Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 PM

101 posts, read 219,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNY View Post
Yes, you are so correct. My son had 2 tests and one he scored 90% and other same test 50%.

He has been a high performing kid all since pre-school. I am sure there was a mistake in the test or something that caused two score 40% apart.
HUH?

Did your son take a different test from everyone else who did score higher??

Quote:
Second, When a kid is giving challenged with work, there brain learns to deal with that kind of problems. When you don't challenge kids they will be lazy and not perform well and any work they do in school or out of the school. That's what I believe.
Actually, some of the laziest kids around are also the brightest.

GT may be less about who's the hardest working and more about which kids are naturally gifted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 05:36 PM

696 posts, read 1,689,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Wow. This is actually a sad thread. I have five kids. One has always been in the gifted program. She started college in the eight grade...she is highly gifted. The other four are gifted in their own "unique" ways, but not academically.

I didn't do ANYTHING at all to "get her into a program". And I wouldn't have. Gifted kids get into the programs because they are gifted. And if they don't test well, and don't get into a program, they find a way to thrive in a regular classroom, provided they have a decent teacher and parental support and encouragement.

This is one thing that I loathe about this area of the country. I have never lived anywhere where parents push their kids like they do up here. It's the 2nd grade! Colleges won't be looking at the transcript. If your kid gets into a gifted program, great! It still doesn't mean she'll be a brain surgeon. I know lots of really dumb kids that tested into the program. And I know lots of supposedly average kids in high school who go on to Harvard or Yale.

My daughter has taken tons of those tests because we move every few years. She always scored at the top and always gotten into the gifted programs. I couldn't tell you the name of the test or the score....or even the day she took it. I don't care. The teachers that teach the gifted classes are just regular teachers. And the kids in the gifted program range from very intelligent to "how in the world do you remember to breathe", dumb.

Let it go and let your kid be a kid. Just my humble opinion. But I do have five kids....one in college, three in high school and one in elementary. I've been doing this for a long time.
What a FANTASTIC post! I couldn't have said it any better. Apparently I gave you rep points recently because it won't let me give you anymore.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:43 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,413,009 times
Quote:
Thank your for your reply. I am not sure though, if its too late for the requesting for GT placement. He started school in DEC and so I just got the score today. I still don't have the office result in the mail.

Is it OK to talk to teacher tomorrow about this? Do you talk to principle to ask if they can test CogAT again.. as its not possible for him to score only 51% on it and 90% on the other. I am sure there is is some misunderstanding in the reading/writing of score ? Is Cogat test given only once in Elementary school ?
Perhaps this is in the links you've been given, but there are specific test windows in FCPS for each of these tests. Those windows are closed for this year. The primary window is in the fall. There is another window for "make up" ones, meaning for students who have moved into the district after the fall window. That window is not to be used for "getting another score". Parents can request a one time "redo" between grades 3 - 6, but it's only one of the tests, and usually the CogAt unless there is an ESL issue. It's also the better one as it gives more information. Please remember the numbers you're giving, 90 and 50, are percentiles, meaning 50 %tile is absolutely average. As for the difference, they are two different tests, maybe measuring non-verbal, but given at different times and the method of administration is different. It can happen.

Always, always, talk to the teacher and also the AA teacher for your child's school. They can get specific which can't happen here. The posts already here have been excellent to give a perspective on this.

Also, don't forget to look at the long range picture, anyone can take honors and AP/IB courses in high school. In fact, it appears this year the honors program is more open at the middle school as well. Yes, they should be challenged, but appropriately and for what the child needs.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,146,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Well, the reason that the gifted assessment process is not based SOLELY on test scores is...
....pushy parents.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 PM

132 posts, read 323,075 times
Quote:
Hello,

My son just received Naglieri scores 121 - 90% percentile

CogAT -

verbal 115 - 78%
quantitative - 121 - 89%
non verbal 103 - 51%

did he make in GT classes ?

Why is non verbal scores are so different in two tests?
Quite frankly, your son's score is kind of average for Fairfax county students. If I were you I would not push him to a GT program now. He may not be ready yet as some boys are late boomers. You could always try a retest later on between 4th and 6th grade. In Fairfax, you wil need to score at minimum 97% to get in GT.

It's not the end of the world if your son doesn't get into GT. Some GT programs are overated. They teach almost the same material as regular classes. It's really not that big of a deal.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,146,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novajs View Post
Quite frankly, your son's score is kind of average for Fairfax county students. If I were you I would not push him to a GT program now. He may not be ready yet as some boys are late boomers. You could always try a retest later on between 4th and 6th grade. In Fairfax, you wil need to score at minimum 97% to get in GT.

It's not the end of the world if your son doesn't get into GT. Some GT programs are overated. They teach almost the same material as regular classes. It's really not that big of a deal.
But he'd be hanging out with a much better class of friends. Somewhat of an obsession of parents around here.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:11 PM

154 posts, read 372,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Gifted kids get into the programs because they are gifted. And if they don't test well, and don't get into a program, they find a way to thrive in a regular classroom, provided they have a decent teacher and parental support and encouragement.

Let it go and let your kid be a kid.
Well said. I couldn't agree more. Our first kid we chose NOT to send to a GT Center. Reasons too complicated for short post. If you are an involved parent - and it's would seem like the OP is - then there really isn't a good reason a student should not excel in any FCPS school.

Our second kid is in a GT Center this year and it’s been interesting. One way of putting it is she is now a little fish in a big pond while our first child was a big fish in a little pond. There’s something to be argued for both situations. But the first we even thought about GT center for either one was when the letter showed up as an option.

That being said, the quality of the students (and parents) of GT kids is significantly different than that of a regular classroom. And if one is in a marginal (allegedly) school I could see how that would provide some incentive for parents to push GT.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 AM

10 posts, read 45,984 times
Hi,
My daughter recieved score of 121 for Naglieri test which is 90 percentile.
And her CogAt score is in 99 percentile. She got into the GT pool but I don't think her teacher has any high regard about her abilities. Judging from the first parent-teacher conference.
Would the committee decision based on the teacher's recommendation.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:55 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,567,232 times
I didn't read all the replies, but just want to make sure someone points out that the majority of kids at the GT centers are not placed there based on teacher recommendation, but rather on parent placement. The process of parental placement is somewhat complicated and involves a lot of paperwork, but determined parents can get their kids into GT centers at least by 3rd grade.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM

10 posts, read 45,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Well, the reason that the gifted assessment process is not based SOLELY on test scores is that some highly gifted students simply don't get top scores on such tests. The classroom teacher is usually in the best position to advise parents whether their child is one of those students, and his/her advice should be carefully considered. There's nothing wrong with asking for the referral, so long as the child is kept out of the loop and won't think he is a failure if he is ultimately not accepted into the program. As mm pointed out, it certainly won't be determinative of his academic and career success in the future.
What if we have a teacher who prejudge the kids based on his or her lack of observation. Like if your kid is quite, obedient and polite, to the certain teacher it means nice but not so bright kid( even though she've scored 100 percent in nearly every tests).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia