you said there were boarding houses along the frontage roads. I'm curious, have you ever lived here? I know you live in Phoenix now, just wondering if you're basing your comments on any actual time spent living here and how long ago that was.
NoVa is still my home base, I know most of it like the back of my hand. Boarding houses are plentiful in Springfield. As recently as 2007, there were signs in front yards near the Springfield Baptist Church saying "NO BOARDING HOUSES" so it is obviously a problem there, and a bigger problem in PWC and Manassas.

West Potomac is probably the most unsafe high school in FCPS, and it's been that way for at least 35 years........

Last edited by adolpho; 02-22-2010 at 02:48 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 02:47 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,153,431 times
Quote:

Gentrification seems to be creeping down that way from the Eisenhower metro area. I think it would be smart to buy something there if you're looking for something to invest in long term. As to "how it feels", I don't think anyone would feel uncomfortable living around there. It's very diverse. One of my favorite hispanic eateries, Pillars, is located there.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
Boarding houses are plentiful in Springfield.
I thought we were talking about the Huntington Metro area in Alexandria.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
West Potomac is probably the most unsafe high school in FCPS, and it's been that way for at least 35 years........
Now you're really getting whacky. My son just graduated from there last year and I don't recall any violent incidents over the prior four years. You're obviously just trying to stir up trouble and don't even know what you're talking about. West Potomac is several miles away from Huntington so don't know what this has to do with anything.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:10 PM

845 posts, read 2,320,755 times
22303 has a median hh income of 55,000 per year. That is a little more than half of FFX County as a whole. I'm entitled to my opinion, I lived in Fairfax County for 25 years, and you are entitled to yours, but I say there is plenty of evidence that it is the armpit (if not the ---hole of Fairfax County). BTW, I hope your kid is having a good year at NVCC.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:26 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,633,870 times
I haven't been to Huntington in years, but one thing sticks in my mind about the area...there used to be a string of gas stations on Telegraph Road, at the Beltway off-ramp, and the attendants (I'm talking 35-40 years ago!) all wore large revolvers on their hips as they waited on customers. Apparently some of the customers wanted more "change" than they were due.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I haven't been to Huntington in years, but one thing sticks in my mind about the area...there used to be a string of gas stations on Telegraph Road, at the Beltway off-ramp, and the attendants (I'm talking 35-40 years ago!) all wore large revolvers on their hips as they waited on customers. Apparently some of the customers wanted more "change" than they were due.
A lot of that was wiped out with the construction of the new interchange. They were probably protecting themselves against quick on/off beltway bandits rather than the local residents.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
22303 has a median hh income of 55,000 per year. That is a little more than half of FFX County as a whole. I'm entitled to my opinion, I lived in Fairfax County for 25 years, and you are entitled to yours, but I say there is plenty of evidence that it is the armpit (if not the ---hole of Fairfax County). BTW, I hope your kid is having a good year at NVCC.
Actually he went there by choice because of their AP program as did many of his friends. Because of underenrollment the kids around here can go whereever they want. He scored higher than most of the kids at TJ on his SATs, was a national merit scholar, and had his choice of colleges.. He was was quite happy with the education he received there and never had any run-ins with the other kids there. Hard to complain about that.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:15 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,087,142 times
I've known kids from nearby upper-middle income communities whose kids attended West Potomac and were well-adjusted. If one reads the Mount Vernon Gazette newspaper, you'll see a lot of positive coverage of West Potomac. So I would surmise that kids from Huntington and Hybla Valley as well as Fort Hunt and Hollin Hall get along reasonably well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia