Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 7,999 times

Advertisements

Definitely didn't mean to start a political war, but since liberal is often conflated with progressivism, progress = moving forward, and the opposite of forward is backward, then yes, I consider uber-conservatism to be "backward". I wasn't expecting the area to be Berkeley by any means, but I was hoping it wasn't as (what I consider) backward - good ol' boys driving around in Confederate flag adorned trucks, preaching about women's uteruses while ignoring the children that come out of them, bashing gays - literally and figuratively, and glaring at interracial couples - as the town where I grew up (hit right on the nose - cornfield in central IL).

I was just wondering if there was an area in the Valley where I could find a good recycling program, decent public school system, more union jobs than Wal-Mart jobs, diversified culture... it's less about how the people vote, and more how they act.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyfrak View Post
Definitely didn't mean to start a political war, but since liberal is often conflated with progressivism, progress = moving forward, and the opposite of forward is backward, then yes, I consider uber-conservatism to be "backward".
Sorry, I don't see any evidence that you started a political war. All I see is people attempting to answer your question. The reason I'm sorry is I get the impression starting a political war was your intention. Ahhhh Spring Break. The kiddies are bored and looking to stir up some excitement.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I was just wondering if there was an area in the Valley where I could find a good recycling program,
Yes.

Quote:
decent public school system,
Absolutely.

Quote:
more union jobs than Wal-Mart jobs
No idea, but I don't think of Nova or DC as a heavily unionized area.

Quote:
diversified culture.
Lots of different kinds of people, with a variety of cultures. Many of them are conservative cultures.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
good ol' boys driving around in Confederate flag adorned trucks, preaching about women's uteruses while ignoring the children that come out of them, bashing gays - literally and figuratively, and glaring at interracial couples
This does not describe anyone I know from Front Royal.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:40 AM

461 posts, read 909,580 times
Quote:
Definitely didn't mean to start a political war, but since liberal is often conflated with progressivism, progress = moving forward, and the opposite of forward is backward, then yes, I consider uber-conservatism to be "backward". I wasn't expecting the area to be Berkeley by any means, but I was hoping it wasn't as (what I consider) backward - good ol' boys driving around in Confederate flag adorned trucks, preaching about women's uteruses while ignoring the children that come out of them, bashing gays - literally and figuratively, and glaring at interracial couples - as the town where I grew up (hit right on the nose - cornfield in central IL).

I was just wondering if there was an area in the Valley where I could find a good recycling program, decent public school system, more union jobs than Wal-Mart jobs, diversified culture... it's less about how the people vote, and more how they act.
I"m telling you the truth that with the attitude that you just expressed, you will be very unhappy there. Sure, some DC area people find their way there, but it's very white and very pickup truck. You'll be judgmental of them, and they will pick up your accent and attitude and seriously not like you. Guns and God still rule there, despite some urban overflow.

You belong in Maryland. There is a stretch between Baltimore and DC that has some nice outdoors but is still liberal enough to keep you from getting beaten up. If you haven't been around good ol boys, this is a real concern because I doubt that you know how to act around them.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:52 AM

I'd even say that although I like visiting the area, the mix of urban rudeness and rural pluckiness seems to bring out the worst in everyone. There is a rental service that I have used there where the phone is always answered by someone with a Northern accent. They leave signs all over the rental units, plug for a tip, but if there is anything wrong, they blame you, and try to rip you off when they can.

The last time that I was there, I was pulling out on to an empty road when a speeding car came around the corner was forced to slow down because of me. I stuck my arm out of the window to point out a turtle that was in the road. The car nearly took my arm off, and I had the watch the large turtle explode in front of my eyes. Living creature to meat and blood flying everywhere. Very disturbing, but that's how folks act there. People are unfriendly on the trails there too. I could go on.

Beautiful country, but don't live there, and expect nothing from the people there. If you are looking from anything behavior wise from people there, you are doubly looking in the wrong place.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,472 times
sydneyfrak, what town in central IL? Confederate flags? Must be on the southern edge of "central."

Some members of my SO's family are from Mount Carmel (in southern IL), while some of my own are from the Freeport area (in northern IL). The former are Southern with a capital 'S' (and deeply proud of this, apparently - they remind me a lot of Missourians, actually) while the Freeport people are as Northern as you get (complete with cute Wisconsin accents ) and as disdainful towards Southerners as you seem to be. (Don't worry, Southerners - I'm not disdainful towards you. Some of my favorite towns are in the South.)

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 04-03-2010 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-03-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
This does not describe anyone I know from Front Royal.
I agree with normie on this but have to qualify the interracial. For some reason that I don't understand, interracial couples do not feel comfortable in NOVA, even in the more populated areas. They seem to pick up on something despite their relative large numbers (in the urban areas). Maryland is a different ball of wax on this topic like many others.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:05 PM

309 posts, read 828,373 times
good ol' boys driving around in Confederate flag adorned trucks, preaching about women's uteruses while ignoring the children that come out of them, bashing gays - literally and figuratively, and glaring at interracial couples - as the town where I grew up (hit right on the nose - cornfield in central IL).

I think you will still find people like this, but I think they would be in the minority. The DC metro area has expanded terrifically. I have friends that moved to Star Tannery (30 minutes from Winchester and right at the WV border) and she would tell people that she was from R O C K V I L L E and go on to explain to the country folk where Rockville, MD was. Everyone laughed at her and said, "Uh, yeah, we used to live in Fairfax"

Old 04-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
For some reason that I don't understand, interracial couples do not feel comfortable in NOVA, even in the more populated areas.
LOL, I don't think so. That would be news to several of the regulars who post on this forum and who also happen to be in interracial marriages or are members of racially mixed families. I always thought it was interesting how many regulars on this forum have racially mixed families, but it makes sense--it's because Northern Virginia is one of the most racially diverse areas in the country.

Last edited by normie; 04-03-2010 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia