U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:19 PM

9 posts, read 195,632 times

Advertisements

Hey All!!

I will be starting a job in Manassas (Godwin Drive) in September and have a few questions about the city. I've visited apartmentratings.com, however I do not trust it too much since I know that usually they have staff post the nice messages about the complex.

I was wondering if I could get some opinion's on the safety of Manassas in general, where are the rougher spots (I've heard South Georgetown can be a bit bad in areas), mainly the area's near Masons Keepe at 9000 Landings Drive and Carlyle Station at 10519 Lariat Ln. Also, if anyone has any input on these apartments or any others, I would appreciate it.

I am coming from a city on the outskirts of Detroit, Michigan, so safety is one of my top priority. I've looked into a few other cities such as Centreville and Chantilly and they both seem nice. Ideally, I would like to spend between $1100 and $1300 for rent for a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment.

Amenities that are important to me are: small dogs allowed, a/c, washer/dryer in unit, and a balcony.

As for a commute, around 30 minutes (including traffic) would be tolerable if there are nicer areas around the same price. For the type of neighborhood environment, I would prefer a to live in or near a city that is close to grocery stores, restaurants, etc, but more importantly, a place were I would feel safe walking to my car, down the street at night, the store, riding a bike, etc.

I will be coming out to the area for a visit in early to mid August, so I am trying to create a list of key places I want to look at before I decide.

Lastly, could someone give an estimated percentage on how much money is taken out for taxes for a single person in Virginia?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Kevin

PS I tried to follow SmerkyGrl's READ if you are asking about where to live in VA thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 AM

35 posts, read 151,589 times
Centreville wouldn't be to bad as far as the drive, I'm not sure about safety. I lived in Chatsworth (right next to Ravens Crest) in Manassas about 3 years ago and it was a very safe complex (as was Ravens Crest) at the time. The only compaint I have about Chatsworth is management and maintenance. NOTHING ever got done. Our front door ringer cleared itself out (a glass door that rang to your phone) about a month after moving in and after several complaints they FINALLY fixed it two weeks before we moved out, we lived there for 18 months, so we never knew if we had someone to see us at the front door. No other issue we ever report got worked on the entire time we were there, and they didn't send anyone to clear the snow until 3 days after it fell, the residents had to dig themselves out of the 15" snow drifts in the parking lot. For the amount of money charged the place was a ripoff.

I wouldn't go to Chantilly because your drive would routinely be over 30 minutes thanks to traffic. I would suggest trying Woodbridge. If you look in the right areas you can find nice places and the area is very built up with lots of shopping, etc. You could also try to find a private rental through the paper.

Don't be too quick to dismiss the apartmentratings.com web site. I don't know what makes you think their staff writes reviews, but I know for a fact they don't write all of them because my 6/16/04 review of Chatsworth Park titled "Horrible Staff" is still in the system.

PS - Good luck with your job. I would lay money I know where you will be working!

Old 06-05-2007, 08:13 AM

260 posts, read 1,544,173 times
VA has a tax bracket system like federal takes do, but there are only 3 brackets. You'll probably be in the 5.75% bracket. I'm not sure what the formula for withholding is, but VA withholding on my paycheck is around 5.2%.

More info: Virginia Department of Taxation

Old 06-05-2007, 04:05 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,337,940 times
Definitely avoid Georgetown South.

I would recommend Centreville. With your price range, you should have quite a large selection of new one bedrooms, the majority of which will have a balcony. Check out the apartment complexes on this list in Centreville (and Manassas as well) that are pet-friendly:

Pet Lover's Companion - Apartments - Pet Friendly

To my knowledge, all of the apartment complexes in Centreville are fine. Most of the few iffier parts of Centreville tend to be townhouse communities, and even those few tend to not be so bad, just a bit worn for wear. I used to live right by Lakeside Apartments. I never went inside any of them and don't know anyone who lived there but they seemed perfectly decent to me and were within walking distance (although everyone drove) to several large grocery stores, restaurants, a movie theatre, several banks and other stores (all located in large strip malls...there is no real downtown in Centreville).

Manassas has plenty of nice apartments as well. I would say though that there's a higher likelihood if blindly choosing a complex, of picking a bad one in Manassas than there is in Centreville, so just research whatever complexes you're looking at and of course when you come to visit, you can see firsthand. Manassas is also several miles/minutes further from DC, if that's a positive or negative for you.

I also have to concur that Chantilly should be nixed for commuting purposes. Thirty minutes would be doable in non-rush hour traffic, but not during rush hour usually.

Tax-wise, I'm a single male and when you add up everything (Social Security, etc.), my net income is about 80% of my gross income.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:28 PM

9 posts, read 195,632 times
Thank you everyone for your input! I really appreciate it!! I found what appears to be a nice apartment named Elms at Centreville on Braddock Springs Road, any comments on this place or area?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Old 06-17-2008, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 12,010 times
Cool Manassas is ok

I have lived @ Carlyle Station apts for the past 2 years. Its okay. Has all the amenities you mentioned (washer/dryer in apt, balcony etc). Our apt. is HUGE. Over 1100 sqft. Has a nice fireplace and big kitchen. The apt is good, parking is fine (except you need guest passes for visitors which was only a problem when we had a new year's party last year and ran out of passes and parking spaces). I feel very safe here. My neighbors are nice and speak to each other. I have not experienced any crime the whole time we lived here, thank God. My apt backs to the woods which has been lovely-very quiet and pretty. We had ants in the living room the first summer we lived here-big deal. Maintenance came and did their thing and they were gone.

Some ppl love the fact that we are near so many stores (along Sudley rd.). There arent any sidewalks though so walking is near impossible to do safely.

The downside to living here is the commute. Sudley road is nonstop lights and people driving 70 mph up and down and crowded and just a hassle to go even a few blocks to the grocery store. Godwin Dr. would be like a 15 minute drive from here, when it should be 5 minutes. I have to take I-66 (the major highway leading in/out of Manassas to DC) to commute to work and it is pure hell. I have lived all over the country, even California; nothing compares to the foolishness that is I-66. We are moving closer to DC this summer mainly because of the commute and better schools in Fairfax County.

Best of luck to you!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 PM

8,108 posts, read 12,635,124 times
[quote=Grblpwr;831151]Centreville wouldn't be to bad as far as the drive, I'm not sure about safety.

I wouldn't go to Chantilly because your drive would routinely be over 30 minutes thanks to traffic. I would suggest trying Woodbridge. If you look in the right areas you can find nice places and the area is very built up with lots of shopping, etc. You could also try to find a private rental through the paper.

Don't be too quick to dismiss the apartmentratings.com web site. I don't know what makes you think their staff writes reviews, but I know for a fact they don't write all of them because my 6/16/04 review of Chatsworth Park titled "Horrible Staff" is still in the system.

quote]

I was also thinking that the Westridge/County Center area of Woodbridge might not be bad. You could shoot right up the Prince William Parkway to work in less than 30 min.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 PM

21 posts, read 71,005 times
Which employer are you working for? There are 2 major ones on Godwin...I work there too And I used to live at Chatworth village - that place is bad...I can't wait to move out of there.

Anyway, I now live close to Chantilly and the traffic is not that bad if you know the back roads. If I'm single, I'll stay in Manassas though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or