Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 AM

566 posts, read 1,556,178 times

Advertisements

I just moved to NoVa from California, and am thoroughly confused every road, ramp, and highway in NoVa. To add to the confusion, the HOV system is so different from CA. I understand that the far left lane is HOV 2+/3+ during rush hours, and that inside the beltway, all eastbound and westbound traffic during peak hours is HOV only.

However, I got super confused yesterday when driving home (to Crystal City). In the mornings, I take I-66 to Route 267 and get off at Dolly Madison Blvd/ Chain Bridge Road - it's a normal all-traffic ramp. However, in the evening when I get on the onramp on Route 267 at Dolly Madison towards Arlington, it looks like there's a big diamond on the pavement. Does that mean that the whole ramp is HOV-only, even though it is a freeway entrance into a normal lane?

In addition, on the tunnell in Rosslyn on I-66 leaving DC, why are there diamonds (HOV?) on the pavement in all lanes, even though that is a normal freeway - as I understand it, because I am reverse-commuting, the HOV restrictions on I-66 do not affect me.

If anyone can shed some light on these matters, it would be greatly appreciated. I hope that I can figure out these crazy roads soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:11 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
In Rosslyn, those diamonds are there because they mark the beginning of the HOV restrictions on 66W during evening rush hour. You can cross the Roosevelt Bridge by yourself, but if you don't take the Rosslyn/Key Bridge exit, you're violating the HOV restrictions.

Presumably the diamond in the on-ramp to 267E is to serve as yet another indicator that, "hey, there are some restrictions you should be aware of." Lots of people manage to ignore all the signs indicating that there are HOV restrictions, so VDOT probably put a diamond on the lane for those people who don't read road signs. Also, the right-most lane on 267E is for buses only, so perhaps it's for that reason.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
You're fine I made the same reverse commutes (Crystal City to Reston and back) my first year out of college, and the HOV restrictions don't apply since you're going at off hours.

It is super confusing though! Welcome to the area

Old 03-10-2010, 11:12 AM

566 posts, read 1,556,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
You're fine I made the same reverse commutes (Crystal City to Reston and back) my first year out of college, and the HOV restrictions don't apply since you're going at off hours.

It is super confusing though! Welcome to the area
Thank you to everyone who has posted!

So just to verify, when I am leaving Tysons to go back to Crystal City at night, and get on Route 267 at the Dolly Madison interchange, am I allowed to as a single driver, or do I have to use the I-66 interchange at Leesburg Pike to be compliant with the law.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:00 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
You are compliant because the HOV traffic is westbound on I-66. It's only during the morning where you would have the restriction using that entrance from Tyson's Corner.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia