Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:31 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,933,217 times

Advertisements

I'm sickened to hear that we had an incident of road rage the other day. Geez, what is wrong with people? No matter how angry those fools got over traffic, their over reactions to each other just made their situations A LOT worse. They could have simply had a bad day, now they will have a bad life.

I hope this is an isolated incident, not a trend. I'd love to know a little bit more about the people involved. Did they recently move here from more violent cities? Did they bring bad habits and attitudes with them? Or is this being brought on by all the politicians and talk show celebrities who have been trying to whip up rage, encouraging violence as a way to deal with anger?

Whatever's behind it, I want this to stop, and that begins with not glorifying violence as a way to deal with life's frustrations. I hope they nip this in the bud and throw the book at anyone who indulges in road rage. I saw more than enough of it in California and am absolutely sick to see an incident like this here in VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 06:47 AM

437 posts, read 1,228,537 times
Unfortunately, this stuff happens every day. It just usually doesn't involve some knucklehead with a dump truck and a knucklehead with firearm. If it is just two guys in an Acura and a Chevy who sideswipe each other after some perceived slight, we never hear about it, they just get cited by the police and/or go to court.

Hopefully this case will allow others to pause and think before escalating these conflicts in the future, you never know what the person in the other vehicle is capable of or how irrational they are.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornindc View Post
Unfortunately, this stuff happens every day. It just usually doesn't involve some knucklehead with a dump truck and a knucklehead with firearm. If it is just two guys in an Acura and a Chevy who sideswipe each other after some perceived slight, we never hear about it, they just get cited by the police and/or go to court.
True enough, there's road rage and then there's road rage. Rage that involves people yelling or giving the finger, etc. isn't that unusual (although, to be honest, I haven't encountered that much of it here. Maybe because I don't drive 95 in Woodbridge that often?) That level of rage is unfortunate and childish, but just one of those things I tend to shrug off as part of living in the world today. But this other variety of road rage is much more serious. Not to say it's never happened, but VA drivers always seemed so much saner than LA drivers to me. Aggressive, yes, but not that prone to violence of this level. Oh well, guess times could be changing... for the worse.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:04 AM

4,435 posts, read 8,121,316 times
Yup I saw the news story and it's not too far from where I live. In case you're not familiar with the news story, here it is: Police: Road rage drivers tried to kill each other - wtop.com

Both guys seem to be idiots and luckily the shooter lacked gun control and didn't hurt/kill anyone.

When I first started driving around here I took the stupidity of drivers personally. Years later, it really doesn't bother anymore as I've built up a tolerance.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,444,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Both guys seem to be idiots and luckily the shooter lacked gun control and didn't hurt/kill anyone.
That's not the only kind of control he lacked.

When my kids were learning to drive, and I'd take them out on the road for some practice, I told them that no matter where they lived and how much or how little they drove, there would be people on the road who would do some strange and dangerous things. And I told them that they MUST control their temper, and not react, because the other driver might have a gun.

In essence, let the crazies drive on, and kill some other poor soul.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
True enough, there's road rage and then there's road rage. Rage that involves people yelling or giving the finger, etc. isn't that unusual (although, to be honest, I haven't encountered that much of it here. Maybe because I don't drive 95 in Woodbridge that often?) That level of rage is unfortunate and childish, but just one of those things I tend to shrug off as part of living in the world today. But this other variety of road rage is much more serious. Not to say it's never happened, but VA drivers always seemed so much saner than LA drivers to me. Aggressive, yes, but not that prone to violence of this level. Oh well, guess times could be changing... for the worse.
I don't know for sure since I'm not up in Loudoun very often...but I'm guessing that 7 and 267 isn't quite as tense as 95 and 66. But considering that my lady and I once got cut off by two "drag racers" as we approached an exit near LAX I'm not surprised that you've seen worse.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I don't know for sure since I'm not up in Loudoun very often...but I'm guessing that 7 and 267 isn't quite as tense as 95 and 66.
Hmmm, you might be right. 7 gets backed up atrociously, but that's about it. People yell sometimes, but then they get over it. I've never had problems on 66, but I have seen a few people on 95 who seem overly tense. So far, I haven't seen anything like this, though. Hope it's an isolated incident, not a trend.

No good comes from reacting in rage, you only make your day so much worse. I wish we could get that message out.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,473 times
I find drivers in NoVA to be much more aggressive than drivers back here in CA. Everytime I go to NoVA it takes some adjusting to that. Things I encounter in NoVA that I rarely do here is people that are very desperate to get ahead they are changing lanes all the time. People that tailgate you when you're already going 19mph over the speed limit (and trying to avoid some cop ticketing you with a reckless driving ticket). People that drive the speed limit on the left lane and refuse to move over.

Note these are all examples on the FFX Co. Parkway.

And to hell with me if I even suggest that what they are doing is wrong by refusing to get out of the way of the speeding cars (usually I won't if I would have to significantly slow down to move over to the other lane), if I flash my headlights to suggest a car move over the to the right lane, that just makes them more unwilling to do so (I guess I'm the only idiot who thinks it is not quite right to pass on the right).

I remember someone giving me the finger because when we were turning left there were two left turn lanes, and clearly this guy was in the wrong lane (he was on the left left turn lane, and wanted to turn right right after the turn) I honked the horn when he started to enter my lane, (clearly stupid me thinking that was an honest mistake and warning him), the guy then gave me the finger.

People in NoVA seem to show no courtesy to other drivers, and sometimes treat it like it is a competitive sport. I guess people in NoVA lose face if they change lanes to let others cars pass, or if they don't get to go 70+ on the parkway. Here in the Bay Area people will let you pass if they know you want to go faster than them (provided there are at least 2 lanes each way). There are jerk drivers here too, but I have encountered them much less often than when I drive in NoVA, and I travel to NoVA often.

Having said that, I have never seen any violence due to aggressive driving in any place. But I can certainly see how if someone is already wound up that this sort of behavior would cause them to engage the other driver. Most of the time it is best to steer clear of these jerks and crazy people.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:22 PM

309 posts, read 828,175 times
Combine road rage with VA's lax gun laws.......

Old 03-25-2010, 02:49 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I don't know for sure since I'm not up in Loudoun very often...but I'm guessing that 7 and 267 isn't quite as tense as 95 and 66. But considering that my lady and I once got cut off by two "drag racers" as we approached an exit near LAX I'm not surprised that you've seen worse.
I know exactly the spot that this incident occurred. It is where Rt. 1 traveling south merges onto I-95. So if you are driving south on Rt. 1 in Lorton and you want to get on I-95 South you must exit up onto this big ramp that swoops you over I-95 and down onto the main lanes (right at the Occoquan exit). That area is usually at a crawl during rush hour and the people coming off of Rt. 1 are at the mercy of the people in the right lane of 95 to let them over. It's usually an okay merge but every once in awhile you get jerk who won't let you merge. My guess is the dump truck was trying to merge, the sportscar driving was having none of it and that got into a fight about it. Stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia