Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 21,490 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

First, i would like to thank everyone for helping me out with all my previous posts. Today, I need more help from you guys.

I have this space beside my fireplace where i could put book shelves/cabinets. Any ideas where i could start looking for them ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM

241 posts, read 987,241 times
You could get them custom-made or just measure the space and get those nice ladder style book-cases/shelves sold at all furniture stores, I saw some nice ones on the Target website. ladder shelf : Target Search Results

Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Built-ins or free-standing? I don't think you're going to get the former over-the-counter. Going custom can start to get expensive, but one place that's pretty well known is Contemporary Woodcrafts in Chantilly. Might be a good place to look around, get some ideas, see what's in the affordable ballpark...

Old 05-05-2009, 06:49 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
We had beautiful built-ins made from cherry to flank the fireplace in our family room. They're not cheap but the end result is amazing. Walmer Enterprises in Alexandria did such a good job that we have called them again for additional work. When planning the project, they were not only the lowest priced of the three companies considered ($10K vs. $14K vs. $16.5K) but had the best quality product when we looked at reference projects from each.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 23,276 times
Default Go for Custom Cabinets

I would go for custom cabinetry or built-ins if you have dead space not utilized. This will increase the value of your property. We used Glenn Alan Woodworking for our office cabinetry and we were so pleased!

Glenn Alan Woodworking- Northern Virginia Custom Cabinets Bookcases Built-ins

Old 10-12-2009, 05:19 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
We had beautiful built-ins made from cherry to flank the fireplace in our family room. They're not cheap but the end result is amazing. Walmer Enterprises in Alexandria did such a good job that we have called them again for additional work. When planning the project, they were not only the lowest priced of the three companies considered ($10K vs. $14K vs. $16.5K) but had the best quality product when we looked at reference projects from each.
As in $10,000, $14,000 and $16,500?????? Sheesh!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:53 PM

303 posts, read 917,555 times
As the other posts have suggested, budget is relevant here. I heard of Hardwood Artisans here on this forum (from Saganista, I believe - thanks, S!) and have bought several products from them. The quality is amazing. They can do custom cases or you can buy ready-made.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Another place to look is Bare Woods in Chantilly, Bare Woods & Home Furnishings unfinished furniture of Chantilly,Warrenton,Virginia We had a similar need, an area beside our fireplace for a bookshelf but nothing ready made would fit. We were able to order the size we needed and then pick out the stain to match the rest of the room.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:05 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
As in $10,000, $14,000 and $16,500?????? Sheesh!
Where's the issue here? Since moving into the house, we try to do one large project each year to finish it as we want it to be as this is probably our 'forever' house. The bookcases are a permanent addition, and we wanted them to match the cherry cabinets in the adjacent kitchen. There are also see-through units flanking the dividing area between rooms, plus matching cherry crown in both rooms. I wanted it done right and this is what something like that costs. We're very pleased with the results.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 9,410 times
I had Robert Sanford of cabnut.com do my mahogany office desk and cabinets. My residence is where Cameron Station used to be. I bet the ground underneath never had such a wonderful thing sitting on it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia