U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-29-2010, 01:14 PM

44 posts, read 74,601 times
My husband works in Chantilly and we used to live in Stone Ridge---5 miles from where he worked and it would sometimes take him 45 min in the morning to get there. It was actually an easier commute for him from Herndon. We just moved to Bristow/Gainesville area and the commute is longer but we were able to buy a brand new single family home w/ 1/3 acre---we have 2 little boys and 2 big dogs so this is perfect for us. He makes a little over $100k and I'm a stay at home mom, we have 1 car payment and are doing ok. The commute from here isn't great, he takes back roads to get to work and it's approx 35-45 min commute but it's worth it to have a house. His hours are 8:30-5pm which is peak travel time here.

You can get a nice single family home for less than $450k in Gainesville/Bristow, it's about $100k more in South Riding/Stone Ridge area for the same house. You can do even better if you don't want/need a new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-29-2010, 09:37 PM

15 posts, read 17,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlindqui View Post
My husband has a job offer in Chantilly for 100k. Is it possible to live in the area on that salary? Can you own a home with room for a dog/kids? Where would you recommend looking for a family-friendly place to live on that salary and keep the commute to a minimum? We currently live in Champaign/Urbana, IL and have lived in IL our whole lives, so it is a big change. Cost of living calculators say we need anywhere from 115-130k to maintain our standard of living, but who knows the accuracy there?! Thanks for your help!
mlindqui,

I just moved back to the area after living in Southern IL (metro St. Louis area) for the past 6 years. Really the cost of living is the same EXCEPT for the house prices. I agree that you will most likely be looking at a townhouse in Chantilly/Centreville area. Start looking online and familiarize yourself with what a townhouse actually means in this area- I found it to be quite different than what are referred to as "townhouses" in the midwest. There are many families w/dogs who live in TH's here and both Chantilly and Centreville are good family areas.

Also, the traffic can be a real shocker so just some forwarning. I think the extra $$ you might spend to keep the commute shorter will be worth it in the end. The further away you go, the more you will get with respect to a single family home and possible ammenities, etc. but your commute will be terrible.

Any thoughts from other posters about the Franklin Farms area? I know there are a lot of single family homes there, but what about townhouses? I guess the commute from that area would depend on where her hubby's job is located in Chantilly....

Good luck with your move!

Unread 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,315,819 times
I live in the midwest and if you made 100k a year here you would be considered rich. In my town the average income for a household (both working usually) is around 45k a year. 500k house??? seriously?? If you spent 500k on a house here you would either have a mansion or live on 100s of acres of land. Ive always wondered how people on the east coast afford this kind of life. Where do you regular people live? Where does the guy who works at the walmart live? the local factory? Not everyone over there can be a doctor or lawyer, so what am I missing?

Unread 03-29-2010, 10:31 PM

1,652 posts, read 1,951,637 times
Sounds like you live in a relatively small town/city, danielj72.

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:00 AM

86 posts, read 116,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I live in the midwest and if you made 100k a year here you would be considered rich. In my town the average income for a household (both working usually) is around 45k a year. 500k house??? seriously?? If you spent 500k on a house here you would either have a mansion or live on 100s of acres of land. Ive always wondered how people on the east coast afford this kind of life. Where do you regular people live? Where does the guy who works at the walmart live? the local factory? Not everyone over there can be a doctor or lawyer, so what am I missing?
People for the government and its contractors.

That pretty much equals big $$$.

Guy who works at walmart lives in a cheap rental, most likely, heh

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:15 AM

11 posts, read 12,543 times
I appreciate all of your helpful posts. From the posts saying it is "doable" and our own searching it feels like it would be "making it work," you know...money might be a little tight (which is crazy considering how much money that is. As danielj72 said, around here 100k is upper class since the median income where we live is 60k.) My husband is having a round of negotiations, though, so we shall see.

I do have one more question, though. I noticed a lot of people talking about the commute being horrible (I totally believe it!) but I wonder why no one mentions riding a bike to work? No bike lanes or other reasons it is too dangerous? Just curious since my hubby rides to his job now in nice weather.

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:19 AM

5,557 posts, read 4,788,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 703 View Post
People for the government and its contractors.

That pretty much equals big $$$.

Guy who works at walmart lives in a cheap rental, most likely, heh
People on the east coast generally do not have a Walmart job as their career as someone in a small town would. The Walmart worker is usually:

1. retired and working for some extra cash
2. a mom who is trying to work some hours while the kids are in school
3. a part-time college student

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:21 AM

11 posts, read 12,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Where do you regular people live? Where does the guy who works at the walmart live? the local factory? Not everyone over there can be a doctor or lawyer, so what am I missing?
I thought the same thing, but my friend who lives in So. Cal. tells me, even the Wal-Mart/Starbucks guy makes a good 150% more per hour there. I imagine it is the same in NoVa.

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:33 AM

15,402 posts, read 16,327,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlindqui View Post
I wonder why no one mentions riding a bike to work? No bike lanes or other reasons it is too dangerous? Just curious since my hubby rides to his job now in nice weather.
I think it's too much of a PITA for most people here, although I know some people who ride a bike to work. They live in Leesburg near the W&OD and also work in the Tech Corridor near the W&OD. I guess the bottom line is if you live near the W&OD it's doable. Reston has a fair number of bike lanes, but they don't go everywhere. That seems to be the general problem--throughout Nova there are roads with bike lanes but unless you're lucky you probably wouldn't have bike lanes the entire distance from your house to your job. And riding without a bike lane would be too dangerous during rush hour, IMO.

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:36 AM

86 posts, read 116,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
People on the east coast generally do not have a Walmart job as their career as someone in a small town would. The Walmart worker is usually:

1. retired and working for some extra cash
2. a mom who is trying to work some hours while the kids are in school
3. a part-time college student
That might be..in a small rural town.

In NOVA its your FOB immigrant, barely making ends meet in this country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia