Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:11 PM

9 posts, read 17,038 times

Advertisements

So......I am leaving the SF Bay Area for my first non-California relocation! Definitely a little nervous!!
We are relocating to beautiful Northern Virginia and I am confused!
I have read websites, school reviews, crime posts and my head is swimming with too much data!!!

I know that 'locals' are where the good info comes from (I can give you the low down on the Bay Area!!), and since I don't yet know any Virginia locals, I would most appreciate your knowledgeable advice about where I should start looking.

I have a grade school aged child and my foremost concern is him. I would love for his school to be somewhat small, safe, and filled with kids from the surrounding area, so he can make local friends easily. His school here is public, has great academics and low kid to teacher ratio and fun afterschool programs, but it was hard to find and took some effort to find a place to live in the district and required pre-registration 9 months in advance! Any advice on what to expect when trying to get him in to a school in VA would be super.

My husband will be working in Sterling area and would prefer a reverse commute (don't we all!). I would love to be in an area with families, but not a brand new housing development. I prefer older homes and love a yard where you are not on top of the people next door.
However I am open to anyplace with green and trees, good neighbors and a community to be part of. Yeah, I know...too good to be true???? I hope not.

Thanks for any guidance or leads!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 01:43 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
You might want to post this in the Northern Virginia specific thread to get better info about schools. Mine went to private schools so I can't give you any advice there. I'd say Vienna/Oakton/Reston fit the trees, community, reverse commute, etc., but a lot of it depends on your housing budget. Although in DC, I'm not sure a reverse commute really exists. The traffic is everywhere.

You may want to give a clue about your political leanings. It is Washington, after all. If you're a very progressive Democrat, you might not be happy in the heart of Republican country.

Good luck.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:49 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinandchangin View Post
So......I am leaving the SF Bay Area for my first non-California relocation! Definitely a little nervous!!
We are relocating to beautiful Northern Virginia and I am confused!
I have read websites, school reviews, crime posts and my head is swimming with too much data!!!

I know that 'locals' are where the good info comes from (I can give you the low down on the Bay Area!!), and since I don't yet know any Virginia locals, I would most appreciate your knowledgeable advice about where I should start looking.

I have a grade school aged child and my foremost concern is him. I would love for his school to be somewhat small, safe, and filled with kids from the surrounding area, so he can make local friends easily. His school here is public, has great academics and low kid to teacher ratio and fun afterschool programs, but it was hard to find and took some effort to find a place to live in the district and required pre-registration 9 months in advance! Any advice on what to expect when trying to get him in to a school in VA would be super.

My husband will be working in Sterling area and would prefer a reverse commute (don't we all!). I would love to be in an area with families, but not a brand new housing development. I prefer older homes and love a yard where you are not on top of the people next door.
However I am open to anyplace with green and trees, good neighbors and a community to be part of. Yeah, I know...too good to be true???? I hope not.

Thanks for any guidance or leads!!!
Here are some photos of the areas right next to Sterling. Traffic is bad, so I recommend one of these towns to make your commute as short as possible.

Lowes Island (part of Cascades, which is the northern section of Sterling)
Reston-South Lakes
Reston-Town Center and Lake Anne
Herndon
Brambleton (a part of Ashburn)
Vienna
Sterling Park

I personally like Lowes Island. You'll definitely find green and trees, good neighbors and a community to be part of there. However, it's only about 20 years old (in the oldest areas, some sections were built in the last decade). If you want a place that's a little bit older, and slightly more urban, Reston is my second favorite. "Old" is a relative term. Nova has mostly new communities. These particular communities range from built in the 1960's to built in the last decade.

The best thing to do is check out the northern virginia forum. It's very active and has all sorts of information and photos.

BTW we moved here from California (Redondo Beach/Santa Barbara) and so have about half the mmebers of our forum. You'll find plenty of Californians in Nova these days.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
You might want to post this in the Northern Virginia specific thread to get better info about schools. Mine went to private schools so I can't give you any advice there. I'd say Vienna/Oakton/Reston fit the trees, community, reverse commute, etc., but a lot of it depends on your housing budget. Although in DC, I'm not sure a reverse commute really exists. The traffic is everywhere.

You may want to give a clue about your political leanings. It is Washington, after all. If you're a very progressive Democrat, you might not be happy in the heart of Republican country.

Good luck.
Thanks for the good info. Sad to hear that traffic will be the same as here. Always wish for less traffic!

Old 03-06-2010, 10:12 PM

Default GREAT help-thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Here are some photos of the areas right next to Sterling. Traffic is bad, so I recommend one of these towns to make your commute as short as possible.

Lowes Island (part of Cascades, which is the northern section of Sterling)
Reston-South Lakes
Reston-Town Center and Lake Anne
Herndon
Brambleton (a part of Ashburn)
Vienna
Sterling Park

I personally like Lowes Island. You'll definitely find green and trees, good neighbors and a community to be part of there. However, it's only about 20 years old (in the oldest areas, some sections were built in the last decade). If you want a place that's a little bit older, and slightly more urban, Reston is my second favorite. "Old" is a relative term. Nova has mostly new communities. These particular communities range from built in the 1960's to built in the last decade.

The best thing to do is check out the northern virginia forum. It's very active and has all sorts of information and photos.

BTW we moved here from California (Redondo Beach/Santa Barbara) and so have about half the mmebers of our forum. You'll find plenty of Californians in Nova these days.
Awesome list - thank you for your time. I will peruse the NoVA forum for more details. We plan on flying in for a scouting trip so I can get a feel for the area. Sounds like we are going to be in a similar locale as here with regards to traffic and suburbs. Thank you again~

Old 03-07-2010, 01:24 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
IF you are from California, especially from the San Francisco Bay Area, adjusting to Northern Virginia will be quite easy with little culture shock. Just keep in mind that's not the "real Virginia". Go south or west out of NOVA and its a whole different experience.....in my opinion a more pleasant one.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Awesome list - thank you for your time. I will peruse the NoVA forum for more details. We plan on flying in for a scouting trip so I can get a feel for the area. Sounds like we are going to be in a similar locale as here with regards to traffic and suburbs. Thank you again~
It's somewhat the same, but just so you know not everyone from SF likes it here. For one thing, we don't have the "California vibe." Nova is not glamorous, nor is it a tourist destination. While we have a lot of things to do here we don't have quite as much of a variety as you'll find in SF (although if you like touristy things, you can find plenty of those sorts of things in DC). Nova does not have the foodie culture of SF. Also, our population is extremely diverse... in all ways. SF has a diversity of races, but a predominance of one political pov (liberal) and a predominance of one cultural pov (being politically correct). Some people from SF experience a little culture shock when they move here and experience the diversity here.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:08 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:

You had to pre-register 9 months in advance for a public school? You won't have to do anything like that here. If he is going to his local public school there will be no amount of "trying to get him in". The school may or may not be small, but it will be safe and filled with kids from the neighborhood.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
IF you are from California, especially from the San Francisco Bay Area, adjusting to Northern Virginia will be quite easy with little culture shock. Just keep in mind that's not the "real Virginia". Go south or west out of NOVA and its a whole different experience.....in my opinion a more pleasant one.
Thanks Tom. I haved lived in the Bay Area all of my life and only in the City for a few years, in my twenties! As an adult I have always chosen the hills and small towns surrounding the Bay and then commuted to work in Oakland or SF. The SF lifestyle is not my reality, just my occasional evening out or trip to the museum.

Do you think that there is anywhere south or west of Sterling that might be commutable to Sterling but be a sweet place to raise our son? Honestly, safety, nice schools and good people are what are important for me. Thank you~

Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Default Beautiful school news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
You had to pre-register 9 months in advance for a public school? You won't have to do anything like that here. If he is going to his local public school there will be no amount of "trying to get him in". The school may or may not be small, but it will be safe and filled with kids from the neighborhood.
Super. We are scheduled to leave here after this school year, but have no idea where we are going to live yet, only that it be within commute distance to Sterling. I have been so concerned about not being able to get my son into school next fall somewhere near wherever we decide to live. Here in Oakland, the local school can be great, in a nice area, but be full by the preceeding January and the next school within 5 miles is really bad and not a place to send your child. I
If I don't have to contend with that element then I am relieved.
Any towns surrounding Sterling that you reccomend? My husband is used to a commute, so he can do it in Virginia too..........Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia