U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:03 PM

12 posts, read 27,783 times

Advertisements

hello all,
I have obtained valuable information from postings on a variety of topics. I need your help and information on the Fox field community especially reg the Townhouses. Myself and the wifey were out there last weekend looking for homes and we ventured into one of the townhomes in this area which we kinda liked except for the fact that they have electric stoves instead of gas. Our current priority is elementary school so any insight into the lees corner school and the surrounding area in general would be extremely helpful.

thx in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 PM

309 posts, read 738,699 times
It always made me wonder why those TH were less expensive than others close by and could only come to the conclusion that they were built more cheaply. The area is great (albeit congested) and you have easy access to FFX Parkway and Route 50. Shopping galore close by and Lees Corner gets a high score from greatschools.net. Having lived in that area, I was always under the impression that living in West Greenbriar and Navy school district was considered the top notch choice in that area. I would compare the Foxfield TH with maybe Fair Woods (neighborhood off Rugby) Alder Woods Crt, Dogwood Hills.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 AM

Thanks Claire. We have put in an offer on a older SF home in the greenbriar community. The home is closer to GreenBriar West and also to the shopping center. My real estate agent states that the area is very safe and that the close proximity to the shopping center is not something that we should be concerned about. We decided to move ahead with the offer because of the great school district and we personally like the community very much. We prefer a small house on a bigger lot than a huge house on a small lot. I would really appreciate comments from city-data users who live and are familiar with the area.

Thanks

Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 AM

486 posts, read 1,491,393 times
We looked at living in that area as well, but ultimately we headed a little further west.

Greenbriar is nice, especially Greenbriar West and that elementary school is really great from what I've read and heard. The homes are older and I know the prices in that area have dropped a lot over the last few years. I have frequented the Greenbriar shopping plaza a lot. There is a great kabob place there, asian take-out, starbucks, Giant grocer... you have everything right there.

You can always check out the crime stats from the Washington Post website too.

Good luck with the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkprl View Post
Thanks Claire. We have put in an offer on a older SF home in the greenbriar community. The home is closer to GreenBriar West and also to the shopping center. My real estate agent states that the area is very safe and that the close proximity to the shopping center is not something that we should be concerned about. We decided to move ahead with the offer because of the great school district and we personally like the community very much. We prefer a small house on a bigger lot than a huge house on a small lot. I would really appreciate comments from city-data users who live and are familiar with the area.

Thanks

Old 05-04-2010, 03:48 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,596,763 times
I've lived in the Greenbriar community for 30 years and it's a great neighborhood. The homes are older, but overall really well kept up. The schools are great and everything is nearby. Stringfellow Road is a real mess during rush hour but most people can either avoid it or work around it if you live in the neighborhood. There's a community newspaper, The Greenbriar Flyer, that comes out monthly, full of local information. There is a civic association, not a HOA, which has $25 fees/year. You get a community directory for that and that is great, not only to find neighbor's phone numbers but all the local stores, churches, resources, etc. Don't know the ages of children but there's an Easter egg hunt in the spring, Santa at the community center, neighborhood clean ups and many yardsales. In the summer there are concerts in the park by the pool. The pool is a private club, so you will need to buy a membership if you're interested. They aren't easy to come by (600 members which really is large for a neighborhood pool) so if you have the opportunity to get one, do. You can also rent for a year and should be able to find someone to rent from for the maintanance fees price and transfer fee. Welcome to the area!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,891,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
...Stringfellow Road is a real mess during rush hour but most people can either avoid it or work around it if you live in the neighborhood...

I used to drive an A.M. bus route into Rocky Run Middle...and it seems to me that it's the Rocky Run Kiss & Ride that causes most of the mess on Stringfellow. The Kiss & Ride lot gets full and that's it...nobody moves on Stringfellow until there's room in the Kiss & Ride for more cars.

I've driven out of a lot of schools and Rocky Run seems to have more parents driving their kids to school than even some much larger high schools.

I guess there is no solution to it...FCPS will never risk offending those parents....and they certainly don't have the dough to enlarge the Kiss & Ride lot...

Old 05-05-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I used to drive an A.M. bus route into Rocky Run Middle...and it seems to me that it's the Rocky Run Kiss & Ride that causes most of the mess on Stringfellow. The Kiss & Ride lot gets full and that's it...nobody moves on Stringfellow until there's room in the Kiss & Ride for more cars.
Yes, that's a mess, and I don't even want to think how many of those students are probably walkers. But, the other time is southbound from Rt. 50 to Fair Lakes Parkway at evening rush hour. It can take up to 30 minutes to go from Rt. 50 to there. Another one is in the mornings, northbound for the high school, especially if it's raining. Can't let them walk. Answer is to avoid Stringfellow, and that's also why there are now "calming bumps" on Melville lane in Greenbriar and a four way stop at Middleridge and Pt. Pleasant. It's a community, not a cut through.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 AM

Thanks for all your inputs. The seller accepted our offer. The appraisal is next. I did an inspection earlier and the report was clean except for a GFI switch needed in the master bath and a trap needed in the kitchen sink. However given that this is an older home i'm planning on getting a home warranty policy. I appreciate any recomendations for a home warranty company?.

Also choff5, this is probably too early in the game, but what are the options in greenbriar for trash removal?

Last edited by blkprl; 05-06-2010 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-06-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkprl View Post
Also choff5, this is probably too early in the game, but what are the options in greenbriar for trash removal?
Great! I'm glad it's working out. As for trash removal, the two I see in here are AAA and All American (think that's the name). AAA is supposed to have a rate for the neighborhood, something like $80/quarter, so if you call them, make sure to ask specifically for this neighborhood. Although, I wouldn't doubt if it's the same elsewhere and they are just saying that, and the other one matches it I bet. We have AAA, pick up twice/week, one day is recyclables, plus brush pickup too. Hopes that helps out. Once you're in, you SHOULD get a welcome packet from your block captain, but that isn't always as active as it could be. If you don't, DM me and I'll get someone to get you infomration. I've lived here long enough to know many of the association board.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:34 PM

Thanks choff5!....I signed up for AAA and you were right about the pricing for the greenbriar neighborhood...i'll let you know if get the welcome packet....
The plan is to close by the end of this month which should be doable given that the loan side is fine...Got a quote from Verizon for internet/cable, I hate the fact of paying a monthly fee on those setup boxes/DVR's....

next step is to cancel/transfer my existing utility accounts over...i'll let you know how it goes..
i work in tysons, which route would be reasonable in the morning...i leave for work early about 7ish..

thanks again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or