U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 8,035 times

Advertisements

I am going to be studying for my masters at Marymount University this summer in Arlington, and completing the rest online with summer visits from home in Naples, FL. I am interested in the DC area and am considering eventually applying for teaching jobs in the area. I teach Spanish and I prefer Catholic schools. I would like to hear more about the area and maybe some pros and cons. I am married with a 2 yr. old daughter. My biggest concern is cost of living. I am not sure what the salaries are like, but I want to make sure it is feasible to live. Also, having been that I am a Tampa native and have never seen snow...I am a little scared as to how horrible the winters are.....Thanks for any comments...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 PM

628 posts, read 1,723,299 times
Depends on what kind of job your hubby will have here--if any. Your family won't survive on your parochial school salary alone. As for winters, only a problem once every 80 years, and that just occurred.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:41 PM

845 posts, read 2,067,285 times
I really doubt that the Catholics have to look very far to find Spanish teachers.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:42 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
Visit www.jpthegreat.org. It is the new Catholic High School in Woodbridge/Dumfries, VA. I got a newsletter just last week that they were having a hiring fair soon (I hope it hasn't already passed). E-mail them directly for information. You should not have a hard time finding something, although the pay and benefits will not be as much as working for a county school.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:01 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,553,761 times
I'm in a masters of education program at Marymount currently I'm doing their weekend cohort program in Reston. In the middle of my 2nd semester (it's a 2 year program). I'm curious how it works as an online program (I didn't even know they offered it!) How do you do your field experience and student teaching? How long is it? How many credits do you need?

You need to give a little more information about moving up here. Will your husband have an income? Or will it just be you? The parish schools here pay significantly less than public schools, so just your salary isn't going to cut it in the area, even with a masters. Schools are still hiring here. Secondary schools actually have a pretty good job outlook as far as I can tell (I'm going into math though, where there always seems to be a demand--not sure about Spanish).

Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 PM

Hi Guys..Just realized how to check up on a post...Thanks for your replies. Let me clarify that I am the husband and I am looking into an administration position (Asst. Principal), salary may be avg. 50,000. My wife will be going to school and currently works as a legal secretary and will look for work if we get to move. Still looking.......Wish us luck.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 PM

I am in the Catholic School Leadership program. Are you working currently at a Catholic or Public school?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:31 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa2Naples52 View Post
I am in the Catholic School Leadership program. Are you working currently at a Catholic or Public school?
Neither I'm currently an IT consultant, doing a career switch. I'm looking to teach in public schools though. (I'm not Catholic; I'm non-denominational Christian. The M. Ed program doesn't have a religious slant though).

Old 11-30-2010, 01:57 PM

3,879 posts, read 5,334,090 times
Don't know this for a fact but look into the independent Catholic Schools in the DC area. The ones not affliated with the Diocese might pay a little more -- their tuition is significantly higher. Georgetown Prep, Stone Ridge, Connolly School of the Holy Child, The Heights, Mater Dei, etc.

If you're not focused on specifically Catholic, remember there are tons of independent schools in metro DC. There is a small yellow book available in local bookstores. I think the name is "Guide to Independent Schools in Washington DC" (or something equally simple).

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia