Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 12:09 AM

35 posts, read 116,074 times

Advertisements

I've searched everywhere and can't find an acceptable solution. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
The only thing that I have been told by a professional in the security business (not alarm company) aside from retrofitting stronger glass into the sidelights, or adding a plexiglass/composite panel on the inside of the entire sidelight, was to ensure that the deadbolt was keyed only, and that said keys were removed from the door at all times -- so a spare set should be in the console table in the foyer, but it takes a little extra time to answer that door because of it.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,950,412 times
Forgive me, but what is a sidelight? And why does it need to be secured?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:00 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Forgive me, but what is a sidelight? And why does it need to be secured?
Sidelights are those rectangular windows some homes have on either side of the front door. I guess the fear is that someone can break through the glass and reach in and open the door.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Try asking in the house forum.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:46 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,114 times
Keyless deadbolts are typically used. And a key should be available at all times at least 3ft away from the door. Don't keep it in plain view as mentioned because if a robber did break in, let's say through a window, then they'd have a little trouble getting out of the door with stolen goods because they can't get out. Seriously, I had a neighbor who experienced this. Had a break-in while he was at work and saw his electronics and other stuff dropped by the front door (the thieves climbed out of the window).

Some people put plexiglass over their sidelights -- as an addition to block cold air as well as for security (although I'm not really sure how much stronger plexiglass really is).

I've seen decorative leading, U- and H-channels (like that used in stained glass) with clear glass but not sure how secure this would really be.

There's some stuff on the market that's like a window film but cannot be broken - even bombproof. Alot of storefronts with large windows use this. I can't remember the name but you can search through the Internet. And I think there are some distributors in the area because of the location/DC. Good luck! I have sidelights too and just have the deadbolts for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia