U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:38 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,237,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I can understand how a gubernatorial candidate (Gilmore) could characterize the state as paying for something. What I don't understand is how the voters could fall for such "free lunch" BS. I guess Jimbo knew his audience.
I think the people would rather buy their own lunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 07:44 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,871,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I think the people would rather buy their own lunch
Not if lunch is a car tax bill!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
....There is too much wasteful spending, and the people know it....
The trouble is, everybody's idea of "wasteful spending" is different. Just as an example, Fairfax One (the police helicopter) is a very costly item that some may consider wasteful and unnecessary. But the people that are alive today because that thing got them to the hospital in time probably think it's worth every penny...

Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 PM

I remember when Gov Kaine took over and all he wanted to do was raise taxes. The people sad NO loud and clear. When Kaine tried to add an extra $1000 fine for excessive speeding the people stood up and said NO! Lets face it, Gov McDonnell would rather be caught with Monica Lewinsky than raise taxes. And, even if he thought about it, the citizens would be all over him... not to mention the other conservative VA congressmen. Richmond is just going to have to spend wisely.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
....Richmond is just going to have to spend wisely.
Yep, unlike the Feds with their printing press, VA can't delay the day of reckoning. We are going to have to cut spending.

We could eliminate Medicare payments, they are so low now that few doctors accept Medicare patients anyway.

Va does a lot of unnecessary things that could be eliminated. I went to the dentist the other day and I noticed that the X-ray machine had a little sticker on it that said "Approved...Va Dept of Health". Surely no dentist would fail to maintain his/her X-ray machine, would they? Even if they don't, what's a little excess radiation anyway?

Even the elevator up to the dentist had a State Inspection certificate on it. What building owner would put off elevator maintenance and risk peoples' lives? I own a couple of properties with elevators, and I wouldn't dream of trying to save a few bucks that way.

Sheesh, even gas pumps have State stickers on them! What service station owner would tamper with a pump so it delivers a 120 ounce gallon instead of a full 128 ounce gallon? We don't need to pay guys to check up on honest business owners!

The list goes on...waste, everywhere you look!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,199 times
Quote:
Yep, unlike the Feds with their printing press, VA can't delay the day of reckoning. We are going to have to cut spending.

We could eliminate Medicare payments, they are so low now that few doctors accept Medicare patients anyway.

Va does a lot of unnecessary things that could be eliminated. I went to the dentist the other day and I noticed that the X-ray machine had a little sticker on it that said "Approved...Va Dept of Health". Surely no dentist would fail to maintain his/her X-ray machine, would they? Even if they don't, what's a little excess radiation anyway?

Even the elevator up to the dentist had a State Inspection certificate on it. What building owner would put off elevator maintenance and risk peoples' lives? I own a couple of properties with elevators, and I wouldn't dream of trying to save a few bucks that way.

Sheesh, even gas pumps have State stickers on them! What service station owner would tamper with a pump so it delivers a 120 ounce gallon instead of a full 128 ounce gallon? We don't need to pay guys to check up on honest business owners!

The list goes on...waste, everywhere you look!
You know, i'm perfectly fine with the state checking the elevators.

Trust me, places don't "just check" elevators, nor do they even know what the hell to look for.

Try again

Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 AM

130 posts, read 323,330 times
You missed his point.

Without state and Federal watchdog agencies, those "honest, hardworking" private industries wouldn't even think twice about scrimping on maintenence, or cheating their customers out of a full gallon of gas. It's not a question of them "not knowing what to look for"...it;s what theyd be able to get away with.

Try again.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:47 AM

437 posts, read 1,072,996 times
Quote:
Uh, cancer?

Dental x rays and brain cancers

Quote:
Even the elevator up to the dentist had a State Inspection certificate on it. What building owner would put off elevator maintenance and risk peoples' lives?
Maybe not a lot, but some probably would. Either because they are too greedy, or too broke. There are slum lords in every major city, residential and commercial. Just because you wouldn't risk a tenant's health doesn't mean no one else would. Also, it's my understanding that inspections are usually done by private companies, not the state (at least in DC, I know this is how it's done). I agree it's not that big a deal, though you could probably increase amount of time between inspections.

Quote:
This doesn't take place a lot, but it does take place. States do bust gas station owners doing this or similar scams (like putting in too much ethanol) with some frequency.

Ethanol scam going on in Virginia? — Autoblog Green

The Pump Police - Tech Stuff - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Listen, I'm a small government guy and there is a lot of government waste that needs to be trimmed. I agree with your sentiments. But these are all safety or fraud issues in areas where some people would cheat or endanger lives if they knew they could get away with it.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 AM

Did you guys (i.e. Car54) listen to Gov. McDonnell's interview this morning? Regarding the budget... the first thing he did was repeal Gov. Kaine's huge tax increase. He also mentioned that the VA assembley voted 97-0 against the proposed tax hixes!!! I'm not a genious, but it doesn't sound like Gov. McDonnell will be raising taxes anytime soon! All you liberals who think that we should raise taxes are just going to have to forget that idea. But, if you makes you feel more patriotic, then you can send me a check and I'll spend it on your behalf

Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Did you guys (i.e. Car54) listen to Gov. McDonnell's interview this morning? Regarding the budget... the first thing he did was repeal Gov. Kaine's huge tax increase. He also mentioned that the VA assembley voted 97-0 against the proposed tax hixes!!! I'm not a genious, but it doesn't sound like Gov. McDonnell will be raising taxes anytime soon! All you liberals who think that we should raise taxes are just going to have to forget that idea. But, if you makes you feel more patriotic, then you can send me a check and I'll spend it on your behalf

Dude, nobody is saying that Bobby Mac will raise taxes. He ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT!!!

He will force the localities to raise local taxes....or severely cut services. It is the local pols that will incur the wrath of the voters EITHER way. And Bobby will strut around bragging about it for the next four years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia