U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:59 AM

389 posts, read 1,089,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, beats me. Our house was custom built. No Chinese materials at all in this structure. Can we still call it a McMansion? Beats me (but we do, I'm one of the people who thinks it's an affectionate term.)
really, maybe it is because i worked at mcdonald's as a teenager. the term makes me want to puke

We don't have a 2-story foyer (we needed an extra room so we put a floor in and cut the space in two. Saves energy, too.). Does that mean we lost our McMansion status the moment we lost our foyer? LOL, again--beats me.
i'm so happy we don't have a 2 story family room for the sake of energy cost and conservation.
Do I have a gym in my house? Well, I have an exercise mat in front of the tv, does that count?
no, i don't think that counts. But it gets to my point. One person living in a 2 bed townhome could turn the 2nd bedroom into a gym or a media room and that would not qualify for a mcmansion. i just brought it up, because some else mentioned it.
We have lots of rooms in this house, but we don't exactly qualify under the definition of empty, unneeded space. We also have a lot of people living here, so every single room is in use. We do have a media room--we partitioned off a corner of the basement. The kids use it to practice band instruments but we also installed a projector--voila, we have a media room.

So do we officially have a McMansion? Beats me. Like I said before, any house bigger than 1500 sf seems like a McMansion to me so as far as I'm concerned it's a McMansion to me!
i think using anything more than 1500 sf is not accurate, but that is just me. i'm curious to see what others have to say

Last edited by FLgirl367; 03-13-2010 at 06:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 06:00 AM

389 posts, read 1,089,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Big house+small lot=McMansion
Thanks. A simple but helpful post. Under these terms we do not have one

Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 AM

261 posts, read 1,156,012 times
I think of them as having houses that look like this (often with little to no landscaping and any trees being very young)...
McMansion No. 1

McMansion No. 2

...in neighborhoods as jam packed as this:
McMansion sardines (http://www.treehugger.com/mcmansion-subdivision.jpg - broken link)

My guess is that they have more than the 2,500 sq ft that was described earlier -- probably more in the 3,500-4,000 range, or more.

Last edited by PaperTrail; 03-13-2010 at 07:29 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 06:31 AM

48 posts, read 139,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Big house+small lot=McMansion
+1...when an over-sized house is "squeezed" into a postage stamp sized lot. you see a lot of these in the "older" neighborhoods where the lots are small. why anyone would buy one of those is beyond me

just because a house is BIG, doesn't qualify as a McMansion. You need to consider the neighborhood and surrounding other houses. We have a very large custom home in FFX and its def not a McMansion. Once the cinema room is completed, it will be just over 11k sq feet, but it sits on almost 3 acres with circular driveway, inground pool/spa, etc. Now put our house in a ridiculously small lot next to another large house on an equally small lot, then sprinkle in some small houses on small lots and you get the McMansions

Old 03-13-2010, 06:57 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,785,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
A descriptive term used affectionately by those who can afford one and disparagingly by those who can't .
You know, even though this bit of wisdom sounds like a fortune cookie I think this may actually be the most accurate gauge. After all, McMansion is a nickname not a realtor's term. If the word makes you want to puke, VAMom, then I think you've answered your own question. You don't own one.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:59 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,785,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 935dc View Post
why anyone would buy one of those is beyond me
Obviously, they buy it because they like the house or the neighborhood. Or both. Or, because they hate doing yard work.

I'm a person who has a fairly large piece of land. Believe me, right now I understand the meaning of townhouse envy. Yards are a lot of work.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:14 AM

101 posts, read 195,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaMomatHome View Post
We've all heard the term. What qualifies as a McMansion?
A large cookie cutter house in a community where homes are identical were built up quickly.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:15 AM

48 posts, read 139,873 times
Quote:
Obviously, they buy it because they like the house or the neighborhood. Or both. Or, because they hate doing yard work.
I can buy that...i guess there is no yard because the house takes up the entire parcel of land...lol! To each their own, and that is my opinion.

I have other properties around the area, other states, and abroad, so I always look from "resale" perspective. You never want to have the most expensive house on the block, and to put in a ginormous house on say .35 acres looks silly amongst other 60-70s era houses that havent updated. At least some of those McMansions are in fabulous (re: close-in) locations, so its a choice some make.

Quote:
I'm a person who has a fairly large piece of land. Believe me, right now I understand the meaning of townhouse envy. Yards are a lot of work.
Believe me, I hate it as well, thats why i dont do it. Thank god for weekly yard/lawn service

Old 03-13-2010, 07:15 AM

101 posts, read 195,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
A descriptive term used affectionately by those who can afford one and disparagingly by those who can't .
It doesn't change the fact that the McMansion is what it is, a cookie cutter house.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:29 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,028,477 times
Every detached tract house built here in the past 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia