U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 AM

22 posts, read 29,575 times

Advertisements

I am a huge fan of the Northern VA area and have a good grasp of all of the areas here. However, I am a little ignorant regarding Southern MD.

I was hoping that some of you guys could give me your opinion and some facts of why you might feel (assuming you do) that NOVA is a better place to live...

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 09:58 AM

5,716 posts, read 5,756,964 times
It really comes down to personality difference.

I'd first like to define what you mean by southern MD.

I used to live in Clinton, MD which is southern PG county is a counted as "southern MD." Waldorf and La Plata are southern MD; however, those two areas a WAY more developed than, say, Charlotte Hall or points farther south.

With that it mind, I will say that it takes a certain personality to like southern MD. If you are into nice shopping malls, better-than-chain fine dining, and more of the urban lifestyle, you won't like Southern MD. I never liked it for those reasons and I spent the better part of my life there. Much of my family still lives there and they love things about it that I don't (access to water/boating, open space for the recreational vehicles. likeminded people who like car racing, horses, boating, crab houses, fishing, hunting, etc.). They would absolutely LOATHE NoVA. I pretty much hate southern MD. But there is nothing wrong with southern MD. Most men really like it! They like having 5+ acres and the whole "land" thing. Waldorf is a different story. Much like PG county, crime has encroached on that area, and pull planning for development.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:23 AM

15,400 posts, read 17,891,885 times
Are you talking about the part of the DC metro area that's in MD (mostly PG, Montgomery, and Howard counties)? If so, it's pretty much the same as Nova. I think we've had a few threads recently on the differences, but basically they're minor differences.

If you're talking about the area near La Plata, that's a much more rural area than Nova. Also, some of the communities are much poorer (not all, but some). Some of those areas are prone to storms, flooding, etc. Fun to visit, but not always the most pleasant places to live. OTOH, if you want to be near the water, southern MD's got a lot more waterfront properties than Nova.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:46 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,487,180 times
I LOVE St Mary's and Calvert Counties....boatin' and fishin' paradise! I looked hard around there for my summer place, but ended up across the Bay in Dorchester.

Southern Md would be a hellish commute to DC area jobs, however...

Old 03-07-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Southern Md would be a hellish commute to DC area jobs, however...
I know a lot of people that commute into DC from Waldorf and La Plata. Anything farther down, I don't see much. It's probably slightly worse than coming in from Woodbridge, but not as bad as Fredericksburg. The bad thing about Southern MD for commuting options is the lack thereof. There is no HOV, so no incentive to carpool or bus in except for your own personal expense. You just get stuck in the Rt. 228 or Rt. 5 gridlock.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:22 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,636,711 times
We've lived in both. For us, the amount of crime in Southern Maryland was just intolerable. We've lived all over this country and overseas. We have never lived anywhere with that much crime. Maybe I've been sheltered. But Germantown, Maryland is a scary place in my opinion.

The schools are better in NOVA. At least that was our experience. I know that some areas of Maryland that have great schools. We didn't find any in Germantown.

The tax structure is better in NOVA.

I think the people are much, much friendlier in NOVA.

Way too much section 8 housing all over everywhere in Montgomery County. It's completely destroyed what people tell me used to be really nice areas.

My husband's commute was a nightmare from Maryland. Sometimes 1.5-2 hours on the Metro/Bus. From Burke, Virginia it's an easy 40 minutes on a nice, clean, quiet VRE train. And he can drink his coffee.

Of all the places we've lived, Maryland is the only place that we absolutely would not live in again. Not even if you bought us a house and paid us to live there.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 AM

FYI, Germantown is not considered southern Maryland. Southern Maryland is from the bottom portion of PG County, all of Charles County, St. Mary's County, and Calvert County.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
FYI, Germantown is not considered southern Maryland. Southern Maryland is from the bottom portion of PG County, all of Charles County, St. Mary's County, and Calvert County.
It's easy to get confused about what is and is not southern MD. When you live in an area called "Northern Virginia", it seems natural that the corresponding part of the DC metro area across the potomac would be "Southern Maryland".

It takes a while to realize Maryland's unusual shape means some of the state is north of us but a significant portion of the geography is actually on the delmarva peninsula, east and south of northern virginia.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 AM

I understand!

However, when discussing the DC Metropolitan area, you just start addressing the Maryland areas that surround DC. Southern MD is "south" PG county and lower. But I get that in comparison to Baltimore, most of Maryland surrounding DC seems "south."

Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I understand!

However, when discussing the DC Metropolitan area, you just start addressing the Maryland areas that surround DC. Southern MD is "south" PG county and lower. But I get that in comparison to Baltimore, most of Maryland surrounding DC seems "south."
What's always cracked me up is that Virginia is technically a coastal state. Yet, if you want to go to the beach cities (Rehoboth, Dewey, Bethany) you have to drive east across two states (MD and DE).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia