Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Only two kayakers have not made it and of those only one body was found. I was the girlfriend of the kayaker whose body was not found(Scott Bristow - November 1998). I was devastated. Experienced kayakers die at Great Falls and on many other rivers, but this is not an example of Darwinism at work.
Oh my goodness, I am so so sorry for your loss. What an absolute tragedy. I just went back and read some articles about him. It sounds like he was a great person and well-loved. I don't know how someone moves on after something like this, but I hope you have. My condolences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 04:16 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,503 times
Normie and michgc,

Thank you for your kind words. Moving on was not easy and took some time. I still paddle occasionally but life on the river has never been the same.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,070 times
Quote:
Only two kayakers have not made it and of those only one body was found. I was the girlfriend of the kayaker whose body was not found(Scott Bristow - November 1998). I was devastated. Experienced kayakers die at Great Falls and on many other rivers, but this is not an example of Darwinism at work.

I was kayaking the Potomac when this happened, not the day in specific but that time frame. I left work and paddled the river in the days after his death. The Potomac is my favorite river, and it holds a special place in my heart partly because I know that Scott is there with me whenever I visit.

When I was young and ignorant, I too thought people who paddled on and near the falls were crazy, but the more I boated and the more my skill levels improved, the more sane these boaters looked. Before Scott died, I was confident that I would have the skills to run the falls in a year or so, but then a tragic accident occured, and for the sake of my friends, family and baby girl, I made a concious decision to not attempt to run the falls. J, I hope you can find comfort in knowing that Scott may have saved my life. After a too many years hiatus from kayaking, I am going to get back into a boat this year, rest assured I will have my bomb-proof roll before I visit that stretch below the falls again.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
So, how much training should you have before you attempt kayaking at Great Falls?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:09 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
J, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:50 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
If you're serious about wanting to train to kayak near the falls, I'd talk to the people at Eastern Mountain Sports. But be aware that you really have to be in shape to kayak there. I'd try kayaking south of the Wilson Bridge on a windy day and see how it goes. If you find that "fun" and not "exhausting" than maybe you can consider the falls. But most people will be happier kayaking in the more peaceful spots like near Riverbend Park or near Fountainhead.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,503 times
Nomie - I'll have to disagree with you on this one - padding south of the Wilson Bridge on a windy day will not develop the necessary skills to paddle Great Falls. If one really wants to paddle great falls they need to develop expert skills in whitewater. In my estimation someone on the fast track (paddling 2-4 times a week) with trained instructors along the way (I used to be a certified ACA canoe instructor and know the difference between someone who knows how to teach proper padding skills and a friend who says "follow me" and you'll be "fine") could probably have the necessary skill to paddle Great Falls in 3 or 4 years. The necessary skills need to be developed on a series of increasingly difficult rivers, which will take some driving away from the DC area to find. Several months of class II water will have somone ready to move onto class III water (like the Lower Yough) once the Lower Yough and other class III rivers has been mastered it will be time to spend a year or so on class IV water. Only then would someone be ready to attempt Great Falls. Loosing a friend at Great Falls is an experience I wouldn't want anyone else to endure. Remember what can happen to experience paddlers at Great Falls!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:45 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Nomie - I'll have to disagree with you on this one - padding south of the Wilson Bridge on a windy day will not develop the necessary skills to paddle Great Falls.
Oh, I agree. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was saying that--I guess I didn't write that post very well. So thanks for fixing that and giving a better suggestion, because this is the sort of thing you don't want to underestimate.

What I was trying to say is I knew someone who thought he could handle a place like Great Falls but then he woke up to how much strength is required when he couldn't even handle a much milder place like south of the Wilson Bridge. Which is a very different thing from how it ended up sounding.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia