U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:57 PM

639 posts, read 1,147,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Most responses have focused on illegal immigration, and few on the demographics of Arlington and why it would feel like Mexico or Central America to the OP.

The OP conflates a thriving Hispanic population with the issue of illegal immigration. Were he or she to visit some other city's Little Italy or Russian section, would the immediate conclusion be that illegal immigration was rampant? Would the assumption be that the place was a sanctuary city?

I'm going to guess no - it's way more difficult to get here from Russia or Italy illegally than it is to walk over the border from Mexico; but that's just a theory.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:49 PM

7,897 posts, read 7,234,392 times
Arlington and Alexandra are sanctuary cities. City governments have decided to ignore federal and state laws cracking down on illegal immigrants.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:15 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,118,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
I'm going to guess no - it's way more difficult to get here from Russia or Italy illegally than it is to walk over the border from Mexico; but that's just a theory.
Don't guess, just look north. You do know that it's easy to enter the US from Canada, too? That's one of the preferred routes for illegal Asian immigrants, but I don't hear people assuming that NoVA's Asians are illegals. They aren't entering in the numbers as what's coming from the south, but you might be surprised. They even have the equivalent of "coyotes" ferrying people from Canada.

And it's not so difficult to get here from any country, Russia, Italy, or otherwise, with a valid tourist or student visa and then overstay.

Arlington's Hispanic community doesn't deserve being looked down on.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:42 PM

18,614 posts, read 16,376,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post
With the beautiful weather today, I decided to tour parts of Arlington country on bicycle, to include the areas surrounding Shirlington and the Four corners (?) area.

Coming from DC, I was in total culture shock, feeling at some points as though I had left the country and was now in Mexico or Central America.

I just have to ask - What in the world is going on in Arlington County?

I've only live in the District for a few years, and rarely travel into Virginia outside of the Crystal City/Alexandria area. Is this a recent phenomena? Has Arlington always been sanctuary city?

The most surreal experience of today was probably seeing the official county road sign which read "Pick Up Day Laborers Here".

Appreciate your input.
Insanity. My dad used to take me to a barbershop in South Arlington. I swung by there and it looked like Mexico City or something. I wouldn't mind it so much if went through natural changes due to domestic pressures but importing so many people to change that neighborhood and others seems criminal.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Russia- Yes you still need a visa to enter the USA.

Italy not so much one could come on a tourist visa and overstay it happens all but since Italy is a decent country and potential emigrants there can go elsewhere within the EU legally, illegal Italians are relatively rare.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Most responses have focused on illegal immigration, and few on the demographics of Arlington and why it would feel like Mexico or Central America to the OP.

The OP conflates a thriving Hispanic population with the issue of illegal immigration. Were he or she to visit some other city's Little Italy or Russian section, would the immediate conclusion be that illegal immigration was rampant? Would the assumption be that the place was a sanctuary city?

Hispanics have lived in Arlington County in large numbers for decades, back when diversity in Springfield meant there was one black family in your subdivision.

So to one aspect of the question - is it a recent phenomenon to see many Hispanics in Arlington - absolutely not. You didn't see many in Crystal City? No surprise, that's historically been a work place for the government and supporting jobs, and dead after 5pm (only recently changing). Alexandria's Arlandria community is largely Hispanic, although it was mostly black (from what I remember) in the 1970s and 80s.

There were areas of large Hispanic populations in Arlington when I lived near Courthouse in the 1980s (mostly apartment dwellers), and south Arlington has long been heavily Hispanic, especially along Columbia Pike (which connects with Four Mile Run, where you saw the day laborer pickup spot).

It is true that there are certain to be illegal immigrants in the midst, but it's illogical to see a group of people looking for work and assume they are here illegally. Legal Hispanic immigrants often are of working class with few professional skills, and manual labor is what they can do.

I think Arlington has been a sanctuary for illegal Hispanic immigrants primarily because of the long history of a Hispanic presence - they aren't seen as a threatening outsider group, unlike places like Prince William, where the whites were bewildered by the influx of people with a different language and different customs. Also, Walter Tejada, on the Arlington County board, has frequently pushed back against any government (Virginia's or Federal) requirements that could be detrimental to illegal immigrants.

It's one thing to have a debate about illegal immigrants in a community, but to look upon a large population of Hispanics and wonder if you're still in the USA? What's wrong with lots of Hispanics living in Arlington (or elsewhere)?
Good point a lot of the Salvadorans, Nicaraguans and Hondurans are legal via the defacto permanent, Temporary Protected Status program. That program probably has just about or even more impact as illegal immigration does in rapidly increasing the Hispanic population here.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,057,954 times
As a South Arlingtonian just up the hill and less than a mile from the aforementioned area, figured I'd chime in. I like my neighborhood the diversity is truly staggering but keeps things interesting I say. Am I a big fan of illegal immigration? No. But I think the point of the day laborer place is to keep folks from hanging out on the corner or better yet at gas stations and 7-11 type places like they do in Annandale.

It doesn't really bother me. That's so down-the-hill for me. I like having neighbors of all types of colors. Do I think the loiterring and stuff often associated with Hispanic areas is a aesthetic pleasing? Not by any means looks trashy and makes me not want to go inside the business. But its really the businesses job to enforce loiterring laws by calling the cops. They don't because they know where their money is coming from. We're always so quick to blame folks who come from poor countries for wanting to be here but really and truly its businesses that employ illegal immigrants that are the bad guys. You can't blame anyone for wanting a better life by any means possible.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:07 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,057,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Insanity. My dad used to take me to a barbershop in South Arlington. I swung by there and it looked like Mexico City or something. I wouldn't mind it so much if went through natural changes due to domestic pressures but importing so many people to change that neighborhood and others seems criminal.
Careful your fangs are showing.

Domestic pressures? Huh?

Importing people? What the barber shop called Mexico City and was like: "Yeah I wanna order about 5 or 6 brown people."

I don't know how old you are but honestly if your dad took you to this barbershop I"m gonna guess that was a number of years ago. Places change. What the barber should kick out all non-whites from his/her establishment?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:00 AM

639 posts, read 1,147,795 times
Quote:
Don't guess, just look north. You do know that it's easy to enter the US from Canada, too? That's one of the preferred routes for illegal Asian immigrants, but I don't hear people assuming that NoVA's Asians are illegals. They aren't entering in the numbers as what's coming from the south, but you might be surprised. They even have the equivalent of "coyotes" ferrying people from Canada.

And it's not so difficult to get here from any country, Russia, Italy, or otherwise, with a valid tourist or student visa and then overstay.

Arlington's Hispanic community doesn't deserve being looked down on.

You're right, I forgot about ole' Canada.

However, I'm not referring to overstaying on a visa; the hispanics that come here illegally rarely even do that, they just walk right over and don't take any sort of legal route.
I guess my point is, while it might be somewhat easy to come here from Europe and overstay on a visa, it's definately less difficult to just walk over a border.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 AM

36 posts, read 57,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I live in Fairfax County where most folks don't worry as much about it. Noblesse oblige perhaps? The concern seems to be inversely proportional to an area's economic status. This is generally consistent with overall patterns of racism and xenophobia in the country.
wait... what? prince william county, loudon county, and fairfax county are all some of the richest counties in america

America's 25 Richest Counties - 14. County: Prince William County, Va. - Forbes.com

America's 25 Richest Counties - 2. County: Fairfax County, Va. - Forbes.com

America's 25 Richest Counties - 1. County: Loudoun County, Va. - Forbes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia