Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:27 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Someone recommended Vamoose to me today. Has anyone tried this? Apparently it's a bus that makes several trips daily between Arlington and Penn Station in NYC. The trip costs $25.

If you tried this, did you like the ride? Would you recommend it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM

658 posts, read 1,784,970 times
I've rode Vamoose to NYC several times but from the Bethesda stop. I would recommend it hands down to Greyhound or the scary Chinatown buses.

The cost may be a little high, but the buses are clean and have working heat and A/C. It's also recommended to make a reservation as it become first come first serve if you do not.

Depending on the which bus you take, I believe the stop is near Penn Station or Times Square-you might want to check the website. Also, some buses do not stop at any rest stops so make sure to bring food/water just in case.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 PM

12 posts, read 49,989 times
I took Vamoose a few weeks ago. It does drop you off near Penn Station/ Madison Square Gardens. The trip was quicker than I thought. There were no rest stops. The bus was full and quiet. Trip back was the same. Full and quiet. The driver never made any sudden lane changes or stops. That was my first bus trip and I plan on more. Be sure to take cash or personal check for your fare. They don't take credit cards, even if you do make the reservation. I was never asked my name or if I had a reservation.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:19 PM

194 posts, read 590,027 times
Chinatown bus handsdown. The cheapest, and uber fast. I don't understand how you can call it scary.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 PM

658 posts, read 1,784,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis15 View Post
Chinatown bus handsdown. The cheapest, and uber fast. I don't understand how you can call it scary.
I was exgarrating a little. I'm basing this solely on my bad experiences with the Chinatown bus lines. The bus was filthy, overcrowded, and worst off broke down on the NJ turnpike. I've heard other horror stories that were much worse than mine, but that's not to say all Chinatown buses are bad. It's a case of you get what you pay for.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:44 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Is there a good place to park if you leave from Arlington? I want to make a trip lasting several days, but am worried about leaving my car on the street for that long.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:16 AM

449 posts, read 1,393,428 times
Here is a link from Vamoose that provides parking information in the Arlington area.

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Department...20Corridor.pdf

Old 09-24-2008, 02:15 PM

194 posts, read 590,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
I was exgarrating a little. I'm basing this solely on my bad experiences with the Chinatown bus lines. The bus was filthy, overcrowded, and worst off broke down on the NJ turnpike. I've heard other horror stories that were much worse than mine, but that's not to say all Chinatown buses are bad. It's a case of you get what you pay for.
All of the buses I've rode were like Greyhounds and clean. Overcrowding? What does that mean? Like there were people standing up on the drive up there?

You can't beat $35 round trip.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I haven't taken Vamoose but I'd consider it along with a few other upstart NYC-bound bus services. I also have an overall negative impression of the "Chinatown" buses based on a year's worth of monthly trips between Philly and DC. The drivers plowed their way up and down I-95 at an average of 90mph while talking on their cell phones. Occasionally they would make an impromptu stop to fill up at a gas station. (Couldn't you have done that between trips?) Customer service was prickly unless perhaps you were fluent in Chinese. If you had luggage that you wanted to store under the bus, you'd often share space with freight that they were shipping. Sure it was super cheap (maybe $30 round trip) but you definitely got what you paid for.

Just my .02.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:20 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I wouldn't ride any of the fly-by-night bus lines. Those motorcoaches are leased back and forth and sideways so much that it is often impossible to determine just who owns them. Which is important if your survivors want to file a wrongful death lawsuit.

Plus bus maintenance may be non-existant or blatantly illegal....wasn't there a fatal bus wreck recently in Texas caused by a retreaded tire on the steering axle?

If I HAD to ride a bus, I'd take Greyhound...at least it is part of a large corporation that can be served papers if necessary.

Actually, I'd take the train....it doesn't cost that much more.....and there's just way too many lunatics on interstate buses. Some nut in Canada recently DECAPITATED his seatmate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia