Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 917 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are considering a move to Old Town. I have a few questions...

What is anyone's take on living in a quadrant where the school is Jefferson instead of Lyles Crouch? From what I heard, Jefferson leaves a lot to be desired. Is that true? Thoughts? There seem to be some great houses where the school is Jefferson.

Also, are there any 'coveted' blocks/areas in Old Town? I've heard SE but is there anywhere to be/avoid?

Lastly.... how does one get an historic plaque? Some houses that were built in the early 1800's have them and some don't. How does it qualify? Just curious!

Thanks for answering any of these many questions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 10:46 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,151,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtotheot View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I are considering a move to Old Town. I have a few questions...

What is anyone's take on living in a quadrant where the school is Jefferson instead of Lyles Crouch? From what I heard, Jefferson leaves a lot to be desired. Is that true? Thoughts? There seem to be some great houses where the school is Jefferson.

Also, are there any 'coveted' blocks/areas in Old Town? I've heard SE but is there anywhere to be/avoid?

Lastly.... how does one get an historic plaque? Some houses that were built in the early 1800's have them and some don't. How does it qualify? Just curious!

Thanks for answering any of these many questions!!
Old Town is sort of a patchwork of more/less desirable areas. You really need to just drive around and see what appeals to you. If the surrounding blocks to a place look good to you, then you'll probably do fine there. Generally everything East of Washington St. is pretty nice (and expensive) but there are plenty of good neighborhoods on the other side as well, particularly in the South end of town.

Here's info. on the plaques:

HAF: Plaques

I can't speak to the school question as my kids went to FFX Co. schools.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,087,142 times
I don't know the answers to all of your questions but I can probably answer a few.

Hard to say what the most coveted blocks of Old Town are as the vast majority of it would be considered upscale. However, most anywhere east of Washington Street/GW Parkway up to the waterfront would be (even) more sought after than points west. What is your budget?

The only questionable area would be the Parker-Gray neighborhood which includes a lot of city-subsidized housing. Ironically, some of the more expensive homes in the city bump up against it. If you're looking at any of these homes east of Washington St, then I wouldn't worry about it. Any minor issues seem to occur west and closer to the Braddock Road train station. I wouldn't come stumbling home through there at 2am but daytime and normal commuting hours would be just fine.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:11 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,696,153 times
I'd say that the SE side is more sought after for a couple of reasons.
The close proximity to the river. -- some people like to be near the water and the bike path. But another benefit is that the river blocks any outside traffic from the east cutting through that sector. So, I'd say that 80% of the traffic will be local residents. It's nice not to have cars driving through your neighborhood all the time.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM

50 posts, read 131,082 times
I live a couple blocks north of King and east of Washington. In my opinion, this is a great location if you want the European city-life feel. Close to the core of Old Town yet relatively quiet (we do get tour buses, though). Easy walk to Market Square and the water. Walk to to shops, restuarants, etc. It's further from Metro, but there is get service on DASH or Metrobus if you don't want to walk.

If you have kids who will be going to public school, though, you might want to be in SE because of schools. As you go further south or the blocks closest to the water (Union, Lee), though, you'll want to pay attention to the flood hazard zone as flooding can be a problem. We're out of the flood hazard zone but got the insurance just in case.

West of Washington and South of King is pretty safe, although through traffic can be heavier. We almost moved there. It's closer to Metro but further from the heart of Old Town with a little less historic charm.

West of Washington and North of King has more problems with crime and public housing. Access to Metro and slightly lower prices are the big pluses. As a result, this is a slightly younger area. I also lived in this part (Parker Gray) for a few years. It works out well for many people, but I would do more research and definately visit at night. Things have been improving here although not as fast as many would like.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:08 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,339,562 times
I won't get on my soapbox against about the Parker-Gray area of Old Town. I'll just say that if you look at crime stats for this year, you'll find that there isn't a significant difference in crime between West of Washington and East of Washington on the northern side of King Street. South of King Street has the least amount of crime in Old Town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia