Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 01:27 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

I've heard some cell phone towers are built to look like giant pine trees. Others have faux architectural towers built around them. Check out this one in my neck of the woods, with sort of a bavarian clock tower look.

So.... how did your community disguise its cell phone towers? Or, did they bother to disguise them at all?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 02:11 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
The nearest on to me is not disguised. But, a family of bald eagles built their nest on it. They build huge nests of sticks and stuff...so it is an odd sight....all that wood way up there.

I can see the tower from my deck when the leaves are off the trees, and sometimes I break out the binoculars and watch the comings and goings of the eagles. I can even see the babies sticking their heads up when mama or pa gets back with dinner!

I wonder how the phone company services the stuff on the tower...because you better not mess with bald eagles!

Old 03-14-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The nearest on to me is not disguised. But, a family of bald eagles built their nest on it. They build huge nests of sticks and stuff...so it is an odd sight....all that wood way up there.
Wow, nice to read that eagles like them and use them for nesting. To my way of thinking a nest make a cell tower much more attractive, more like it's part of the environment. Maybe I'm just getting used to them, but I don't think they're all that ugly, anyway. It might look better to have one un-disguised than to have one rigged up as a faux tree. I guess I have to see what one of these faux trees looks like and see if it looks fake.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:51 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The faux trees look bad, IMO. There's one in particular that I see, though not here, in Westchester County, and it's hilarious. It's set amid other conifers, but you can tell which is the one with the plastic branches, especially since it's so much taller than the other trees. It might stand out less, if it were just left without the fake tree limbs and painted to blend with its surroundings.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-14-2010, 03:11 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Apparently we don't have enough here in Mount Vernon as the cell phone service is pretty spotty. I know there's a faux tree over on the estate as it stands out on the skyline there when I'm canoeing on the Potomac. Amazing that we're only 15 miles from the world's center of power and still experience "no network coverage" from AT&T.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:32 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
A tower on the property of a county fire station on the Parkway near the intersection with Gambrill in W. Springfield is disguised as a giant flagpole. If one looks closely, the pole looks to be over-sized for its situation, but most will never notice.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:38 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
Your tower photo got me wondering if a clock tower at a relatively new shopping center just off I-95 at Lorton Rd in Lorton might not also serve a cell transmission function. It's built on a hill across the center's parking lot and very close to I-95. I always thought it was a little out of place. I'll have to check into that to satisfy my curiosity.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Speaking of cell towers, there used to be a dead spot on I-77 in Southwest Va and they approached a bluegrass picker buddy of mine iabout leasing some of his land for it.

It's pretty lucrative...they wanted about a half acre (he owns 100+) to put up the tower and a little building at the base, and 24/7 access to it. They offered him $1300 a month! My buddy could live on that down there...without having to work.

Broke his heart when they decided his next door neighbor's land was a better spot for the tower...

Old 03-15-2010, 07:51 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
In Las Vegas they disguise them as palm trees, they will plant some real ones next to it. It is pretty funny..the middle of the freakin desert, and there is a palm tree. Of course in no time the real ones die and they have to replace them.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
In Las Vegas they disguise them as palm trees, they will plant some real ones next to it. It is pretty funny..the middle of the freakin desert, and there is a palm tree. Of course in no time the real ones die and they have to replace them.
OMG a cell phone tower disguised as a palm tree????? OMG that would be one giant mutant palm tree! (Especially if they surround it by a sea of real trees half its size.) Only in Vegas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia