Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 12,542 times

Advertisements

Is this a crazy road at rush hour? I've been trying to figure out commuter routes, and this is the suggested route when I do Mapquest. Also - any websites that can tell me which roads are toll roads?

My fiance and I are looking to move to Leesburg (and pay around $1000 in rent) or a similarly close area to Sterling (where he'll be working).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
rt 7 (harry byrd aka leesburg pike etvc...) between Leesburg and sterling isn't too bad. 7am will be the worst time to go though. pass 8am and it lightens up. I made it to Great Falls today (in past Reston) in under 45min. I left at 8:15 and at the Doc's at 8:55.

The toll road aka Dullas Greenway or 267 is good but it's expensive esp if you are just going to Sterling. The traffic backs up through Ashburn with the lights but once you get past 28 it opens up.

I would look at renting in Ashburn or Dullas as well as Leesburg. (sterling is not my favorite part of town) If Sterling look at the Cascades area off of Palasades pky (by home depot) That area can walk to shopping and resturants.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:39 PM

145 posts, read 834,511 times
5stones speaks the truth. Remember, if you test the commute in two weeks it will seem so much easier because school will be out. It makes a huge difference in the summer.
I take 7 east in the mornings, passing Leesburg around 8:30am and hitting 28 south around 8:50am. Right at Ashburn Village Blvd it starts to get slow, but the lights are actually timed pretty decently.
In the evenings it's the same, if you go after 6:30 it's quicker. I go from Hamilton to Herndon every day in 30-40 minutes. I used to take the Greenway in the morning and 28-7 in the evening, but now I do the opposite.
Half an hour isn't too bad around here, and Leesburg is a nicer place to live than Sterling. Each city has some shady parts.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 13,116 times
Default It also depends on what part of Leesburg

I live in LEesburg and I can bypass most of route 7 up to Ashburn Village Road via a backway and this cuts out traffic. and as another poster stated (sorry I forgot you name while I was registering to answer) traffic will calm somewhat with school being out.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:20 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
rivercreek pky? I use this alot.
it's a good short cut but be careful because they like to hand out tickets right and left! so sometimes it's a toss up if it's faster or not. I usually start out on 7 (55mph) then if it's really bad hope over to Rivercreek (35mph).
Comming home is not as good on rivercreek because it goes down to 1 lane and can really backed up (like yesterday )

I really like living in leesburg, it's VERY safe. my kids walk to the pool and play outside till dark. I can walk through my neighborhood at night without a problem! Downtown is very quaint and has some nice shopes and resturants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia