U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 PM

110 posts, read 223,549 times

Advertisements

How cool is it that we get a great quake mere days before we leave SoCal?

I was just saying the other day "We haven't had a good rumbler in a while. I hope we get a good one before we leave".

Standing in my grannies kitchen lookin over the ham and BAMM!

Well, actually it was a roller cuz we're a ways from the epi, but it rolled for a couple of minutes.

Oh, I'm gonna miss Cali!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 08:00 PM

8,121 posts, read 12,692,975 times
There was an earthquake? Was it "big"?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:25 PM

696 posts, read 1,499,434 times
I saw that there was a quake in Cali today. Can't say I miss those west coast quakes. Here in VA I was just advised on tornadoes and how to deal with those.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:26 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,900,164 times
They say we have little bitty quakes here....but I've never felt one.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:24 PM

110 posts, read 223,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
There was an earthquake? Was it "big"?
That's so awesome! It's on every freakin channel here... People talking about whether it rolled or shook... Home video of pool water moving...

And you all didn't even know it happened.

You all should see what happens when it rains hard here in SoCal.

Yep, it's called "Storm Watch" and it consumes every channel. Pretty much on-site discussions about water falling from the sky is all it is.

Anyway, yeah we had a 7.2 today. Epicenter was in Mexicali Mexico about 3 hours south of me.

3 hours away at that intensity means ROLLS. F'n BIG ONES! It was awesome!

Old 04-05-2010, 04:29 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,369,992 times
Get ready to trade earthquakes to tornados. And severe thunderstorms.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:19 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,832,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
I saw that there was a quake in Cali today. Can't say I miss those west coast quakes. Here in VA I was just advised on tornadoes and how to deal with those.
Tornadoes aren't a big problem here. We get them, but it's nothing like what they get in the midwest. Mostly they hit east of Nova (St. Mary's and Eastern Shore of Maryland). We had a hurricane come through once (Isabel, about 6-7 years ago). By the time it reached northern Virginia it was pretty mild, barely strong enough to be called a hurricane anymore. That's been the only seriously big wind storm I can recall.

Flooding can be a problem in the spring when the mountain snows melt, but it's really only a problem if you live right along the river. We sometimes get heavy rains and thunderstorms.

Last edited by normie; 04-05-2010 at 05:36 AM..

Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,647,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Tornadoes aren't a big problem here. We get them, but it's nothing like what they get in the midwest. Mostly they hit east of Nova (St. Mary's and Eastern Shore of Maryland). We had a hurricane come through once (Isabel, about 6-7 years ago). By the time it reached northern Virginia it was pretty mild, barely strong enough to be called a hurricane anymore. That's been the only seriously big wind storm I can recall.
We did have a fairly bad tornado incident a few years back, though - here's a pretty good summary of what happened. (http://www.waterfordva-wca.org/general_articles/04-tornadoes-hit-loudoun.htm - broken link) The tornadoes were related to Hurricane Ivan.

We also had a lot of damage in our neighborhood from Hurricane Isabel - siding, gutters, and trees mostly - especially since Brambleton was pretty new at the time.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,900,164 times
We had a good twister here on April Fools Day 1973.

It tore the roof off of Woodson High School and leveled a few houses in Country Club View (Sideburn Rd).

A Look Back at Braddock District History (http://braddockheritage.org/resources/item/67/ - broken link)

Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,585,325 times
Aww, I miss Cali's earthquakes. I feel a little sick saying that (no one should enjoy a natural disaster), but they were always kind of fun.

The DC area has pretty mild weather on all accounts. They get a little of everything (100 degree temps, snow, hurricanes, tornadoes, thunderstorms), but none of it is as extreme as other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia