U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:58 AM

509 posts, read 853,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
The rest of us are annoyed that we don't drive hybrids and have to fill out the tank every week. And no, I'm not of of those people, hardly ever commute on a freeway with an HOA lane. What if you hybrid lone drivers (is that even english?) put a dummy in the backseat? Or on the passanger's seat, like that kid did in his house in "Home Alone". It could wave at people passing your car.
I recall maybe 10 years ago or so, back when the part of I-66 inside the beltway was HOV-4 - some woman drove with 3 dummies (mannequins) in her car - dressed up in business suits and hats, for several months before she got caught! The police finally caught on to her and pulled her over of course and gave her some sort of HOV violation ticket. It was a big news item in the Washington Post at the time. May have been even more than 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 10:03 AM

509 posts, read 853,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
BTW, please forgive me for veering off topic for a second, but does anyone know on what stretch of road Harry Reid's family got into that horrible accident yesterday? Was it in Virginia? That's sucha tragic story.
It did happen somewhere in Northern Virginia - but all I can find is that it happened on a "suburban Virginia interstate" and both his wife and daughter were taken by ambulance to Inova Hospital in Falls Church. His wife's injuries sound serious - I hope she gets better soon - but thought I read she broke her neck and back - that is something that you don't recover from quickly - and may leave you paralyzed unfortunately.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:05 AM

4,687 posts, read 5,520,537 times
Alan W. Snader, 59, of Ohio -- the tractor trailer operator who rear-ended the car carrying Harry Reid's wife and daughter Thursday, has been charged with reckless driving by the Virginia State Police.

The four-vehicle took place at about 1 p.m. on I-95 in Fairfax, according to a police news release.

Lana Reid Barringer, who lives in McLean was struck by Snader's truck as she drove in her Honda Odyssey, with her mother, Landra, sitting in the passenger seat. The truck, carrying rolls of plastic, hit Barringer's van, which hit a Jeep Grand Cherokee in front, which struck a fourth car.

All involved were wearing seatbelts.

Truck driver charged in Reid crash - Glenn Thrush - POLITICO.com

Old 03-12-2010, 10:11 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,344,725 times
Quote:
BTW, please forgive me for veering off topic for a second, but does anyone know on what stretch of road Harry Reid's family got into that horrible accident yesterday? Was it in Virginia? That's sucha tragic story.
The accident occurred on 95, near the 7100 interchange.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-12-2010, 10:22 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The accident occurred on 95, near the 7100 interchange.
Thanks everyone. OK, back on topic.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:06 AM

4,687 posts, read 5,520,537 times
Of possible interest:

Toyota Hybrid Horror Hoax - Forbes.com

Investigators raise questions in Prius incident - SignOnSanDiego.com

APNewsBreak: Probe questions runaway Prius story (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100314/ap_on_bi_ge/us_runaway_prius - broken link)

Old 03-14-2010, 08:39 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
I was at the metro station station yesterday, and intrigued to see the taxis lined up at the station. 3-4 of these taxis were Prius, I had no idea they used them for taxis. Anyway, people seemed to be taking the Prius taxis as readily as they took the other taxis. Not sure if that means anything, but I found it interesting.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:37 PM

2,676 posts, read 6,239,535 times
Quote:
I was at the metro station station yesterday, and intrigued to see the taxis lined up at the station. 3-4 of these taxis were Prius, I had no idea they used them for taxis. Anyway, people seemed to be taking the Prius taxis as readily as they took the other taxis. Not sure if that means anything, but I found it interesting.
enviroCAB ::: Environmentally Sustainable Taxicab Service in Arlington, VA

I've also seen them using hybrid camrys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia