U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2010, 02:11 PM

13 posts, read 14,356 times
Default Single, late 20's, work in Tysons/MD, Live in?

Hi there,

I am new to the area (aren't we all?) and I need some pointers.

About me:
1) Newly single, late 20's guy without a friend network in the area
2) Currently living near Ballston, but find the restaurants and bars somewhat boring (the favorite haunts here are limited)
3) Like everything about the concept of living in DC (the idea of kickball leagues, happy hours around the corners, leaving a client in suit and having an easy transition into martini)
4) Client work also takes me to Tysons and Maryland 3-4 days a week
5) Living close to major highway arteries would be great, but not required
6) Loves good food, vibrance of culture, and the activities of a major city
7) Can handle a commute of about 50mins to an hr

Right now I live near Ballston, and like the concept of metroing into DC on the weekends so I dont get a DWI, but I still feel like I am distanced from alot of group activities. I like Gallery Place, the thought of having drinks in Cap Hill, but dont know where I should live in order to meet people my age (28-35), including a nice little lassie.

Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 05:13 PM

2,698 posts, read 1,686,656 times
Well it sounds like you would rather live in DC than VA. SW Dc along the waterfront is up & coming, and they have great restaurants. You could try and find something close to L-Enfant plaza which would also give you easy access to downtown or chinatown. Another area wich is cool is the Eastern market or Marine barracks (8th st/I St SE) areas. They have a nice strip of restaurants, and you are close to capital hill and Nationals park.

On the VA side, I would suggest old town alexandria for good restaurants, or maybe the you would like Clarendon better than Ballston? A few blocks could make the difference?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Default good advice

Thats sounds good to me. Which one of those areas will put me in a better position to access arteries to get to McLean and MD?

thanks for your help!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 PM

7,721 posts, read 11,599,933 times
Clarendon is not working for you, either? Or does "Ballston" also encompass that nearby neighborhood for your purposes? If the answer to either is "No", then I would suggest checking that neighborhood out.

I agree that Old Town Alexandria is a good choice for those who may be tiring of the post-college scene and want a scene that's a bit more sophisticated and laid-back. You wouldn't be too far from the Beltway via Route 1 or the GW Parkway which would allow you convenient access to both Tysons and MD. A DC-to-Tysons commute may not be fun if you have to travel during typical rush hour.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 PM

9,339 posts, read 15,363,054 times
I would recommend Georgetown and perhaps part of The Palisades, since you need to be close to Tysons and Maryland, though it depends upon which part of MD. The Palisades is going to be a bit more residential, save for the MacArthur Boulevard area. And, even that is not going to have anything substantially different than Ballston, though you would pay significantly more.

Georgetown would work, because you have an array of shops and restaurants in the immediate vicinity, and you're not far from the Metro at Foggy Bottom to get to other areas of the city. Also, the Circulator bus will take you to the Golden Triangle area, and over to Capitol Hill at Union Station, so that offers some flexibility if you do not want to drive. Parking can be especially difficult in Georgetown, however.

If you want to stay in Virginia, both for lower price tags (compared to Georgetown) and for easier parking, I would look into Rosslyn since you can catch the shuttle bus to Georgetown from Rosslyn, or just walk across the Key Bridge. The bus runs to 2am on Friday/Saturday, and midnight the rest of the week. It picks up passengers at Rosslyn and DuPont Circle stations, making a few stops in Georgetown en route.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would recommend Georgetown and perhaps part of The Palisades, since you need to be close to Tysons and Maryland, though it depends upon which part of MD. The Palisades is going to be a bit more residential, save for the MacArthur Boulevard area. And, even that is not going to have anything substantially different than Ballston, though you would pay significantly more.

Georgetown would work, because you have an array of shops and restaurants in the immediate vicinity, and you're not far from the Metro at Foggy Bottom to get to other areas of the city. Also, the Circulator bus will take you to the Golden Triangle area, and over to Capitol Hill at Union Station, so that offers some flexibility if you do not want to drive. Parking can be especially difficult in Georgetown, however.

If you want to stay in Virginia, both for lower price tags (compared to Georgetown) and for easier parking, I would look into Rosslyn since you can catch the shuttle bus to Georgetown from Rosslyn, or just walk across the Key Bridge. The bus runs to 2am on Friday/Saturday, and midnight the rest of the week. It picks up passengers at Rosslyn and DuPont Circle stations, making a few stops in Georgetown en route.
Thanks, sounds like Georgetown is the place I need to check out. I like Clarendon, but just doesnt have the vibrance of city life and activities as does the DC area. Appreciate everyone's suggestions, ill report back!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:05 PM

2,698 posts, read 1,686,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinDC View Post
Thats sounds good to me. Which one of those areas will put me in a better position to access arteries to get to McLean and MD?

thanks for your help!
If you want an easier commute then you will want to be close to the Chain bridge. Its basically the far western corner of DC. If you were to move to other parts of DC then you might be ok too, but choose wisely young grasshopper

Old 03-10-2010, 05:54 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,011,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinDC View Post
If you stay on the VA side (alexandria, rosslyn, etc. as have mentioned) then taking the GW Parkway north/west to the beltway will bring you close to McLean. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 AM

81 posts, read 139,989 times
I used to reverse commute (effectively) from Dupont (around 17th and R) to McLean in the morning and it was very easy. Took 20 min without any congestion via GW Pkwy.

However, there is probably congestion getting into Tysons from McLean proper due to the construction, but that's going to be a fundamental problem unless you come in from the Vienna side.

You might like Dupont, although you might wind up with a lad rather than a lass.

p.s. The reason that it is very easy to get out of DC in the morning from Dupont is that 17th is one way with synchronized lights, so you shoot right down to where it ends and then jog over to 18th, hit E St., take the tunnel and you are on the bridge and then the Pkwy. I don't think that you will find things to be that much quicker out of Georgetown where roads tend to be more congested at all hours.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrnova View Post
I used to reverse commute (effectively) from Dupont (around 17th and R) to McLean in the morning and it was very easy. Took 20 min without any congestion via GW Pkwy.

However, there is probably congestion getting into Tysons from McLean proper due to the construction, but that's going to be a fundamental problem unless you come in from the Vienna side.

You might like Dupont, although you might wind up with a lad rather than a lass.

p.s. The reason that it is very easy to get out of DC in the morning from Dupont is that 17th is one way with synchronized lights, so you shoot right down to where it ends and then jog over to 18th, hit E St., take the tunnel and you are on the bridge and then the Pkwy. I don't think that you will find things to be that much quicker out of Georgetown where roads tend to be more congested at all hours.

That is perfect advice and I'm going to take you up on it. I do get hit on by a fair share of lads here in DC, unfortunately. However, I should do what women do, which is accept their drinks, and then move on to something that is of actual interest.

I will give it up to DC so far though. I've had two dates so far, and the quality of conversation and their exposure to the world has to make it one of the best places to date single women. Seems like if you arent repulsive looking, make 100k+, clever enough to feed off their wit, and have a acquaintance or friend who can make an introduction - you are gold here.

I'm starting to quietly rock a salt and pepper rug and apparently that helps in this unique place.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Know of any great condos/apmts that strikes a good balance with price/return?

Last edited by EinDC; 03-14-2010 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia