Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 PM

104 posts, read 190,693 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know of a quicker route from the toll road (getting off at the exit for 7 just before 495) to Shreve Rd. (opposite side of 7 from the West Falls Church Metro Station) during rush hour?

I've tried getting off on 123 and taking some back roads that don't see to save any time. I've also tried going all the way down to 66 but that doesn't seem to be any better either.

Anybody know another another route I haven't tried to might save me time during rush? Getting from the toll road to Shreve Rd. this evening took over 30 minutes.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
I head over there from Ashburn one evening a week. I get off at 123 North, and take Great Falls down to Haycock (which turns into Shreve past Route 7). That is the fastest way I know of - especially now with all of the Metro and HOT lane construction in Tysons.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I head over there from Ashburn one evening a week. I get off at 123 North, and take Great Falls down to Haycock (which turns into Shreve past Route 7). That is the fastest way I know of - especially now with all of the Metro and HOT lane construction in Tysons.

Yeah, I've taken that way a few times. I would say the time that route takes is more consistent and averages out to about the same as taking 7 the whole way.

7 is so hit or miss...getting to that road around 5:15 in the evening, some days the traffic is relatively light and I can get down to Shreve within 10-15 minutes...other times it takes me closer to 45 minutes to make the same commute.

I guess it's time I give 123 another shot...thanks for your feedback.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:38 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Have you tried taking Route 7 west to Lewinsville Road and following across 123 where it changes to Great Falls St. and then making a right on Haycock and following across 7 to Shreve? The 123 intersection can have a good deal of traffic at peak rush hour times, otherwise it's not too bad of a delay. It certainly beats some of the delays at the lights on Route 7.

The other option would be to exit 7, west to Lewinsville, R on Spring Hill, under the Toll Road to where it becomes International Drive. Follow International across Route 7 to Gallows, then make a L on Idylwood, R on Virginia, and L on Shreve. Depending upon the time of day, though, International and Gallows can be a mess, too.

You could also take Route 7 east from the Toll Road, R on Gosnell, follow across 123 to where it becomes Old Courthouse, then get on Gallows and make the L on Idylwood, continuing as above. A variation on this route, avoiding Gallows, would be Gosnell to Old Courthouse, then R on Woodford, L on Electric, R on Williams, L on Idylwood, continue straight across Gallows to Virginia, and as above.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Have you tried taking Route 7 west to Lewinsville Road and following across 123 where it changes to Great Falls St. and then making a right on Haycock and following across 7 to Shreve? The 123 intersection can have a good deal of traffic at peak rush hour times, otherwise it's not too bad of a delay. It certainly beats some of the delays at the lights on Route 7.

The other option would be to exit 7, west to Lewinsville, R on Spring Hill, under the Toll Road to where it becomes International Drive. Follow International across Route 7 to Gallows, then make a L on Idylwood, R on Virginia, and L on Shreve. Depending upon the time of day, though, International and Gallows can be a mess, too.

You could also take Route 7 east from the Toll Road, R on Gosnell, follow across 123 to where it becomes Old Courthouse, then get on Gallows and make the L on Idylwood, continuing as above. A variation on this route, avoiding Gallows, would be Gosnell to Old Courthouse, then R on Woodford, L on Electric, R on Williams, L on Idylwood, continue straight across Gallows to Virginia, and as above.

I already remarked (above) about your first route but haven't tried the other two. I'll give them a chance and report my findings.

Thanks for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: