Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:37 PM

16 posts, read 42,612 times

Advertisements

Hi new poster here. I'm 23 years old and recently accepted a job offer in McLean that will begin early this July. I currently live in So. Texas (Kingsville) and this will be a HUGE move for me. I have already begun doing a bit of research on McLean and I am bit taken back by how expensive appts are compared to here. A 1bd 1bth here averages about 400-600/mo and according to apptguide.com, the same in McLean runs nearly triple that. My question is, Do most young single people who work in McLean live there? or do they live in D.C, MD, Arlington, Faifax, etc? I've never lived in a metro area and I'm trying to get as much info as possible. Appartment reviews seem to be largely negative in McLean but then again they are all negative for were I live to so I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

Any tips/help would be much appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 PM

309 posts, read 828,615 times
Search this forum for Arlington, read and then come back with some specific questions

Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,463 times
I'd second the Arlington recommendation, assuming you like going out to bars and think you would enjoy living somewhere where you primarily use mass transit and your feet to get places. Arlington is full of young people living in high rises near the Metro (< 1/4 mile) and group houses slightly farther away, but it's quite expensive, and if you're coming from a small town in Texas you will find people to be very cold/unfriendly.

If you think you'd rather live somewhere a bit more suburban, where there are more chain restaurants, traffic is less chaotic, and rents are slightly lower (i.e. you can get a nice one bedroom for $1300 instead of $1600), I'd suggest Reston. It won't really offer you a taste of city life, but there are still a lot of young people living there who work in Tysons Corner (most people who work in "McLean" really work in Tysons Corner) or the Dulles Tech Corridor. Reston has a lot of restaurants and is a very reasonable commute to Tysons (by the area's standards).

Definitely do not live in McLean/Tysons. It may become slightly more desirable in 2013, when you'll have direct Metro access into the city, but right now it's #1 advantage (and probably only advantage, from my standpoint) is that you'll be within a mile or two of your employer. If you were to change employers, though, that advantage could disappear in a flash.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:16 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
Most folks like you end up living in Arlington -- in the Ballston/Clarendon corridor or Shirlington -- or even DC. If you can find a roommate or two, as most recent college grads do, your budget won't be hit quite so much by the high housing prices in the area. But, even with a roommate, you're not likely to be paying $400 per month, so put that figure out of your mind, unless you're willing to live WAY far out (with a commute of well over an hour each way) or in a dangerous neighborhood. Don't even consider living in Maryland, which will make your commute a nightmare. And keep in mind that you will pay a premium for apartments close to DC and/or Metro -- if you are driving to work at Tyson's, you won't be getting much of a benefit from that price premium.
Good luck!

Old 03-01-2010, 02:53 PM

I've been looking up info on Arlington as you suggested and from the sound of it, its seems like a perfect place for someone in my position. I do seem to keep hearing negative things about living in D.C so I'm placing that idea on the backburner for now. I know this might sound like a very subjective question; but can someone making 50k/yr live there reasonably comfortable in your opinion? (i.e used car, single bedroom appt., very little debt.) I've been researching the statistics on the area but just wanted to get an honest opinion.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:15 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
You can definitely live on $50K, especially at age 23 with little debt. There are lots of recent college grads living on much less.
But you won't be living as well as you would in your current location at that salary. Many newcomers to DC have difficulties when they keep making that comparison. So long as you don't fall into that trap, you should be fine.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
You can definitely live on $50K, especially at age 23 with little debt. There are lots of recent college grads living on much less.
But you won't be living as well as you would in your current location at that salary. Many newcomers to DC have difficulties when they keep making that comparison. So long as you don't fall into that trap, you should be fine.
Thanks. Yeah 50k here in So. Texas would put me in the upper echelon of income earners easily. I guess I will need to prepare to start living a more frugal lifestyle than I am know. Still I'm excited to be moving to an area of the country with much more opportunity for college grads.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTexKid View Post
Thanks. Yeah 50k here in So. Texas would put me in the upper echelon of income earners easily. I guess I will need to prepare to start living a more frugal lifestyle than I am know. Still I'm excited to be moving to an area of the country with much more opportunity for college grads.
I would recommend looking for a roommate or 2. Of course it's nice to know them before you move in, but you might not have that luxury. If you like living close to the city, but not necesarily right in the action then Alexandria might be a good option. Generally the thoughts are that Arlington is the best place for singles in their 20's and Alexandria in their 30's. Thats somewhat true, but Alexandria isn't far from the action, and its a little cheaper than Arlington. Plus, you won't be tempted to go out every night If you are a party animal then Arlington is the clear choice on the VA side of the Potomac.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:05 PM

190 posts, read 844,457 times
ALso check out Falls Church.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I would recommend looking for a roommate or 2. Of course it's nice to know them before you move in, but you might not have that luxury. If you like living close to the city, but not necesarily right in the action then Alexandria might be a good option. Generally the thoughts are that Arlington is the best place for singles in their 20's and Alexandria in their 30's. Thats somewhat true, but Alexandria isn't far from the action, and its a little cheaper than Arlington. Plus, you won't be tempted to go out every night If you are a party animal then Arlington is the clear choice on the VA side of the Potomac.
Thanks for the insight. Im definitely not a party animal but I do enjoy the occasional wild night . I need to focus on my new career but still want to be in a city were there is plenty to do. I'll admit Im a little hesitant about the idea of a roomate(s) but it does seem like a good idea seeing as how I would at least know one person there. Not that I agree with stereotyping; but generally what are the people like in Arlington from your experience?

I ask because I have an friend who lived in southern Virginia and she tells me people from No. VA (McLean, Arlington specifically) would come down to were she lived and think they were all backwards hicks. I acknowledge however, thats just one persons judgement and she could be totally misleading. Are the young professionals snobby, cocky, all about partying? or are most people there pretty laid back? I know its still months away but I'm already excited/nervous about this move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia