Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:31 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job offer in Reston, so I should be moving to the area finally within the next few weeks or so. I want to take advantage of the housing tax credit and buy a home, but a lot of the places around Reston are out of my price range. I've been looking in Prince William and Stafford counties and Fredericksburg. I really like Fredericksburg because it nice and affordable, but worry about the long commute. I maybe able to swing it, because I would be working at night a lot going against traffic. Has anyone attempted this long commute? I know it's probably brutal during rush hour, but how is it during off peak hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:20 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times
Just be aware that even on the weekends there is traffic on the highways around here. I personally wouldn't do it...

Old 03-15-2010, 06:42 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Oh man, that sounds terrible. Horrible. Awful. Nasty. Yikes, don't do it, man.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:01 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
That's a very long commute. If you're looking at Reston, you're better off looking to the west, or southwest of Reston. It's easily 60 miles each way from Reston to Fredericksburg, and there is sometimes night construction on the highways that can snarl traffic, not to mention summer travel on the I-95 corridor.

Some places that are a bit more affordable would include Charles Town to the VA/WV line, and Charles Town is about an hour to Reston, with little chance of heavy traffic during off-peak hours. Also, adjacent areas of Frederick County, MD, for example, Brunswick, while a smaller town, offers proximity to Leesburg, VA and Frederick, MD for areas that are similar to Fredericksburg. Even Winchester, VA to Reston, while a little over an hour each way, is not going to have the same traffic risk as Fredericksburg to Reston, though the winter weather between Winchester and Reston can cause significant delays.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-15-2010, 07:45 PM

97 posts, read 321,181 times
No amount of money is worth that commute. If you really want to live a bit out there, look toward Loudoun County, not Spotsylvania. The toll road will at least make life bearable with that commute.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:06 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmonkey View Post
No amount of money is worth that commute. If you really want to live a bit out there, look toward Loudoun County, not Spotsylvania. The toll road will at least make life bearable with that commute.
Have you looked if Faquier county? The Warrenton area is really nice, I am moving there in the fall.. Can't wait! You should go check it out and see if it may be right for you. Warrenton is about 35 min. to Reston.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times
Thanks all for advice. I figured it be a rough commute judging from Google maps either way. I thought about Charles Town, but the retail isn't there like with Fredericksburg and driving through the mountains during the winter months might be an issue. Fauqier County and Winchester might be worth checking out. Loudoun seems to be kind of on the expensive side, so I think I may just stick with Prince William County.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:17 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Prince William is not a bad commute, overall, to Reston, especially off-hours. Manassas and Gainesville are an easier commute to Reston than Lake Ridge or Montclair because you don't have to depend on I-95. You can take 123 from eastern PWC (Occoquan/Lake Ridge) and come through Fairfax, which will allow you to avoid I-95 on bad days, but just factor a bit more time once you get into the Fairfax-Oakton area because of the traffic lights and lower speed limits.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-17-2010, 05:43 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times
It shouldn't be that bad.
I commute from Fredericksburg to Rockville, MD. I get off work at 6pm and it usually takes me an hour and 15 mins to make it home.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:16 AM

509 posts, read 974,619 times
I commute from Gainesville to Reston and it isn't that bad if I do it on the edges of the weekday commuting times. But that means I leave the house around 5:50 AM and I get into work at 6:30 AM, then try to leave work no later than 4 PM.

I personally wouldn't want to even think about or attempt to commute to Reston from Fredericksburg! That's way way too far! It would just be awful no matter what time of the day.

Someone mentioned Faquier County and Warrenton - that might not be a bad option for you and is similar in ways to Fredericksburg. It will however maybe be as much as an hour commute depending on exactly where in Faquier County you are coming from.

Some other posters mentioned some other options, all of which sound much better than Fredericksburg. That is a nice place, but is living there worth the awful commute? I think not, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia