Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 08:07 PM

9 posts, read 23,000 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am new to the area and am looking to rent in Arlington (or anywhere that is not to far from DC and Vienna. My job will start in DC but than the company is moving near Gallows rd some time in 2011.)

My main concern is safety! I have two little ones and would like to send them to a private Montessori school in Falls Church.

Single source of income so my second concern is the budget. Can I find a decent 2 bedroom in a safe area for around $1,500 a month (with washer/dryer/dishwasher in unit)? If not than what are my options in terms of public school and aftercare with a maximum rental budget of $2,200 a month (more than 50% of my salary!)?

I did a search and found a rental on 4 Mile Run Dr in Arlington 22206. Seems ideal in terms of location but is that in a good area?

Is it crazy to even consider areas farther away like Centerville? Seems more affordable but not sure of safety/traffic issues. I found a place on Edman Cir there in 20121. Suggestions?

I don't want to commute more than an hour to DC initially and would prefer a shorter commute to Vienna of 30 minutes max including traffic time.

Thanks! I look forward to hearing from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 06:55 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times
The 4 Mile Run area is not the best part of Arlington. I haven't been in several years, but I'd be a little nervous about it. However, just around the corner is Shirlington, which is a good area with a cute shopping/dining area, a movie theater, etc. I don't know the rents in the area anymore, though - check Shirlington and Fairlington as options.

There are lots of Montessori schools in NoVA - are you dead set on the one in Falls Church? It just seems like a lot of driving around if you can find one closer to your house.

Centreville is nice, but the commute is tough, especially if you're driving.

Good luck to you - I'm sure someone can offer you some great ideas on neighborhoods. Arlington is wonderful in terms of location, but it can be pricey.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
The public schools around here are actually really good. There may be a specific reason you need a Montessori school, but if it's fear of public schools that's driving you to look at private schools, I don't think you need to worry.

I would look at Falls Church/N. Arlington. From there it will be an easy drive to your job once it moves, and you could take the metro to DC until then if you wanted. Personally, I think it's valuable to live/work close to where your kids go to school when they're young. If Susie gets a fever and needs you to pick her up at 10 am, you don't want it to take an hour or two to get to her. Centerville to Falls Church to DC sounds like a mess of a daily commute to me (especially as 66 is carpool only inside the beltway)

Old 11-29-2010, 08:51 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
I live near Four Mile Run. Is it the best area? No it simply isn't. But I've been around that area late at night with no problems. So I wouldn't go running for the hills. The problem is that $1500 for a 2 bedroom is extremely low for Arlington. You're just not going to get the pick of the litter. But I like my neighborhood its up the hill from Four Mile Run and its quiet.

While North Arlington will be safer, the chances of finding a decent 2 bedroom for $1500 are almost none.

For the most part the further out you are the more you get for your money. So yes Centreville might be an option or perhaps Vienna or Fairfax. There are other parts of south Arlington that are okay though. But it doens't sound like you're willing to pay the extra money to live in the nicer parts of Arlington. So maybe a little further out is the key.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,126 times
I would opt for public schools and increase your housing budget. I suggest looking for rentals either in or near Vienna (say, in Fairfax) to minimize your commute and have more time for your kids.

Here's one I found, but I'm sure there are other possibilities:
2911 DEER HOLLOW WAY #324, FAIRFAX, VA 22031 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-HUNTERS+BRANCH-FAIRFAX-VA-MRIS-FX7481549 - broken link)

Old 11-29-2010, 05:18 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Four Mile Run and other south Arlington locations are not going to be convenient for trips to Vienna and Falls Church.

Westover apartments are cheap for the area, but they have a shared laundry room, not in-unit laundry, and they are old apartments. Anybody here have any personal experience with them?

Would also possibly look in north Arlington along Lee Hwy. Would not recommend Centreville for the OP's situation, due to location and length of commute.

EDIT: and what about Merrifield?

Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 23,000 times
Thank you for all your feedback and suggestions. My daughter used to go to a Montessori school before and I wanted to keep at least one thing constant After care was a concern too since it will take me while to get back from DC and the programs of the public schools i called were already at full capacity.

Based on your posts above and taking a real hard look at my priorities and finances, I've decided to focus on the fairfax area. I can get more space for the money I can spend and I want to rent for a while so it makes more sense. I hadn't thought of Merrifield and will definitely look into it. The commute would be great!

If you all wouldn't mind, I'd love to check back with the areas I find to hear your opinions on them.

Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia