Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:17 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

I give you a lot of credit for coming back. I'm glad that you've dedicated yourself in being a better person who is stronger.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,615 times
Welcome back as well. I have a lot of experience with what you are going through, after having intervened on multiple suicide attemps of a close family member and still helping this family member find some sort of balance and peace. Just remember you will still have your highs and lows. Take each day for what it is and be patient and kind to yourself. Learn to love yourself again. Glad to hear you feel renewed and are in a better place. :-)

Old 03-19-2010, 10:45 AM

84 posts, read 287,791 times
Welcome back..

Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM

593 posts, read 2,439,585 times
I must say, your energy certainly makes a difference in this forum, and I surely missed it! Great to have you back!

Also, I'm still planning an Arlington photo tour inspired by your earlier series of photo tours in NoVA--I've been putting it off due to snow, but I don't have that excuse anymore! Look for it w/in the next week or two

Old 03-19-2010, 11:30 AM

257 posts, read 565,755 times
RR,

Welcome back.

First, I agree with the poster who said, "I might not agree with you very often, but you are articulate..." and for that you are always a worthy adversary in a discussion/debate.

Whatever happened to Pittsburgh? For as much as I thought your rose colored glasses for that place were a bit too rosy, I also felt that at your income level, living here kinda sucks. I recall that you might be getting a substantial raise this year? That should help alleviate the feeling of "going nowhere" and hopefully lean towards feeling like you're "getting somewhere."

Old 03-19-2010, 12:47 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,600,699 times
Welcome back. I was thinking of you the other day and hoped you were merely absent and hadn't done further harm to yourself. Glad to hear you're improved and improving.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:24 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,580 times
Glad to *see* you are back. I've been curious as to your whereabouts and am glad to hear that you are okay.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:49 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,200 times
SB/RR, I'm truly glad to see that you're back and genuinely happy to know that you are recuperating and feeling better and happier about your life. You have a lot going for you, including many talents. Please keep up with the counseling (including medication, if necessary) as often and as long as necessary so that you can enjoy life, as you deserve to. Welcome back!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:56 PM

845 posts, read 2,327,104 times
good luck with your re-education.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Best of luck to you. I'm glad you have found some help, keep at it, it's a long road, but life is short and beautiful. You need to be around to enjoy it.
Thank you. Today I took a therapeutic drive through NoVA's "Hunt Country" (Middleburg Area) for the first time. I then veered up a side street off of Route 50 through Millwood and Boyce and then took U.S. 340 up to Berryville where I caught 7 back down to Reston. Seeing the trees so near to getting their buds made me realize how close I came to never getting to see a sight like the first Spring blooms ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I agree welcome back and hope your outlook in life is improved.

I think we're around the same age and I've found that you can't control much in life except how you react to things. Placing blame on external forces is counterproductive. If there is an obstacle in your way then improvise, adapt and overcome.

Go forth and kick arse...
Thanks! My therapist pretty much told me to stop letting people walk all over me, and that's exactly the new persona I've adopted. I may have never pulled back from going toe-to-toe with people on this forum, but in real life I hated to have an enemy and always went to the greatest extent possible to make someone laugh and to turn a frown upside-down! She has taught me to be more selective about whom I keep company with so that I never again have to endure the vile things that some "friends" did to me back in January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Welcome back
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Welcome back, and I'm glad you are feeling better. It's good that you are feeling so positive, but try not to have unrealistic expectations. When you make a major change in life, it's a long process to convince people that you have changed.

I'm not trying to discourage you, the reason I'm saying this is I've made my share of paradigm shifts in my life, and you can get frustrated if you expect everyone around you to immediately treat you differently just because you announce that you've changed. Life just doesn't work that way, but know that we are rooting for you and time and patience are the solution. If you've truly changed, just be your new self and know that in time people will see that it's for real.

Also, give yourself plenty of breaks. If you find yourself reacting to people on this forum, take a long break. It's beautiful outside, so why not take lots of long walks and enjoy the outdoors?
Thanks, Caladium. I know this is for "real" this time though. I'm genuinely happy. As I stated above today I took a therapeutic drive through Hunt Country. Tomorrow morning I'm doing a 5K run in Brambleton, potentially followed by reconnecting with a friend and taking him out to explore the District. Sunday I'm going to donate blood, go to church, and then go to a new members' "meet and greet" sort of affair afterwards at the home of a fellow congregant. Then Sunday night is my awesome television line-up---The Simpsons, Cleveland Show, Desperate Housewives, and Brothers & Sisters!

I don't expect anyone to rush to rally to my side. I know trust and respect need to be earned. I just hope people don't automatically assume I'm going to be some big jerk and not even give me a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
Welcome back! I am glad you've found some peace in your life. Although often I didn't agree with your point of view, it was a pleasure to read a posting by someone who knew how to spell, had a good vocabulary, and could compose a sentence.

Don't let this forum become an obsession again, it will consume so much of your time that could be better spent in other activities.
Now that the weather is improving, Margery, I've pledged to spend less time indoors in general. Yesterday evening I enjoyed a wonderful hike along the Difficult Run Trail in Great Falls. Today I took that country drive. Tomorrow I am doing a 5K run followed by exploring the District. Sunday will be spent connecting with people from my church. I already have a volunteer opportunity lined up for next weekend. Life is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
Welcome back. I am glad you are doing okay..
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia