U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,834,488 times

Advertisements

Just my opinion, but frankly I'd be thrilled to see an end to Saturday mail. A lot of people in northern Virginia take weekend trips. There are so many great places to travel for the weekend. But the thing I always hated about weekend trips was the damn mail being delivered on Saturdays, and if you don't get a neighbor to pick it up for you it tells criminals your home is easy to burglarize.

It's easy to get someone to grab your paper in the morning (especially if you don't care about getting it back from them) but more difficult to get someone to pick up your mail. And it's not practical to temporaily halt mail just for one day. Eliminating Saturday mail delivery eliminates these headaches.

So for that reason I think that halting Saturday mail will lower the rate of home burglaries in Nova. Just my opinion, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,058,741 times
You can place a "hold" on your mail delivery via email. Not sure why it's "not practical" to do this for one day.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:53 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,834,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
You can place a "hold" on your mail delivery via email. Not sure why it's "not practical" to do this for one day.
I tried it once, it didn't work well. My mail was delivered one of the days I wanted to have it "on hold" and wasn't delivered at all for several days after we returned. US Postal service means well but isn't really on the ball, IMO.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:23 PM

23,651 posts, read 33,462,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Just my opinion, but frankly I'd be thrilled to see an end to Saturday mail. A lot of people in northern Virginia take weekend trips. There are so many great places to travel for the weekend. But the thing I always hated about weekend trips was the damn mail being delivered on Saturdays, and if you don't get a neighbor to pick it up for you it tells criminals your home is easy to burglarize.

It's easy to get someone to grab your paper in the morning (especially if you don't care about getting it back from them) but more difficult to get someone to pick up your mail. And it's not practical to temporaily halt mail just for one day. Eliminating Saturday mail delivery eliminates these headaches.

So for that reason I think that halting Saturday mail will lower the rate of home burglaries in Nova. Just my opinion, what do you think?
I can't imagine not getting mail on Saturdays but I think getting rid of Saturday deliveries is not a bad idea but not for your reasons. I think it is more cost-efficient for the USPS.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:45 PM

628 posts, read 1,727,943 times
I suspect a one-day backlog of mail in your mailbox does not contribute to crime. The perpetrator would have to go around opening mailboxes on Sat night/Sun. I'd worry more about a car missing from the driveway or Sat and Sun papers on the ground. I am neutral about Sat delivery. If it saves money, I'm for it. Snail mail and newspapers are on life support anyway. In a generation or less, both will be handled via the internet.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,871,083 times
I laughed when I read this post. Plenty of people skip a day to check the mail on a Saturday. Missing one day of mail doesn't make a burgular come for a saturday night visit. Putting up an ADT sign is efficient if you are scared. I also think its safe to say that if they will walk around your ADT sign, they could give a crap about your mailbox flag.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:50 AM

230 posts, read 932,621 times
I love Sat mail delivery! No such thing downunder so it's one of the little things I love here. An extra day to get parcels delivered from back home

Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 AM

76 posts, read 193,581 times
Cut the mail to four days a week.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:29 AM

2,721 posts, read 6,270,728 times
The post office needs to change their business plan. Any other business goes in the red as much as the Post Office, and they go out of business. I guess the PO is too big too fail...

Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,585,325 times
I really hope they don't stop Saturday mail. At least not the post office buildings. Saturdays are the only days I'm able to get to the post office to mail packages, since I work later than the post office is open during the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia