U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:12 PM

6,557 posts, read 10,846,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would also add parts of Lake Ridge to the list, especially around Westridge. And, parts of Manassas, off Davis Ford Road, would offer a convenient commute. You might consider looking in southern Fairfax County, around Lorton (west of I-95), South Run (neighborhood), or even Crosspointe (neighborhood), since your husband would have a reverse commute to Quantico right now, and it's not as far out for a Pentagon commute later.
Although Lake Ridge is not top on my list it does have some nice neighborhoods. Lake Ridge, because of the large number of people, seem to have more issues though most are fairly minor. Davis Ford Road has some good choices as does Prince William Parkway west of Hoadly Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 05:27 PM

664 posts, read 1,619,720 times
Hi McChick! My husband is also a Marine at Quantico.

There is no way we'd live in Leesburg--it's beautiful and I'd LOVE to live there, but the commute to Quantico would be misery!

We live in Bristow, which is a bit closer to Quantico than Dominion Valley. We love it. Dh's commute is a long distance, but he takes the 619 the whole way, so there are very few stop lights and traffic. It's a beautiful drive past sod farms, through the Prince William National Forest, etc....very peaceful and not stressful.
From the corner of Linton Hall/Sudley Manor to Triangle takes about 1/2 an hour. Unfortunately, there can be a heavy traffic back up to get in the gate--but you'd have to deal with that regardless of where you live (off base).

Another neighborhood that we LOVED, but could not afford at the time (we moved here in 2006, when prices were still pretty high) was Ashland, off the 234. It's close to the 95 and I've heard nothing but excellent things about the public schools they feed in to.

Is base housing an option for you? When we moved here they gave us a 12-18 month wait list estimate

Old 03-14-2010, 05:57 PM

664 posts, read 1,619,720 times
Oh...I forgot to mention...if your husband does end up at the Pentagon later, we also have a VRE station a few miles away. I've never taken the VRE, but have heard great things about it. A friend of mine lives in Manassas Park and her husband works at the Pentagon...he is able to ride his bicycle from their house to the VRE station, so they are a one car family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or