Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 04:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,983 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're looking at a townhouse (3br) in this zip code, just off little river turnpike and are wondering about things like crime, safety, schools and commute to DC.

Our research suggests that it's about 45 min-1 hour to DC (metrobus to Pentagon and then metro). Is this right? And what about driving -- I admit, we have no idea in that regard.

Also, we noticed that property assessments were lower in this area than the asking price of the property. This seemed different to us than many of the other places we looked at in Alexandria. This concerns me -- are there any red flags here?

Finally, the elementary school is columbia elementary. Any particular thoughts on this school would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 PM

26,683 posts, read 41,550,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschr1 View Post
Hi all,

We're looking at a townhouse (3br) in this zip code, just off little river turnpike and are wondering about things like crime, safety, schools and commute to DC.

Our research suggests that it's about 45 min-1 hour to DC (metrobus to Pentagon and then metro). Is this right? And what about driving -- I admit, we have no idea in that regard.

Also, we noticed that property assessments were lower in this area than the asking price of the property. This seemed different to us than many of the other places we looked at in Alexandria. This concerns me -- are there any red flags here?

Finally, the elementary school is columbia elementary. Any particular thoughts on this school would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
You may want to be more specific. The 22312 zip code includes parts of Alexandria City and Fairfax County which can make a big difference. The name of the elementary school might mean you're looking on the Fairfax Co. side since Alexandria City don't have an elementary school named Columbia.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,048,461 times
I think the OP is talking about the portion of the 22312 zip code in eastern Fairfax County that borders the City of Alexandria and has an Alexandria mailing address. The students at Columbia ES have Alexandria or Annandale addresses.

http://www.fcps.edu/images/boundarymaps/columbiaes.pdf

I think this is a pretty nice area and it is not at all unusual for asking prices to exceed the latest Fairfax County tax assessments. The sales prices will depend more on recent comparable sales than the latest tax assessment.

For what it's worth, many of the townhouse developments in this area (particularly Pinecrest) are close to Thomas Jefferson High School - the county's magnet high school. It may not be considered the nicest part of the county, but the county is not going to let the area close to TJHSST get too run down.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,983 times
Thanks for the reply. You're quite right, it's in the Fairfax school district. As to location, it's just off Little River Turnpike, quite close to Thomas Jefferson HS.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschr1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. You're quite right, it's in the Fairfax school district. As to location, it's just off Little River Turnpike, quite close to Thomas Jefferson HS.
FYI - there's a section of 22312 that's a bit further east on 236 towards the City of Alexandria, but still in Fairfax County, that's less pleasant. But that's not where you're looking, as the area I've just described is in the Parklawn ES district, not the Columbia ES district.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:46 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,345,686 times
Not entirely sure where the OP is looking, as I don't know the school district boundaries, but I will say that the area right near 395 on Little River is not as nice as the areas further west toward Annandale, like Pinecrest.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Not entirely sure where the OP is looking, as I don't know the school district boundaries, but I will say that the area right near 395 on Little River is not as nice as the areas further west toward Annandale, like Pinecrest.
That was sort of the point of my last post, but the area right near 395 on Little River Turnpike isn't in the Columbia ES district, which is further west. The areas right near 395 will either be in the City of Alexandria or in the Weyanoke or Parklawn ES districts in Fairfax County.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:59 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,694,723 times
We were looking at homes there, and the neighborhood seemed nice. I actually prefer that area vs the landmark area. Drive around and check out the local reataurants & stores to get a better idea of your immediate surroundings. As for home prices, you may want to check with a realator to find out the latest trends in prices and assessments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia