U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:38 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,663,548 times

Advertisements

not just the east coast... LA is bad.

But surprisingly so can be DENVER CO...the sunshine state. (my home state) The pollution in Denver can be so bad that you cannot see the mountians. The mountians trap all the pollutants in the city and the smog just hangs there. They have many many Ozone action days. (so does Pittsburg) where you can not BBQ or anything and they say stay indoors etc... I haven't heard of any Ozone action days here in NoVa.

I have a pretty blue sky out right now....and it's not too humid (we had rain yesterday...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 AM

1,341 posts, read 5,642,268 times
Hey 5stones, your last name isn't Stone is it? That's my wife's maiden name. Her parents had four kids and - being involved with the peace corps and farm & wilderness camps - they called themselves the rolling stones

Kathryn Stone, my father in-laws mother (Bill Tracking - 2001 session > Legislation) was the first woman elected to the VA legislature from NoVA. She and her husband Harold also helped found Burgundy Farm Country Day School.

Sean

Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 AM

cool. impressive lady!
but no not my last name, just a variation of it and we are a family of 5.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:51 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,362,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
not just the east coast... LA is bad.

But surprisingly so can be DENVER CO...the sunshine state. (my home state) The pollution in Denver can be so bad that you cannot see the mountians. The mountians trap all the pollutants in the city and the smog just hangs there. They have many many Ozone action days. (so does Pittsburg) where you can not BBQ or anything and they say stay indoors etc... I haven't heard of any Ozone action days here in NoVa.
Yep, pollution is everywhere in the urban U.S. for the most part, but the excessive humidity and mugginess is generally confined to the Eastern U.S.

I used to live in LA and I couldn't believe how bad the air quality was on some days. The air was yellow and it felt almost so thick with pollutants that you could chew it.
Quote:
I have a pretty blue sky out right now....and it's not too humid (we had rain yesterday...)
Yep, it's quite nice out right now. I think I'm going to pry myself off of this computer and go enjoy the day .

Old 06-05-2007, 09:41 PM

53 posts, read 346,294 times
Southern California is pretty icky in the summer. The brown air hangs stagnantly just over your head it seems. True, it's pretty dry, but even that has changed. We are distinctly humid at many times over the summer. My husband attributes it to the "concrete jungle". There's nothing to absorb the heat and humidity so hangs all around us. I'm not sure about that but I do notice it is different now then when I was a kid (although the brown is slightly better then at that time). We're socked in with May Gray and June Gloom until it clears just before July. You really have to look at the good stuff where you live that comes from moisture in the air. Look at your beautiful green, everywhere you look. I've never been anyplace so green! It's breathtaking. And it seems just when the humidity seems unbearable a little rainstorm comes through quickly and wipes the humidity away. When I got home from my annual summer trip to Virginia and walked out of LAX, I felt depressed by all the ugliness that is LA. The grass truly is not greener (quite literally) anyplace else.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 AM

NO hazy, hot and humind on june 6th!!!

today is beautiful!!! 66 degree breezy and blue skies with white puffy clouds!!

I getting ready to go garden and get the lawn mowed!

Old 06-06-2007, 03:48 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,890,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
NO hazy, hot and humind on june 6th!!!

today is beautiful!!! 66 degree breezy and blue skies with white puffy clouds!!

I getting ready to go garden and get the lawn mowed!
Yeah, ummmmmmmmmmm...... 4 straight months starting now

Old 06-07-2007, 01:48 PM

23 posts, read 115,185 times
DC and Northern VA is NOT HUMID at all, the summers are nice compared to San Antonio and Houston. 100% humidity with 100+ degree temperature. Ya'll don't know how bad it is. When I was at The University of Houston in summer, they would give you a 1-gallon de-humidifier bag, I would hang this in my room at night and in the morning it is full of water. The summers are nothing for me, actually quite nice.

But the skies and lakes in central TX are so clear and crystine. I miss them....

Old 06-08-2007, 01:12 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,122,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromTX View Post
DC and Northern VA is NOT HUMID at all, the summers are nice compared to San Antonio and Houston. 100% humidity with 100+ degree temperature. Ya'll don't know how bad it is. When I was at The University of Houston in summer, they would give you a 1-gallon de-humidifier bag, I would hang this in my room at night and in the morning it is full of water. The summers are nothing for me, actually quite nice.

But the skies and lakes in central TX are so clear and crystine. I miss them....
Most ridiculous statement ever. There has NEVER been 100 degree temperatures with 100% humidity ANYWHERE in this country, or the world, for that matter. That's pretty much impossible. That would mean that the dewpoint temperature would have to be 100 degrees as well, which just does not happen. You obviously have NEVER been to Northern Virginia and DC. Some summer days put Florida and Texas to shame. There are many years in which there are heat waves in Virginia in the mid to upper 90s with dewpoints in the upper 60s to mid 70s.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:01 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,890,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Most ridiculous statement ever. There has NEVER been 100 degree temperatures with 100% humidity ANYWHERE in this country, or the world, for that matter. That's pretty much impossible. That would mean that the dewpoint temperature would have to be 100 degrees as well, which just does not happen. You obviously have NEVER been to Northern Virginia and DC. Some summer days put Florida and Texas to shame. There are many years in which there are heat waves in Virginia in the mid to upper 90s with dewpoints in the upper 60s to mid 70s.
Well I know for fact that Central Florida has many days of 90's with humidity in the 90 percentile somewhere.

Virginia has short stretches that are hotter and more oppressive, but over the long haul of the summer I'll take Virginia any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or