Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,434 times

Advertisements

My career is bringing my wife, 7 year old daughter, and I to the NOVA area. I will be splitting my time roughly 50/50 between DC and Reston. Since we are still carrying a mortgage back home we will be looking for a decent 2 bedroom apartment ($1300 - $1600 a month) that is somewhere between my 2 work locations, a decent school, and decent dining/entertainment. I am already resigned to the fact that the commute will be hell one way or the other.I was just looking for suggestions of decent locations as well as an estimate on utility cost (trash, electric, gas, cable, internet) for roughly a 1000 sq foot 2 bedroom apartment. Any advice that can be offered would help immensely as we try to build or reocation cost and monthly budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:33 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I would seriously consider the Fairfax area since you are going to have relatively easy access to Reston and DC, though if you can travel at off-peak times to both, that can certainly help with the traffic. Another benefit to Fairfax, is that you can use Metro to DC from the Vienna-Fairfax station, even catching the city's own CUE bus bus to/from if you're so inclined. If not, it's only a few minutes' drive to the Metro station, but earlier is better as parking tends to get competitive. Alternatively, you could drive to the Dunn Loring Metro station and park at a commercial garage on a monthly account across the street (behind the office buildings).

There are a few good apartment complexes in your budget range, though closer to the Metro, you would be more in the 1BR category. For example, in the City of Fairfax, Fairfax Square apartments have 2BRs around the $1500/month range. It's a convenient community that's not far from shopping, and close to Old Town Fairfax for dining options. The complex itself has an office park/mall attached to it with a bank, some shops, offices, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 AM

696 posts, read 1,694,795 times
We stayed in Fairfax Square for 90 days (last summer) with two children and two dogs. Granted it was a corporate relocation so we didn't pay, but we enjoyed it. The pool is fantastic and there are quite a few families there with children. I remember the bus stop was FULL of young children. Daniels Run is a pretty good school too from what I understand. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the informative posts. I am scheduling an apartment hunting trip and will be sure to include Fairfax Square.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:04 AM

309 posts, read 828,557 times
I would recommend contacting a realtor to look at the many condo's located off Blake Lane/Jermantown Rd which is very close to the Vienna metro

Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 PM

Thanks Claire. I found out our company is providing us with relocation services (aka realtors) so I will be sure to check into the area around the Vienna Metro. Anyone have a rough estimate of what utilities and such would run?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 PM

313 posts, read 551,730 times
Michael...

all of the prices below relates to my place in Reston, VA...bout 20 minutes or so away from Fairfax, but this should give you a baseline for your budget

I have a 1br (~735sq ft). I was around 90 dollars a month for this past winter for my electric bill (heat and electric). I kept the thermostat around 68 deg. to give you a better metric . I also pay 140 a month for Verizon FiOS (expensive tv and internet pakage, but i love me some dvr and HBO; other FiOS packages and different providers(e.g Comcast) entirely are much cheaper obviously, some around 60 combined for both services). I know you have the estate agent, but I would suggest doing some research yourself in addition because you will normally find some better deals through private individuals, especially for condos. In my opinion and experience, pay special attention to the condo availabilities because things like water and trash are usually taken care of by the condo fee (paid by the owner) and prices from individuals renting their condo compare favorably to corporate owned apartment complexes. The only downside to Reston is that it's not metro accessible yet, so I second BMW dude and suggest the Vienna area if you're gonna need to head to Washington more often than not.. It's going to be tight for a 2br near the metro with your budget, but if you're willing to put in the time looking (start with Craigslist, Google...etc), you should get something that reasonably meets all of your desired requirements..

Old 03-11-2010, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the great info. We are scheduling our own trip to get a feel for the commute and see what we are comfortable with. One last question if I may, since you have all been so helpful already (no sarcasm there at all). DO most corporate apartment complexes carry an additional fee for the community amenities?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:28 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Usually the amenities are included in the rent, since corporate apartments are a competitive business, provided the same management company runs both. For some, however, with top-notch gyms, for example, you will get a discounted fee for those amenities as part of it is built into the rent. That's only for a brand, however, that's marketed to those outside of the complex, not for a gym that caters to the residents, pool, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia