U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:54 PM

28 posts, read 84,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Flowergirl7, that fee is probably just something they impose when they think market allows it, rather than changing the rental rates, which may tick off current tenants (e.g., when conditions are softer, current tenants may demand lower rents offered to new tenants). They just made up the name. You may be able to negotiate it away.
Negotiate it? Hmm..there's a thought. It's really annoying because they impose several hundred dollars on a fee which is no doubt already jacked up and then they say they're offering a promotion if you apply or lease within so many hours of your first visit etc etc. So I feel like they're not going to budge on it since hey they're already giving me a "deal" or they just don't have the "authority" to waive it. Hmph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 09:24 PM

182 posts, read 475,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl7 View Post
Agreed. I'm not the kind of person who goes out at all hours to party or anything but I do enjoy the convenience of having drug stores, supermarkets, bookstores, etc etc. nearby. Have you lived at The Wellington or know someone who does?
I'm moving to the Wellington in two weeks =) But I've been visiting friends who have lived there for the past year. They really like living there and I liked the way the rooms were set up, and how 2 of the 3 buildings are on a quiet dead-end street. So you can still be in a busy neighborhood but also have your peace and quiet at night.

As for the move in fees, yes, you can negotiate them down or even get rid of them all together. You could say something like "my friend recently got X deal at Y building" It's still a pretty competitive rental market...there are deals to be found!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Ok I'm switching gears.. after careful consideration, I'd rather live in a really secure building. The kind where a concierge buzzes in all visitors at the front entrance. I'm looking at more high rises now. Newer properties & newly renovated units are preferable. I understand this means my budget will be stretched but I'd rather be happy than miserable where I'm living. Short/decent commute to Old Town is still a requirement, though. Any recommendations?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:31 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,554,769 times
There are plenty of high rises in Crystal/Pentagon City that do the buzzing in, but you'll pay a lot, especially since you'll be walking distance to the metro then.

Figure out how strict you want the gate guards to be. When my husband and I were dating, he lived in an apartment that technically required all guests to sign in--but I always just tail-gated in behind someone, and once I was in it was fine, so the security was a bit of a misnomer.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:10 PM

206 posts, read 380,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl7 View Post
Ok I'm switching gears.. after careful consideration, I'd rather live in a really secure building. The kind where a concierge buzzes in all visitors at the front entrance. I'm looking at more high rises now. Newer properties & newly renovated units are preferable. I understand this means my budget will be stretched but I'd rather be happy than miserable where I'm living. Short/decent commute to Old Town is still a requirement, though. Any recommendations?
I live in a place called Alexan Carlyle in the Carlyle area. It's pretty close to Old Town. It is brand new, very nice, and pretty expensive. It's worth it for me because I can walk to work from here, so it saves me at least $150 or so a month and a lot of miserable commuting. I pay $1569/mo for a one bedroom (that includes the BS parking and valet trash fees).

It's not a high-rise, but it does have a concierge from I think 7am-11pm, controlled access, and interior hallways so it's high-rise "style".

Old 03-22-2010, 02:26 PM

519 posts, read 810,423 times
I would highly suggest the Huntington Gateway apartments. They have several 1-bedroom models under $1400.

I suggest it because that's where I live now, and I love it! It would be a really short commute for you into Old Town, and you'd have several options on how to get there, including car (10 min?), walking (this would take maybe 40 min, but if it's a nice day it's an option), and the metro which is a 10 min walk away. The complex provides a free shuttle bus to and from the metro during rush hour which can be really helpful during those rainy days like today.

The apartments have lots of windows and nice views - I can look out across the Potomac and see National Harbor from my bedroom. They are all newish, spacious, in good shape, and maintenance is done extremely fast and well. The staff is all very helpful and there's 24 hour security at the front desk, but they don't get in the way of life, they just help you out. Everyone living here has been very nice and upstanding. They help each other out, say hello, hold doors for you, etc. There's no one even remotely sketchy.

It also comes with tons of amenities. Included in your rent is a spot in an underground, card-access only parking garage (building is card-access only too), a good 24-hour gym (important to me), racquetball court, indoor/outdoor swimming pool that's open year round, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, 2 tennis courts, and a nice little outdoor lounging / grilling area.

The biggest negatives IMO are:
If you absolutely have to have an easily walkable shopping / community neighborhood this probably isn't it. Though, as I mentioned, there's lots of things to do within the apartment community itself. There's a really good pizza place and an OK "healthy" Thai place basically right beneath the apartment. You can also get to almost anything, including several metro stations, Old Town, Belle View shopping center, parks, softball, the river, National Harbor, restaurants and shopping on Rt 1., a movie theater with IMAX, the huge Beatley Library, and other parts of Duke St. (mmm... Rocklands...) and King St. between 395 and Old Town in a car ride of about 10 minutes or less. There's also plenty of metro buses that will take you all over the area.

The Huntington area is more up-and-coming. Meaning it's safe, but it's not as nice and clean as the nicer parts of Old Town (but then you're not paying for that are you?). The apartments are nice, as are the apartment / condo and townhouse communities bordering it, but there is a short stretch along Huntington Ave between here and the metro that is a little sketchy. I've never seen or heard of anything bad happening there, and I make the walk all the time in both daylight and night without feeling unsafe, but I could easily see how a female wouldn't want to do that at night. Still, you can always drive, take the bus, or take the free shuttle bus, so it's not really a big deal.

Getting into DC proper isn't always as quick as one would like. It's on the end of the yellow, so Gallery Place / Chinatown / Verizon Center is very quick and easy to get to (good for concerts and Caps games), but other areas of the city require a transfer.

The cable doesn't seem to be wired very well... Sometimes it can cut out on certain HD channels like Discovery and BBCA. Most of the major ones are fine though, and non-HD never has a problem.

Anyway, like I said, I highly suggest checking it out. The location is convenient, and the rooms, service, and amenities are incredible. It's probably the best bang for your buck in the DC "metro walkable" area, at least that I've found. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to give you a realistic tour, etc. If you decide to take it, use me as a reference and I'll split the bonus check with you

Old 03-22-2010, 02:37 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,043,285 times
wsamon, thanks for that description of Huntington Gateway! I was under the impression that it was over $1400 so I received a little education there.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:58 PM

519 posts, read 810,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
wsamon, thanks for that description of Huntington Gateway! I was under the impression that it was over $1400 so I received a little education there.
I was never in the market for a 1-bed so I can't absolutely confirm, but I got my info from ForRent. The 1-beds start as low as $1285 supposedly. I'm pretty sure that they're doing the fairly typical 1 month free thing as well.

Warren

Old 03-22-2010, 03:59 PM

3,156 posts, read 8,095,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I checked it out when I was last apartment hunting a couple of years ago. The cheapest price they give (I guess $1285 now) is for 1st floor only. There's only two apartments in the whole complex with that floor plan at that price and they're not usually available. Going up a few floors in the building, rents go up pretty fast. Another negative is that the cheapest 1 bedroom only has 1 small closet in the bedroom.

I did like the place overall though. The grounds and buildings were very well-kept and it's ridiculously convenient for getting to Old Town. It's definitely worth a look, but don't count on necessarily getting the cheapest price on the web site.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:40 PM

Hm..to be honest I had eliminated the Huntington area from my search given safety concerns. What exactly is surrounding this complex other than the highway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or