U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:18 AM

509 posts, read 853,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
It shouldn't be that bad.
I commute from Fredericksburg to Rockville, MD. I get off work at 6pm and it usually takes me an hour and 15 mins to make it home.
Do you live in Fredericksburg and work in Rockville? I can't imagine being able to get to Fredericksburg in 1 hour 15 minutes from Rockville at 6 PM in the evening. If it is the other way around maybe then it is possible, but for that distance you'd have to be averaging 60 mph or so, I think. It still doesn't sound possible to me, as once you hit the Beltway I know it usually clogs up on the Maryland side, having gone that way in the evening from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:09 PM

1,430 posts, read 3,481,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
It shouldn't be that bad.
I commute from Fredericksburg to Rockville, MD. I get off work at 6pm and it usually takes me an hour and 15 mins to make it home.
How in the world do you get from Fredericksburg to Rockville in an hour and 15 minutes around 6 pm? It takes some of my co-workers that live in Rockville and Gaithersburg that long to get home from Tysons.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 PM

291 posts, read 494,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Have you looked if Faquier county? The Warrenton area is really nice, I am moving there in the fall.. Can't wait! You should go check it out and see if it may be right for you. Warrenton is about 35 min. to Reston.
I live in Bristow and it takes me 45-50 mins. with NO traffic whatsoever to drive to Reston. Warrenton is quite a bit further out then Bristow so don't count on it being 35 mins. to get to Reston unless you are able to drive 100 mph.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:08 PM

1,540 posts, read 3,989,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFan View Post
I live in Bristow and it takes me 45-50 mins. with NO traffic whatsoever to drive to Reston. Warrenton is quite a bit further out then Bristow so don't count on it being 35 mins. to get to Reston unless you are able to drive 100 mph.
I live in Herndon and drive to and from Herndon to the Gainesville Harris teeter which is about 10 miles from Warrenton and driving 5 miles over the speed limit the whole way it takes me 25-30 minutes granted on off peak times

Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 18,582,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
Do you live in Fredericksburg and work in Rockville? I can't imagine being able to get to Fredericksburg in 1 hour 15 minutes from Rockville at 6 PM in the evening. If it is the other way around maybe then it is possible, but for that distance you'd have to be averaging 60 mph or so, I think. It still doesn't sound possible to me, as once you hit the Beltway I know it usually clogs up on the Maryland side, having gone that way in the evening from time to time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
How in the world do you get from Fredericksburg to Rockville in an hour and 15 minutes around 6 pm? It takes some of my co-workers that live in Rockville and Gaithersburg that long to get home from Tysons.
You guys crack me up. I wrote "usually" so it is not like that every day. On average it takes me an hour 15 to an hour 35. Never made it home after or close to the 2 hour mark. Then I also do spirited driving by avoiding slow stupid drivers in front of me.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:44 PM

30,102 posts, read 67,199,392 times
If the time comes that I would like to settle down here and purchase a home of my own I'd likely consider the Route 7 Corridor west of Leesburg because it is more affordable, less congested, and still has a lot of "charm." I'm literally in love with Winchester (very similar to Fredericksburg in terms of character but a much nicer mountainous setting), but even with taking the Toll Road you're talking about roughly an hour's commute each way to Reston (and don't underestimate the treacherous wintry travel, especially on the mountainous stretch at the Loudoun/Clarke County lines). I like Purcellville, too, but I hate that it has a super tiny and rather unremarkable downtown for a community of its size. Berryville would be just under an hour's commute each way to Reston, and housing prices there are very reasonable.

Just also be advised that Route 7 west of Leesburg is a MAJOR speed trap. I've already been pulled over there once (68 in a 55), and I have yet to go through there once on my travels to Winchester and NOT see someone pulled over. It is different going 75 from Winchester to Reston vs. going 55 because of cops being literally all over the place. Personally I think the police should actually sit and nail speeders on RESIDENTIAL STREETS in Loudoun's small towns to encourage safety as I don't see what someone doing 68 in a 55 zone on a lonely stretch of Route 7 near Round Hill would do to cause harm, but what do I know?

I know people on this forum live in places like Gainesville, Chantilly, Haymarket, etc. and love it, but I always found the Route 7 Corridor west of Leesburg to have much more charm and character for a similar price point and similar commuting distance.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:38 PM

593 posts, read 2,243,601 times
If you're considering a 120-mile round trip commute from Fredericksburg to Reston, I think it's also worth making sure that you could afford it if gas prices went up.

Commuting 2,400 miles/month
at avg ~28 mpg
------------------
= 86 gallons of gas.

At $2.90/gal, that's about $250.00/month or $3,000/year

And if gas eventually rose back up to $5/gal, that's $430.00/month or $5,160/year.

My recommendation would be to rent for at least 6 months, and then buy a house once you've had a chance to experience living (and commuting!) in the DC Metro area firsthand. Plus, that would give you a chance to save more towards the house. Win Win

Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 AM

56 posts, read 182,556 times
Oh man, I would never want to commute from Fredericksburg. We currently live in Reston and are looking to buy. My husband works in DC (also a nasty commute obviously), but if we could, we would totally move west to Loudon County. It's beautiful and relatively affordable. If you can't afford Reston, live west of it. Most people work closer to the city, so they want to live east of Reston, which makes those places less affordable. If you are going to actually live IN Reston, take advantage of the area west of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or